Virtavia Phantom II PatchPack.zip

Thread: Virtavia Phantom II PatchPack.zip

Virtavia Phantom II PatchPack.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Other

Description: This PatchPack will make the Virtavia Phantom II compatible with FSX and all versions of P3D, including the 64 bit version 4.

I have strived to preserve all functionality and appearance as close to the original as possible, not add new stuff.

The original FS9 package (freeware) is required, download instructions are included in the readme file.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Virtavia Phantom II PatchPack.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Blog Entries
    Hi Penz!

Thanks so much for converting these. I doubt we'll ever see another RF-4 Phantom model released, and so bringing this one back from the FS9 portover state as a conversion to fully P3D4.5 compliant is wonderful. I'll likely dig further into packs 1 and 2, but since I'm such a big recce fan, I'll focus on the 3 to start.

First, the model looks superb. Exquisit work, and I put on @Duckie's paints, and it's simply gorgeous in 4.5. A couple of things:

1) True airspeed indicator. When you fall below 200 kits, you'd expect to see 19X on the readout. You actually see "10X" The "9" doesn't show. Below 190, then it shows correctly (18X) and the other speed ranges (17X, 160X, 15X), etc all appear to display correctly.

2) Refueling probe switch. It doesn't move or activate the probe. The chute switch works as per your diagram, but I can't get the probe to work work. It used to be an "exit" - but I tried CTRL+E+3/4/5 and nothing worked.

3) I'm missing wingtip and landing lights. I may have missed them from the original pack, but I can't get them to display.

4) Slime lights - I assume these aren't operable, but I thought I'd ask.

5) Nosegear extension for cat launch. Both the RF and the UK models would have had it. Anyway it could be implemented using the launch bar command? Just a thought.

5) AB effects - not showing. I think like with 3) I may be missing something from the original pack.

6) air file. Not your issue, obviously, but since the plane is crazy overpowered, I'm curious if you've found aliasing it to a payware Phantom .air would give better results. I can mess around, but wondering before doing so if you had.

Again, am thrilled to have this model, and with a bit of polish, should be an absolute gem.

Thanks!

dl

Thank you for your comments DL, just what I needed to make it better!

1: This is one of the XML gauges I "inherited" (with kind permission) from the old SOH Phantom project. I noticed that myself, I'll try to see if I can fix that.

2: The recce models have no refueling probe, so if they are the only ones you have tried, that's why!

3: I can see now that the pack 3 "aircraft.cfg" does not have wingtip lights in the [lights] section, thank you for pointing that out! This is not something I have changed, so it would have been the same in FS9, I suppose. However, it should be pretty easy to add those, and I certainly will. As for the landing light, it is there, but I discovered that it shoots too high, I have already fixed that.

4: Not all the models in pack 3 have slime lights, but for those that do (model.4 and model.5), you can make them active at night by making a copy of "sidelights_T.bmp" and naming it "sidelights_L.bmp". This is how it works for those models in packs 1 and 2 that have slime lights.

5: Nose gear extension is only available on the FG.1 model from pack 3 (model.2). This is mentioned in the readme file.

5b: The AB effect ("fx_reheat_Virtavia Phantom.fx") should work, even in pack 3. It works in my installation.

6: I have only tried the original .air file, and I don't own any payware F-4's, sorry. I'm definitely not an expert on .air files.

Cheers,
    JP
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Blog Entries
    Hi Penz,

Thanks for the quick response.

Regarding the aerial refueling, I believe the RF-4B did have it, as per here:

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/it...issance-9096f7

That said, I vaguely recall Alphasim modelling the C, which would have had the spine receptacle refueling port, instead of the navy-style probe. Not a biggie if it can't be modelled.

Thanks for looking at the gauge - since a lot happens on landing between 190 kts and 160 kts, it'd be great if that could be fixed.

Regarding the slime lights, I meant more could then actually light up. On the repaints I have installed from Mike Pearson and Steve Bryant, they're visible. They're just not operable. I suspect that's not possible if it's a model issue, and this is no biggie.

