Midway

Thread: Midway

Midway

There is alot that hasn't been covered during the Battle of Midway for CFS2.I know missions of the carrier ops and the attack on Midway Island have been done.

How many know there was a PBY torpedo attack on the IJN Transports with one ship hit?

There were also several B-17 searches and attacks.What about the B-26 attacks,Vindicator,Dauntless attacks(from Midway) and Avengers from Hornets torpedo group stationed on Midway?

Just some thoughts.

TheBookie

If some one wants to take a stab at it the below PDF link may be usefull but I can't make heads or tails of the charts as they cram every thing onto one chart from what I can tell.

https://www.history.navy.mil/content...way-170519.pdf
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Thanks Allen!
    Nice document!

Most of the charts, except for the first one, are pretty straight forward- at least they seem so to me at first glance.

However, the first big chart- the battle overview chart- is a tad hard to follow because they have divided it into 4 quadrant views.

I copied and pasted together a full size version with the 4 quadrants fitted together.

The action, from what I can tell, starts down in the lower left hand corner and proceeds NE from there with each particular phase of the battle given its own little outlined & shaded area.

Its fairly legible- may require a little squinting here and there.

To copy/save just right click on the image, choose view image, left click the magnifying glass then right click to copy and/or save.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

I have this book. Pretty detailed in color!
    https://ospreypublishing.com/midway-...ore=osprey_usa

Still find the chart useless as before as I can't see what day any thing happen. WTF was wrong with a chart for each day?!?!

Icon22

LOL! Oh come on.

Each shaded and outlined area is a different day and each of them is labeled with the day near the top right corner of each outlined area.

The lower left area is June 3.

The next shaded area NE and the most North-easterly areas are June 4.

The large area in between the two June 4 areas is June 5.

And finally, the area sitting above the first June 4 area, is June 6.

Easy acne! :^)

I'll conced that at first blush it isn't the most intuitively obvious diagram I have ever seen. It doesn't win many clarity points.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

BTW, I am sure I have discovered nothing new, but here is a good link:

THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY INCLUDING THE
    ALEUTIAN PHASE, JUNE 3 TO JUNE 14, 1942.
    STRATEGICAL AND TACTICAL ANALYSIS

Richard W. Bates

Naval War College
    Prepared for:

Bureau of Naval Personnel

Lots of great diagrams of each day as well as diagrams focusing on specific happening on each day with lots of great text descriptions too.

Cheer,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

There were a few missions done by Enrique Goodoy, Jaegflyer, the AF team and a person with the initials MC.
    I did a few missions many years ago.
    PBY, B17, TBF, Vindicator and Marauder attacks.
    And I arranged them in some sort of chronological order.
    I have attached them as such.
    They do not have any updated ships.
    Cheers
    Stuart
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by stuart277 View Post
    There were a few missions done by Enrique Goodoy, Jaegflyer, the AF team and a person with the initials MC.
    I did a few missions many years ago.
    PBY, B17, TBF, Vindicator and Marauder attacks.
    And I arranged them in some sort of chronological order.
    I have attached them as such.
    They do not have any updated ships.
    Cheers
    Stuart
    I knew missions were done but thought only the fighters protecting Midway.It was many years ago so guess I forgot about the others.

TheBookie

Never saw the dates on the boxes...

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Never saw the dates on the boxes...
    Hiya Allen,

Hehe! Happens to the best of us!

If you haven't ever visited the link I posted above, you should give it a gander. as I said earlier, some beautiful charts- not only of each day's happenings but also charts of specific evens during each day. (BTW, the link is in the blue-shaded text!)

Cheers!
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Looked at the pages and was messing around in MB than stuart277 posted already done missions so closed MB knowing the work was already done.

Looked at the pages and was messing around in MB than stuart277 posted already done missions so closed MB knowing the work was already done.
    Actually some of what's in the doc is not true.I have done research on this from both sides for years.The first book I read about Midway was in 1965,another good book was The Big E which I still have for over 40 years and which you can get in PDF format now.

TheBookie

Fellas....for a thorough examination of the Battle of Midway you can't beat Parshall and Tully's exhaustive 2005 work Shattered Sword with a Forward by John B. Lundstrom. It's a slog, but for the most detailed and comprehensive description of the battle, albeit mostly from the Japanese view, I recommend it. When the new movie came out I loaned my copy out to two or three acquaintances to read before they went to the movie. They couldn't put it down.

I also gave thought of doing missions to cover this and also the carrier attacks and defense.Maybe about 15 to 20 missions.Figured there were better qualified mission builders.

TheBookie

Members who have read this thread: 1