RFN F-8 Crusader is Out!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RFN F-8 Crusader is Out!!

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    This is big and somewhat unexpected news! I had long worried the project might have died (as many often do). Sylvain, I know this has been a long road to get this model out and I know some of us kept inquiring fairly frequently (maybe even nagging asking how close it was to being done), but to you and all involved, a huge Thank You and Congratulations is in order! Now I am going to get the Crusader installed and take my long awaited first test flight!
    +1000, I just came off a work trip to find the SOH forums going crazy over this Gunfighter. Funny, I must of had the itch 2 weeks ago messing around with A-7D/E TP beta in P3D. D/L now and hope to get the SWS carriers working. My post-WWII carrier deck is getting full!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Fantastic aircraft! Flies great. I'm still rusty on the jets, but this one is a great flyer.

JanKee's VF-33-210 paint, at
    MCAS
    Miramar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot2087.jpg   screenshot2088.jpg   screenshot2092.jpg   screenshot2095.jpg  
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

RFN F-8 and SWS Carriers

D/L now and hope to get the SWS carriers working.
    I could not get the aircraft to engage the cat on the SWS Coral Sea. This may be because the cat and launch function is embedded in the model or other coding and why you see the normal air.cfg settings hashed out. I tried adding the plane to the SWS configurator app thing but cat launch still a no go. The aircraft launches and traps perfectly for me on other carriers.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I could not get the aircraft to engage the cat on the SWS Coral Sea. This may be because the cat and launch function is embedded in the model or other coding and why you see the normal air.cfg settings hashed out. I tried adding the plane to the SWS configurator app thing but cat launch still a no go. The aircraft launches and traps perfectly for me on other carriers.
    Hi,
    Be sure that you have done the 2 following points:
    - Is your Crusader well positionned regarding the carrier's shuttle? In the screenshot below you can see how it should be placed.
    - Do you have (virtualy) extended the (invisible) launch bar by Shift+U? If the (virtual) launch bar is ready, you'll see a small red dot which will help you to well-position the jet.

Regards,
    S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-3-11_23-15-23-783.jpg  

Sylvain,

Appreciate your helpful and quick responses. The answer is yes, definitely see the red dot - a most useful feature! There is no issue at all with cat launches on the other carriers - it all works as it should. Been even getting good traps with crash detection on for added satisfaction and self congratulation! Think the issue is specific to the SWS Coral Sea and probably also their Midway, as they have their own cat/trap coding and system as I recall - maybe the commented out launch/cat settings in the air.cfg is an issue? Haven't tried an arrested landing on the Coral Sea yet but will test that as well as more perfect alignment with the cat shuttle and red dot. Anyone else with these carriers been able to do a cat launch?

My thanks,

expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Just tested further - can trap every time on the Oriskany but unable to hook a wire on the SWS Coral Sea. I think SWS might be able to address this one.

anybody interested in another Marines paint, of the CO of VMF-323?
    jk5562

jk5565

jk5568
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    JK - for models where both USN and USMC variants exist, my preference is always for the USMC paints. Has to do with a special appreciation for the Corps which I developed on an exchange tour with them years ago. So yes, please, any VMF- units are very welcome. Boring as it sounds, I prefer the line paints, or mild ones like the -323 scheme below is massively appreciated. If you're able to do a plain line version without the nose trim, that'd be outstanding.

One thing I've noticed (and I mentioned this to Sylvain a while back) is that it would be ideal if the helmets could be repainted to match the squadron. The Crusader period was a colourful period, and the helmets are a big part of conveying that. All the repaints of American birds I've seen still have the checkered VF-211 helmets. Just a small detail that would be ideal to address if possible.

So thanks again - really looking forward to these.

Kind regards,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    One thing I've noticed (and I mentioned this to Sylvain a while back) is that it would be ideal if the helmets could be repainted to match the squadron. The Crusader period was a colourful period, and the helmets are a big part of conveying that. All the repaints of American birds I've seen still have the checkered VF-211 helmets. Just a small detail that would be ideal to address if possible.

So thanks again - really looking forward to these.

Kind regards,

dl
    The helmets can already be painted to the specific unit. For repainters reading, the visor cover (at lower right) and helmet sides (along top edge) are found on the Cockpit_T.psd file.

