Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is probably a goner

Thread: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is probably a goner

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is probably a goner

I've had my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for about 10 years now, used on practically a daily basis unless we're on vacation or I'm laid up. Within the past two days I've had a "balloon" flickering on and off in the extreme lower right of my screen saying my "device" ("Logitech") is alternately installed or not recognized. When it happens it goes on and on for several minutes. Today I fired up one of my FSX iterations and found the sim does not recognize the joystick any longer, no matter which USB port I transfer it to on the back of the computer. Every other device or drive plugged in to the ports on the rear of the computer is working fine. I've used the standard "ctrl-K" key command to try to reactivate the joystick in case it got deactivated somehow but no joy. I've also been to the Logitech website and downloaded the driver for this device to attempt to refresh it and did so, with no effect (interesting note - according to the Logitech site the driver for this joystick has not been updated since 2010 (?). Now, on the control panel (I'm running W7 Home Premium, SP1, with an AMD Phenom ZII X4 940 processor, 3.00GHz, 12.0GB installed ram, 64-bit OS), under "Hardware & Sound - view devices and printers" I see the Logitech Extreme 3D with a yellow triangle next to it. The readout that appears, when the icon is right-clicked, says, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"

So according to the machine the driver I need to operate the joystick is already in the machine but is somehow not providing support to the device, and I can not re-install the needed driver over the existing installation. I don't know if this is a hardware problem w/the machine, a driver issue - or if the joystick is finally worn out. Half the buttons on it don't work, it needs recalibration every single time I start the sim, even if it's just a restart to check a texture issue or a new install of something. The "X" that allows tracking of the handle when making complete circles during recalibration quivers sometimes without my touching it; in addition the throttle quadrant does not return to "0%" after calibration when I pull the throttles/thrust levers back to the cut-off stops. Always seems to stop at around 14% or so.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or what the device, maybe, is doing after all these years?

Probably dying of old age.
    Most sticks are mechanical....they move...and movement means wear...and contact wear....aka contact failure.
    Googling the issue might find others who have worked out ways of 'servicing' to eke out its existence.

I gave up on floppy sticks....got an X65F that responds to pressure, not movement....so there's nothing to move/wear [other than hat switches, etc].
    OK, so it's a bit weird at first...but you get used to it...

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    thanks, JAFO

3 Qs -

1 - who markets that stick?

2 - cost?

3 - HDMI/USB compliant?

BTW forgot to add to the original post - my antivirus and malware protection are both real-time and both on full-time so hopefully have headed off any virus/MW adrift on the web. Plus I completed a system-wide virus scan the morning this started - no detections. And I've run that scan before and the joystick has never batted an eye.

I do believe you are correct.

https://www.gamesmen.com.au/cont-pc-...flight-control
    Saitek.
    Probably discontinued...but may be worth hunting Ebay....may not have been popular because it's not 'normal'...
    Connects via Usb ....never had an issue with it....my previous got a bit fussy like yours....that was a Saitek X-52....on which I had to do a bit of surgery on the centering spring...

Cost wise...not all that cheap....about 450 AUD [250-ish USD].

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    OK, JAFO. Thanks!

The Logitech 3D is pretty hard to beat for the money, $35. US., particularly if you don't have a dedicated space for peripherals. Other sticks are quite a bit larger and sit too high if they rest on a typical desktop. My two Logitechs are rather old and have never skipped a beat.

Members who have read this thread: 0