Straight Deck USS Midway?

Thread: Straight Deck USS Midway?

Straight Deck USS Midway?

I've found the angled deck version, wondering if there's a "straight deck" variant?

Thanks in advance,

TW
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon Willy View Post
    I've found the angled deck version, wondering if there's a "straight deck" variant?

Thanks in advance,

TW

Yes. I remembered the CVB-42 FDR, and when I put the word Roosevelt in the search box to make sure it was still in the library I stumbled onto a three-pack of all three ships of the Midway class. All of the old straight-deck configuration.

I'm not a CFS2 user, but found these ships because I've been turning CFS-2 carriers into FS9 scenery so I can fly from them in that sim, and one of my favorite eras in the late forties - early fifties classic era.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for your reply, I'll go have a look.

TW

TW........

..I looked but can't find the package that Mick references, but I did find that the Virtual Navy did some renditions of these ships. The FDR is here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=20&nameid=TUV
    the others are further down the list. Hope this helps.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    There is a Midway-class aircraft carrier 1950s.zip made by Klaus "klnowak" Nowak in the FSX download section.

It includes all three straight-decked versions of the Midway class carriers.

There is also a
    VN USS FDR.zip by Captain Kurt from 2017 which is a straight decked, CFS2 version of the Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVB/CVA/CV-42)

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Hi mr!.....

...I also did find those FSX ships but since they are FSX and static I figured that was not what TW was looking for. The link that I posted is for the same one by CK that you referenced. The FDR is the same class as the Midway but is stated that it was built slightly larger.
    Since these were essentially post-war ships, as they were completed and commissioned at the end of WW2, I assume there wasn't much interest in doing them for the sim Maybe the Vietnam theater guys would push for the ships as they were active that period.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies!

Fibber,

The reason I was looking for a post WWII version of the Midway is that I was kicking around the idea of making (or attempting to) some "what if" Korean War missions with AlphSim's F8F Bearcat. Perhaps the FDR may be a suitable fill in.

Kind regards,

TW

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon Willy View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies!

Fibber,

The reason I was looking for a post WWII version of the Midway is that I was kicking around the idea of making (or attempting to) some "what if" Korean War missions with AlphSim's F8F Bearcat. Perhaps the FDR may be a suitable fill in.

Kind regards,

TW
    I suppose you could change the hull number on the textures. That should be easy enough.

I was so pleased to find the all-three package that I failed to notice that it's for FSX. I don't suppose that will do either of us any good. But the Roosevelt is definitely a CFS-2 ship so it should work for both of us.

Lightbulb TW...............

... .you may already know this and have seen the ship in the VN Navy section, but the Coral Sea was also in the Midway class. So that only left the Midway undone that we know of.

Well, I got curious and looked at he texture files in the FDR. I expected to see the hull number in big numerals on the island and was wondering how easy it would be to change the 2 to a 1 or a 3. There's no sign of a hull number on the island or the hull or anywhere. So the ship can be whichever of the three Midways we want it to be without even the bother of changing that number. Or if we really want to we could always add it.

If you want.....

... to bE purists

maybe the Coral Sea could be subbed for the Midway or ,and I have NO idea if this could be done , since the FDR is the same only bigger, it could be resized to the Midway Maru size.

According to Admiral Google and his exec Capt. Wikipedia, both the FDR and the Coral Sea had a length of 968 feet, while the Midway's length was 1001 feet. Curious, since the three were of a single design and built in sequence.

I wonder if the angled deck and the hurricane bow added the extra 33 feet to the Midways - they all had the mods. Maybe Wiki lists the original length for the FDR and Coral Sea, and the modified length for the Midway?

Maybe the Midway length is just wrong?

I could see how the hurricane bow would have added a few feet to the bow, and how the angled ramp might have added a few feet to the stern. But 33 feet? That seems like a lot, over sixteen feet at each end of the ship.

I don't know the answer, but I doubt that FDR was 33 feet shorter than the other two as built or after modernization.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    According to Admiral Google and his exec Capt. Wikipedia, both the FDR and the Coral Sea had a length of 968 feet, while the Midway's length was 1001 feet. Curious, since the three were of a single design and built in sequence.

I wonder if the angled deck and the hurricane bow added the extra 33 feet to the Midways - they all had the mods. Maybe Wiki lists the original length for the FDR and Coral Sea, and the modified length for the Midway?

Maybe the Midway length is just wrong?

I could see how the hurricane bow would have added a few feet to the bow, and how the angled ramp might have added a few feet to the stern. But 33 feet? That seems like a lot, over sixteen feet at each end of the ship.

I don't know the answer, but I doubt that FDR was 33 feet shorter than the other two as built or after modernization.
    MIDWAY was heavily modified in comparison to her two sisters. She lasted longer in fleet service; in fact her hull was "blistered" in the 80's to compensate for additional weight and continuous upgrades. her Flight Deck layout, in the end, was different then her two siblings. The data is likely taken from different periods of time in each ship's life.

One has to ask what source and at what time the data refers to. Also, overall length, deck length, hull length. I am always suspicious of such quoted dimensions unless they come from NAVSEA data.

Sources I keep from my Pentagon days shows all three as designed had a max hull length of 968 ft, a Flight Deck of 924x113 ft as built.

MIDWAY was a unique ship, being the first Carrier to be permanently home-ported in a foreign nation - Yokosuka, Japan. As the foreign deployed Carrier MIDWAY received constant, priority maintenance and modernization at the Naval facility there; eventually replaced by CV-62 -- INDEPENDENCE.

Yeah, you have to be really careful with whatever specs you find on any of the ships as they all went through multiple modifications, so it'll depend on what mod is being referenced. The FDR was the first to have SCB-110, which gave it the angled deck and 3 steam catapults and added an elevator and a "hurricane bow", then SCB 101.68 added two more elevators and removed the deck elevator and replaced the 3 steam catapults with 2 newer steam catapults. But it was less of a renovation than the Midway got because the Midway experienced such large cost overruns and construction overruns (1966), so it was given an "austere" renovation (1968).
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; May 1st, 2020 at 15:30.

My two cents...

...I had never served on the bird farm Midway Maru, but did find some material that stated that even though the ships were original designed the same way in LOA, some modifications were made to the later ships to accommodate some minor berthing problems and other items, that were discovered during building. Most of these were internal and did result in a slight increase in LOA to accommodate these changes, but it was minor.
    The larger change came about because, as noted the addition of the angle deck and a hurricane bow. Also, during the update the stern, it was indicated, was slightly extended. Some of these really caused some handling and seaworthy problem and resulted in the blisters and other doo-dads being tried.
    Have to see if I can relocate that paper. Going to be hard as it was on a puter that crashed and am now relegated to a Ipad till I can get a new puter.
    So, as has been written, you do really have to be mindful of what dates the writer is referencing while writing their piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    >>> The larger change came about because, as noted the addition of the angle deck and a hurricane bow. Also, during the update the stern, it was indicated, was slightly extended. Some of these really caused some handling and seaworthy problem and resulted in the blisters and other doo-dads being tried. >>>>.
    The blistering in the 80's (technically known as "hull expansion") was done primarily to extend the service life of her as the forward deployed carrier in the far east. Life extension required a lot of modernization and displacement increase, therefore the need for blistering. Unfortunately the expansion was a poor design, resulting a tough to handle ship in certain sea states. It caused an absolute uproar in internal Navy circles, and some heads rolled because of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0