LM/CS KC-130J Conversion + Mods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LM/CS KC-130J Conversion + Mods

LM/CS KC-130J Conversion + Mods

Hi all. I was perusing the threads here. I had done a personal conversion a ways back of a KC-130J, but I kept it to myself as I didn't know how to navigate possibly releasing the .mdl file. I see others have already started doing this, so it spurred me to work on the KC-130J a bit more. I see there was already one other one out someone had done. I however, took my version and have gone a bit further in incorporating things from LM/CS, but also my own mods. Such as something the Super Herc does not have, and that's accurate night lighting. Which I've added to the model. This being the formation (slime) lights, as well as the IR/NVG illuminated propeller tips, similar to what's on the MV-22Bs. I have also reassigned the drogues to work with the tailhook function instead of the CS custom animation to allow people to put whatever cockpit they'd want on this version and still retain the ability to use the drogues. As we all know the "J" models lack any real accurate cockpit. Hopefully someone gets to fixing that. Personally, I have an affinity to the KC-130s having seen VMGR-352's KC-130s fly out of MCAS El Toro and then MCAS Miramar, they've always been my favorite Herc squadron having grown up going to airshows at their respective bases. I've also done custom repaints to more accurately represent the KC-130Js out of Miramar. I created a CAG and Line textures. My next few questions are, is there enough interest for me to go through trying to upload them and then if so, are there suggestions as to how to go about that? As in just posting the needed .mdl files, my textures, and aircraft.cfg mod? Full credit of the aircraft obviously goes to LM/CS. Pics below!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KC-130Ja.jpg   KC-130J night.jpg   refule.jpg  

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Thought I'd post a little bit better image of the slime lights and the IR/NVG prop tip illumination.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails props.jpg  

That looks cool - will give them a try.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Scorch, you have done a impressive amount of work into this model! I am most interested!

Wowsers! NC

Thank you all!

I'm cleaning up files for it right now. It will just be the .mdl, aircraft.cfg, and the textures. I want to avoid it being a distribution problem. The model is also ONLY for P3DV4 as a result. Since it is really a modification of a stock airplane in the Sim. It wont work in earlier versions of P3D or FSX as a result of me doing this mod to the model. You'll just need parts from your stock P3D C-130Js to complete the "mod" like the C130J air file, panel, and sounds. If I can get around to it tonight, I may at least get the mod up on here first. Then Simviation.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails herc1.jpg  
    Last edited by Scorch00; March 14th, 2020 at 11:45.

Bravo for sure and thank you for allowing other Herc fans access to the updated models. Anytime I hear a "Raider" call-sign over the radios I know who's calling, even had "Sumo" yesterday around the Phoenix area. The IR/NVG lights would also look great on the AFSOC H/M-130Js. The CS/LM C-130 series is on the short list of models I have had in all 3 sims (FS9/FSX/P3D). The J "soft panel" tease in v4.5 would be nice if it worked, but I would settle for a H2+ EFIS VC upgrade.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Bravo for sure and thank you for allowing other Herc fans access to the updated models. Anytime I hear a "Raider" call-sign over the radios I know who's calling, even had "Sumo" yesterday around the Phoenix area. The IR/NVG lights would also look great on the AFSOC H/M-130Js. The CS/LM C-130 series is on the short list of models I have had in all 3 sims (FS9/FSX/P3D). The J "soft panel" tease in v4.5 would be nice if it worked, but I would settle for a H2+ EFIS VC upgrade.
    You're very welcome. I was thinking about looking at the other J models as well. I agree though, the soft panel tease is rather sad to me. In this one I left the EICAS panel attached to it. But the way I redid the model's assignments you could put whatever panel you want in it and you'd still be able to deploy the drogues. Which is what I wanted. The same here, there's a very small list of aircraft I've had on my machines back to FS9, but this is definitely one of them as well.

I'm getting ready to upload this one as I type this. Should be up on here soon. Will post a link.

Link is here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=26458

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SuperHerc.jpg  
    Last edited by Scorch00; March 14th, 2020 at 17:52. Reason: Link Added

Very cool! Thanks Scorch. Downloaded, and I will be running around in it this week.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    Very cool! Thanks Scorch. Downloaded, and I will be running around in it this week.

Cheers,
    Absolutely! Hope everyone enjoys it, I've been flying it around a lot the last couple days personally.

Also, I had a request for brighter prop tips at night. I made them subtle to not be overpowered in the sim originally. But in some cases it may be too light or hard to see in general. In any case if you like the ones that I did originally, no worries. But I did make a brighter option below. I'll leave it active for a while and then take it down. You can backup the original ones in the repaints I provided or just drop this in and override the night prop textures.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K9...rUGgGj5lRseBfJ

Scorch,

Thank you for the brighter texture. Speaking for myself, it's perfect! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Scorch,

Thank you for the brighter texture. Speaking for myself, it's perfect! NC

You're welcome!

