Desperate Battles 2020 released!

Thread: Desperate Battles 2020 released!

Icon22 Desperate Battles 2020 released!

Here I go again... I just finished one campaign update and the next day I'm knee deep into another. With my office closed and little to do, I decided to start work immediately. I have finished re-vamping the first mission and the downloads readme. There is little or no scenery to download and install and the total numbers of downloads will be much less than my USS Essex CV-9 campaign.

From my README: "This is meant to be an historical campaign, based on the carrier battles of the Battle of the Eastern Solomons (22-25 August 1942) and the Battle of Santa Cruz. (25-27 October 1942) I named the campaign “Desperate Battles” because at this stage of the war the US Navy was fighting uphill. That is, they had fewer resources than the Japanese in many ways; inferior aircraft and less experienced pilots. In both battles, the Japanese are the attackers and the USN has to fight a defensive struggle.
    The dates, times and locations of each engagement (mission) are as close as possible to the actual ones. Ship names, types, locations and courses as well as aircraft numbers and types are as accurate as possible. Attack angles and targets are set up to give close to historical results, but you, the player can change history (slightly). The campaign consists of various missions; recon, strike, defensive and land based as well as carrier based. Random chance plays a big role in the numbers of defensive aircraft and in some cases, whether or not a target will be there at all. Callsigns and aircraft skins however are not historical."

I will be using a lot of the newer ships and when I can, planes for this version and clean up any errors I can find in the old missions. As there re less than 50 missions all total, It shouldn't take too long, but I intend to take my time and do her right!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Shadow Wolf,

UT did textures for the Enterprise that covers August 42 and October 42.They are for the OH Wildcat,Dauntless and Avenger.

I have Talon's CFS2 installs and one has textures for the FDG Wildcats and Dauntless for Hornet,Enterprise and Saratoga.

TheBookie

Quote Originally Posted by TheBookie View Post
    Shadow Wolf,

UT did textures for the Enterprise that covers August 42 and October 42.They are for the OH Wildcat,Dauntless and Avenger.

I have Talon's CFS2 installs and one has textures for the FDG Wildcats and Dauntless for Hornet,Enterprise and Saratoga.

TheBookie
    Hi TheBookie: I am using Stuart277's Sara, Hornet and Enterprise 1942 late versions with Alle's Wasp. For aircraft: Wolfi's Avenger, the Donationware FDG Dauntless and F4F-4s. I'm not planning to use or include any d/l skins, but rather, let the users choose which ones they want... I may however include the links for them as options. Thanks for your input though.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Attacking JMK_Ryujo: Just as I released my bomb, he set my wing on fire. I slipped away, bailed out and my chute didn't open Oh, well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esx_017b.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

SW how do you get those cool screen shots? The action is too fast for me or my fingers are not nimble enough!

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    SW how do you get those cool screen shots? The action is too fast for me or my fingers are not nimble enough!
    HP: First I hit the pause key, the F4 to get an external view and move the view around with my hat switch until i get the angle I want. The trick is hitting pause at the right time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esx_016a.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

SW
    Aha thanks

Finished my work on it and will start testing today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intercept_006.jpg  
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; March 22nd, 2020 at 10:13.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Mission 1 = Success
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB_053A.jpg   DB_052A.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I'll test fly a few more missions and upload in the morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB_055a.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Defendig Hornet = 26 October, 1942: waves of Vals, Kates and Zeros.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB_057A.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Desperate Battles 2020.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Campaigns Add-Ons

Description: This is meant to be an historical campaign, based on the carrier battles of the Battle of the Eastern Solomons (22-25 August 1942) and the Battle of Santa Cruz. (25-27 October 1942) I named the campaign “Desperate Battles” because at this stage of World War II in the Pacific the US Navy was still fighting uphill. That is, they had fewer resources than the Japanese in many ways; inferior aircraft and less experienced pilots. In both battles, the Japanese are the attackers and the USN has to fight an aggressive defensive struggle.

This is an updated version of an earlier campaign, uploaded in early 2017, with many newer ships, some newer aircraft and somewhat more challenging. The ship names, types and classes are as accurate as possible. You may find yourself flying a Wildcat, and SBD or an Avenger by random selection in many of the missions. Out of 32 possible mission combinations, you will fly 19. The missions themselves have many random situations that make the "fog of war" a reality. Using the alternate .dps provided for the ships and planes and Rami's FDG alternate files for US aircraft should make this campaign even more realistic and challenging.

The missions are set up to produce close to historical results but you, the pilot, have the opportunity to change history.

Cheers: Shadow Wolf 07

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Desperate Battles 2020.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    Well done Greg - thanks very much!

Kevin

This will certainly lure me back to the Pacific. Thanks Shadow Wolf!

Thank you very much Shadow, campaigns are very much appreciated.

Night recon patrol:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB_061A.jpg   DB_060A.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Thanks very much for this update SW, much appreciated.

Thank you Shadow Wolf. I find this period of the Pacific War to be the most interesting to study. So much risk and desperation on both sides when they were somewhat even in combat resources. Great job.

msfossey

For all of you, Thank you for your kind remarks and compliments. I plan to re-do my next campaign, USS Saratoga CV3 starting tomorrow. I deided to take a couple of days of and just fly and relax...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esx_027A.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Or you could just declare it's Happy Hour
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Members who have read this thread: 0