Picked up this pair of mud pounders feet wet on their way in for a run above Haiphong - providing them with some CAP cover.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    The helmets can already be painted to the specific unit. For repainters reading, the visor cover (at lower right) and helmet sides (along top edge) are found on the Cockpit_T.psd file.
    If somebody tells me what the helmets looked like I could give it a try..

and delta-lima, what do you mean with a plain line version?

like this?
    jk5694

jk5697
    Last edited by jankees; March 21st, 2020 at 10:12.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Jan - stars & bars missing on the forward fuselage?

ouch!
    I thought it looked nice and clean, but a bit too much apparently..
    I just uploaded a new version.

and something else
    jk5713

jk5715

jk5727
    Last edited by jankees; March 22nd, 2020 at 12:37.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Any takers to do this version..? It was the first model kit I ever attempted to paint (After glueing together a lot of 1/144 kits), and although the kit is long gone (Since I was crap at painting back then..) this livery always stuck with me.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Going off-topic here:

Jankees, would it be possible for you to create a fictional Royal Netherlands Navy paint for Dino's A-4E Skyhawk? It would fit in perfectly with the Crusader

Cheers,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    ouch!
    I thought it looked nice and clean, but a bit too much apparently..
    I just uploaded a new version.

and something else
    jk5713

jk5715

jk5727

Question Nosewheel steering problem

Hi all

I didnīt find any help for this in the manual. After taxiing without problem, takeoff and landing, the front wheel is blocked and I canīt steer anymore. The rudder pedals still move, also the rudder. If I reload the plane, everything is fine again. Is there a nosewheel block for takeoff and landing?

Regards

Dan

P.S. Great aircraft, thanks

Using P3D4.5 HF2

Hi Dan
    There is not a nosewheel block. So can you do this little test:
    Make a take off with 3000 pounds fuel, maintain gear down and wing up, go downwind leg and land.
    Stop the aircraft on the runway.
    Then begin taxiing. Have you the issue?

If you have the issue, change with an another aircraft (Dino's T45, F14, ...) and do the same flight.

Regards
    Michel

Quote Originally Posted by mpni View Post
    Hi Dan
    There is not a nosewheel block. So can you do this little test:
    Make a take off with 3000 pounds fuel, maintain gear down and wing up, go downwind leg and land.
    Stop the aircraft on the runway.
    Then begin taxiing. Have you the issue?

If you have the issue, change with an another aircraft (Dino's T45, F14, ...) and do the same flight.

Regards
    Michel

Hi Michel

Thanks for your quick response. I donīt have the issue, when leaving the gear down. I did another run with the gear up and had no steering after landing. Tried the same with DCD F-18E with no problems. I will test tomorrow after a new simulator start (takes long with all my addons). Maybe the issue is because I had some other planes loaded before. I have to test starting the default flight and see if it is still there. I had this before I think some time ago. But the planes I loaded where not PMDG like, only the Carenado Phenom 300.

Regards

Dan

Work in progress

A work in progress.
    Special thanks to Mister JanKees Bloom for his precious help concerning the "Spec" textures.
    A F8J from VF24 on board the USS Hancock in early January 1972 during the Vietnam War.
    Still a few touch-ups to have a repaint similar to the original.
    Richard

Very nice repaint of the VF-24 bird! I was aboard Hancock 1971 Westpac cruise with VAQ-129 Det 19. Unfortunately, one F-8 from either VF-211 or VF-24 smacked the round-down while doing a night landing and wiped out the landing system lights. We had to park at Pearl for week for repairs then push on to Nam!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Very nice repaint of the VF-24 bird! I was aboard Hancock 1971 Westpac cruise with VAQ-129 Det 19. Unfortunately, one F-8 from either VF-211 or VF-24 smacked the round-down while doing a night landing and wiped out the landing system lights. We had to park at Pearl for week for repairs then push on to Nam!
    Ouch, this is a serious incident.
    Thank you MrZippy, I'm happy that you like it.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLouis View Post
    Ouch, this is a serious incident.
    Thank you MrZippy, I'm happy that you like it.
    Richard
    Just happened to find the one snapshot of the damage to Hancock's landing system.

An F-8J Crusader from VF-24 struck the flight deck ramp of USS Hancock (CVA-19) and exploded during night carrier qualifications, killing LT. Darrell N. Eggert. 1 September 1970.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	74928
    Last edited by MrZippy; March 27th, 2020 at 09:24.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    If somebody tells me what the helmets looked like I could give it a try..

and delta-lima, what do you mean with a plain line version?

like this?

Hi Jankees,

My apologies - I remembered your question, but I think I answered the question in the FSX sister RFN F-8 thread, instead of here. I'm sorry if it seemed I didn't respond - so sorry.

The plain line versions are the non-CO, non-CAG "regular" paints. VMF-232 is delightful - just what I was hoping for.

Many thanks again.

dl

VF24 - Tonkin Gulf - 1972

Texture is finished. Upload soon.
    Richard

Side note, VF-24 transitioned from F-8s to F-14s, skipping the Phantom along with -211.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 3