Also, as an added feature. I thought I'd venture into another version. I figured I wouldn't leave the Air Force guys out. The USAF's MC-130J really differs very little from the USMC KC-130J in terms of external appearances go. So I've dove into that model as well. I've designed a very simple FLIR pod for the nose and that's really it for the MC-130J. Well and obviously a livery to go with this version. But this is what progress I've made on it tonight.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mc-130J.jpg   mc130.jpg  

Very nice work!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Very nice work!
    Thank you!

Messed around with some visuals last night and this afternoon. I also darkened up the textures, as I thought the original map was too light a gray for the MC-130. It looks a bit more menacing now in this darker gray, plus some more details. It has more subtle details in the livery I'm trying to replicate as this one is done entirely from scratch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mc.jpg  

Agree on the dark "spooky" paint on the AFSOC Hercs, and I see you added the UARRSI markings. Something I have not done in all my years with the CS C-130 series, air refuel!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Very nice! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    Thank you!

Messed around with some visuals last night and this afternoon. I also darkened up the textures, as I thought the original map was too light a gray for the MC-130. It looks a bit more menacing now in this darker gray, plus some more details. It has more subtle details in the livery I'm trying to replicate as this one is done entirely from scratch.

I think I've finally got the color where it needs to be. Most of the markings are applied now as well. First gray was too light, second one too dark, this one I think is where it needs to be. But who knows. The longer I look at it I might redo it again lol (hopefully not).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mc1.jpg  

very nice!!
    thank you for your work on this great bird.

Quote Originally Posted by dummy_74 View Post
    very nice!!
    thank you for your work on this great bird.
    Thank you for the support, and you"re welcome!

A little admin post on my part. I have received at least one (so far) texture issue complaint. But after checking the files I've uploaded it seems to just be an isolated issue. But this one issue sounds like it's rather common with the C-130s in my experience. Where a texture file is out of place on the model despite the textures being correct. This in my experience is related to a difference in the texture.cfg fallback textures between systems that can exist. Where the stock liveries appear properly, but 3rd party ones do not. This is likely that issue. So, to solve this you have to take a texture.cfg file from one of your stock P3D C-130s installed with P3D and override the ones in the repaint folders and in theory, should solve that issue. It's worked in my experience in also replicating the issue myself.

I have found a texture issue that I'm working on fixing however, the texture.cfg issue was found to not fix this issue. It was an error on my part in the texture layers. I'll be uploading a texture fix. This error presents as a incorrectly textured inboard external fuel tank. The error is on both repaints.
    Last edited by Scorch00; March 18th, 2020 at 18:49.

Lovely stuff. Is there any chance of an Italian Air Force livery for it please?

Regards
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by DaleRFU View Post
    Lovely stuff. Is there any chance of an Italian Air Force livery for it please?

Regards
    Dale
    I can look into it. I have a couple other model variations I'm working on at the moment.

Thank you for the feedback in regards to the issues of the original. I have uploaded a V1.1 update for the KC-130J. This is a texture as well as model update. I've changed the external fuel tank visibility conditions as they have a tendency to no longer appear in replays or recordings for certain software. So I've "permanently" attached them to the model so they no
    longer do their disappearing act. I've included readme's for new installations and one for those that just want to update the model and textures and not do the whole piecing together thing again. Update link below!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=26476

Also, in terms of the MC-130J, the model modifications are done. I'm just cleaning up a few things on it. I will be posting a visual update here later today I imagine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.1.jpg  

In other news. I've coded an IR camera into the MC-130J using P3D's built in sensor cameras. This will lock and track as it does on the stock drones in the sim.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flir.jpg  

Another "bad ass" looking darker paint - one done by "Nathan" years ago depicting fictional)?) USN Seals unit. Really like the work you have done on this - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Another "bad ass" looking darker paint - one done by "Nathan" years ago depicting fictional)?) USN Seals unit. Really like the work you have done on this - thanks!

Awesome! Thank you for the support! I have one more version of the J model I'm working on. I'll be making another thread for here soon for that.

MC-130J Progress has gone well. FLIR pod position has been finished as have most of the textures. I'll be giving it a good once over to make sure I didn't miss anything after what I learned on the KC-130J. I made this version to simply be dropped into the KC-130J's folder as another variation of the KC-130J.. I figured since there was little difference between the two models it was just easier. The MC-130J really only differs with the FLIR pod under the nose. So I've opted to do this to make it easier on people. There will be just the model and texture files in this when I'm done. As well as the readme for the aircraft.cfg entries for this version and for the FLIR addition.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails commandoII.jpg  

MC-130J Commando II Uploaded

As of this afternoon, the "ScorchMod" MC-130J has been completed and uploaded to SOH! My focus will now shift over to the AC-130J Ghostrider. Updates to come in that thread.

Link:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=26485

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MC-130J.jpg  

I just installed this and everything is working just fine. But on both of the VMGR-352 paints you can see the tail number from one of the original C-130 paints. (look where the "QB" is)

Also is the
    illuminated propeller tips a real thing on a C-130? I don't think I ever seen that before.

Members who have read this thread: 2