Regarding nose extension, it was available in the RF-4B, inasmuch as it was standard for all carrier-launched Phantoms (B,J,N,S, RF-), seen here:

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/306526318383736134/

I suspect that again, this model doesn't have it due to it being more a USAF focused C model and so just is missing altogether. Not sure if that's implementable, but thought I'd at least ask.

Thanks for looking into the wingtip lights - any way those could be modelled in, rather than stuck on in the aircraft.cfg? Because that means when you fold the wings, the lights will stay suspended in space. I hope that's doable.

I'll look into what AB effects I'm missing.

Thanks again!

dl

PS - I'd strongly suggest re categorizing the file type. It's now listed as a FS2004 file, whereas it should be P3D. I happened to find this file by lookoing at the latest "new" (ie, everything) files. But if in a few days, when it gets pushed further down, people will start to actually use search terms and filters, and if they filter by P3D, they'll miss this altogether. This is/will be a remarkable addon, and it'd be a shame to have it lost from view. In fact, when you fix all the stuff, I'd suggest a thread in the P3D section. Until I opened the file, I had no idea there was Pack 1 and 2 models. I was blown away. Unlike me, most folks will be more interested in those, but since your screenshot only showed the RF, many may not have even bothered to look.

For my part, I'm very unhappy with my Milviz F-4J in P3D - completely unflyable and constantly crashes my sim, so to get a non IRST nose Phantom, this package just might be the solution. I guarantee you I'm not the only one. Like I said, I haven't dug into Packs 1 and 2 yet - but I'm thoroughly shocked at how good the RF looks for such an old model, and I expect those to be no different when dressed up with some of the better repaints. The wide availability of some great paints by guys like Gus Robatto and Steve Bryant and others make this a massively valuable addon. You deserve more recognition for this than you're getting. I'll do what I can when I get time to post pics. I'll even start the thread for you, if you like, though you deserve to start it as it's your project.

Many kind thanks.

Once again thanks for your feedback DL, I will certainly take your comments into consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Regarding the slime lights, I meant more could then actually light up. On the repaints I have installed from Mike Pearson and Steve Bryant, they're visible. They're just not operable. I suspect that's not possible if it's a model issue, and this is no biggie.
    If you do the copy trick from my post above, they will be lit at night. But maybe by "operable" you mean "can be switched on and off"? That can probably be done too, but that would require more model butchering.

-JP

PS: I originally posted the patch in "FS addons" (the mother folder for all MSFS-derived versions), that seemed right to me, as it works in all "FSX+" sims. It must have been re-categorized by someone else.

Blog Entries
    Thanks JP,

In my defence, I was only flying during the day, I didn't realize the slime textures were illuminated at night. That's a decent workaround, if that's the only way. Again, not a biggie.

As to any last request, if there's a way to remove the bombs from the J model, that would be superb. Alphasim modelled a rather strange combinations of loadouts. For much of the flying, the central fuel tank and Sparrpw+Sidewinders is more than sufficient. It's really a shame to have to lug those all the time.

I look forward to trying the rest of this package - and especially to whatever updates you're able to do.

Kindest regards,

DL

OK, here is what I have done since yesterday:

1: Added nav lights and strobes to pack 3, like in pack 1 and 2 (config file, not embedded in model, that will require quite a lot of work, and will need to be done for every.single.model! Not sure if I want to do that, to be honest.).
    2: Fixed the airspeed gauge.
    3: Made a special "J" model hack for DL, with 2 sidewinders, 2 sparrows and center tank, to be included as "model.6" in pack 1.

I'll probably collect the current fixes and additions in a "PatchPack2", stay tuned.

-JP

Blog Entries
    Hi JP!!

That's magnificent. Thanks so much. That J model loadout will be very popular - a lot of folks complained about the bomb loadout in the J.

Many kind thanks - I'll keep an eye open for the update.

Kind regards,

dl

Just uploaded version 1.1 to the library.

This version is no longer supported, and the library entry has been deleted.

New version: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-versions)-zip

-JP

Members who have read this thread: 0