Hunkered down, here in Pensacola - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunkered down, here in Pensacola

Cool

Pine cones Gordon? Phew, you are more cut out for this than we all thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    OK...so some random thoughts and comments.
    Well.....I had to come to a flight simulator website to find one of the most rational postings I've read so far. I can't disagree with your description of the global scenario.

One thing I've noticed on a personal level is more and more encounters with individuals (at 6' + distance please...) who claim to be pulling out their guns & ammo, cleaning and sighting everything with the idea that it's all going Mad Max in the next little while.

Certainly a lot of history will show that those living in an urban centre will be at max disadvantage, regardless the form it takes on in the next few weeks, months, years.

Regarding China, looking past the international financial side of projected loss, I still think they can out-weather anybody else on the planet. Quite simply the Communist Party is inside everything. Every board meeting, every employee safety meeting, every bloody broom closet.

The ability of Beijing to extend real decision making power in real time to every single inch of the country is right off the scale compared to.....anybody else on the planet. I suspect they're willing and ready to allow some sacrificial damage in order to extend a greater "international financial strategy".....an amount that may seem ludicrous to outsiders looking in. Should the C-19 virus be proven to be purposefully release, then that alone is a small example of the sort of sacrifice that Beijing would labour under in order to further incapacitate their traditional competitors, or, anybody they could see as a threat.

( That would be anybody who is not currently under their thumb...)

Expect creativity that is off the scale, and if the thing fails to meet their goals, expect a public temper tantrum that should be quite amusing in the end.

I'm very reluctant to go into a further speculative analysis as it would become quite socio-political, and this ain't the place. But I think that the simple policy of keeping a balanced sense of observance or vigilance, and preparing for a reasonable worst case scenario wouldn't be a bad personal policy.

Unfortunately, my wife & I (like most, I think) live in suburbia. We own our home, but that isn't much of a plus right now. I don't even pretend to understand the workings of the stock market, etc... We are debt free, but again, but whatever. We don't have access to any fish hatcheries, nor do we have a geo-thermal anything. County water & electricity. The nearest lake is about a hour away. We're definitely not self-sufficient. So, if (and I pray IF) the crap hits the fan, we would be ok for a few days, then chaos would naturally ensue, and I guess our time on this earth would come to a end. No other way to look at it, realistically. NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Unfortunately, my wife & I (like most, I think) live in suburbia. We own our home, but that isn't much of a plus right now. I don't even pretend to understand the workings of the stock market, etc... We are debt free, but again, but whatever. We don't have access to any fish hatcheries, nor do we have a geo-thermal anything. County water & electricity. The nearest lake is about a hour away. We're definitely not self-sufficient. So, if (and I pray IF) the crap hits the fan, we would be ok for a few days, then chaos would naturally ensue, and I guess our time on this earth would come to a end. No other way to look at it, realistically. NC
    Pete, focus on your strengths and training.

You live in a perpetual growing climate. A back yard can produce an abundance and variety of foods. County water and electricity will likely not be interrupted. COG
    Forget about non GMO seeds, get basics like tomatoes, beans and leafy greens. I won't comment on chaos, it will be everywhere...even here. IF it hits the fan.

Keep your head on the swivel...you'll be OK.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Heh.....one more update before I wander away to try and do some "pretend it's normal" things.

It has come to my attention that the British Columbia Chapter of The Girl Guides has been stuck with 800,000 boxes of their famous COOKIES and have no mean to distribute them.

Now.....if I was a multi-millionaire, certainly I could afford to transfer funds electronically, send over a team clad in hazmat suits, transfer the cookies to my fleet of trusty restored (disinfected) DC-3's, and conduct a province wide relief parachute drop. (Maybe with small parachutes made from usable toilet paper....?)

Sadly....I'm cannot even begin to approach this except in fantasy.

So what's to be done?

Maybe provide some pre-sterilized cash on the end of a forty foot pole, in hopes that they'd toss a dozen boxes out the window?

This is gotta be the tell tale sign of true social tragedy in the making.

Girl Guide cookies......so close....but so far away.

It's 21rst Century Shakespeare, ain't it?

You have to look at the light side.
    Among the current crop of restrictions here in Oz a couple are stand outs!
    It helps if one has a black sense of humor.

Weddings: No more than five individuals including the bride and groom, the celebrant and two witnesses.
    Funerals: No more than ten individuals including the celebrant. They haven't made mention of the Undertaker and Pall Bearers yet but I figure one Undertaker plus four Pall Bearers hypothetically would leave four places for
    family members provided the occupant of the casket is discounted.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

...provided the occupant of the casket is discounted.
    Well, it aint like the the occupant of the casket can catch, spread, or get any worse, from "THE Virus". If they sneeze in someone's face, perhaps their status needs to be re-assessed!

As to the weddings, well, they can add one to the grooms side. After all, HIS life is over once he says "I do..."

Have fun, all! After all, if you aint having fun, why bother?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0