RFN F-8 Crusader is out!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: RFN F-8 Crusader is out!!

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    sorry, complete atheist here
    Okay...fair enough....you're a Maestro!

K

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I also changed the [Autopilot] section in the aircraft.cfg. Set up after takeoff!

[autopilot]
    autopilot_available=1
    flight_director_available=1
    default_vertical_speed=1800.0
    autothrottle_available=0
    autothrottle_arming_required= 0
    autothrottle_max_rpm = 99.9
    autothrottle_takeoff_ga= 0
    pitch_takeoff_ga=8 ;
    max_pitch=20.0
    max_pitch_acceleration=3.0
    max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=4.0 //2.0
    max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt=3.0 //1.5
    max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint=20000.0
    max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint=28000.0
    max_bank=30
    max_bank_acceleration=2.7 //1.8
    max_bank_velocity=4.0 //3.00
    max_throttle_rate=0.20 //0.10
    nav_proportional_control=11.00
    nav_integrator_control=0.20
    nav_derivative_control=0.00
    nav_integrator_boundary=2.50
    nav_derivative_boundary=0.00
    gs_proportional_control=9.52
    gs_integrator_control=0.26
    gs_derivative_control=0.00
    gs_integrator_boundary=0.70
    gs_derivative_boundary=0.00
    yaw_damper_gain = 1.0
    direction_indicator=1
    attitude_indicator=1
    Hi Charlie,

Just downloaded this beauty a few seconds ago.

Checked the AP section of config file and looks different to yours on my original download. Did you swap it out entirely ?

Also, are you getting the default afterburner effect ? or is there a need for a modification ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

I finally got the AP to work but not the radar. I know where the fire control and radar panels are located but the power and other knobs will not function. Am I missing something? A gauge perhaps........Need a Marine paint!
    I also had issues getting the FC radar to appear. What I think worked is clicking on the round black knob to "standby" and leave it for a bit while it warms up and then it can be turned on.

What did you do to get the AP to work? I am going crazy to figure out why it just won't engage, which is disappointing. If I could just get it to hold an altitude that would do a lot, but even using the manual keys, e.g. "z" for AP master and then Ctrl + Z for Alt Hold it refuses to engage. I wonder if there is a setting in the gauge.cab I could alter to find some solution?

Jankees has more great paints coming - like his choices!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Hi Charlie,

Just downloaded this beauty a few seconds ago.

Checked the AP section of config file and looks different to yours on my original download. Did you swap it out entirely ?

Also, are you getting the default afterburner effect ? or is there a need for a modification ?
    I swapped out the entire [Autopilot] for the hell of it and the AB works fine without any fooling around! I'm kinda lazy, that's why I like a popup
    A/P to use during the flight. The original one works fine except that you have to do some extra stuff when changing heading or altitudes.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

@expat...my procedure for popup A/P gauge use:

Before takeoff, I position the popup gauge where I want it, then remove it. I do not enter any numbers into it yet. Just after takeoff, I pause the Sim. On the left console I turn on Master A/P switch and click on the cover over the heading Hold switch and make sure it's on. I then go over to the right console and flip on the Altitude Hold switch. Switches won't flip in Pause Mode, so you have to Un-pause quickly and then re-pause. I now popup the gauge and enter all appropriate data into the gauge. Now un-pause the Sim and click A/P on, Heading Hold on, and Altitude Hold on clicking on the gauge buttons.

Now you should be good to go for the rest of the flight. Kind of a PITA, but doing it a few times is well worth having the popup A/P Gauge.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Ok those are some unusual procedures but will give them a try and report back
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I also had issues getting the FC radar to appear. What I think worked is clicking on the round black knob to "standby" and leave it for a bit while it warms up and then it can be turned on.

What did you do to get the AP to work? I am going crazy to figure out why it just won't engage, which is disappointing. If I could just get it to hold an altitude that would do a lot, but even using the manual keys, e.g. "z" for AP master and then Ctrl + Z for Alt Hold it refuses to engage. I wonder if there is a setting in the gauge.cab I could alter to find some solution?

Jankees has more great paints coming - like his choices!
    I finally replaced the AP after it was so much trouble messing with it. I put a product called wefly combo GPS and AP. I can't get any of the knobs on the fire control radar or the other radar to function. Tried left and right clicking and scrolling with no effect.

shark teeth n°35
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot - 15_03_2020 , 08_18_32.jpg   Screenshot - 15_03_2020 , 08_19_25.jpg  

Hi,
    I'm really worry to see some of you struggling with the AP features trying to use extra gauges or overwrite config parameters as I really don't see how it can work as long as you still try to use FS AP functions.
    I explain my point: the Crusader's gauges includes code that hook FS's AP Event in order to reproduce the way AP was designed into the real life Crusader. When the extra AP gauge calls FS AP function, the F-8's gauge is called too and applies the same controls as it does when you use VC's switch. To my own point of view it is quite hopeless as long as we don't understand what is not ok in your situation.
    Assuming the installation is OK (everything works fine I guess no weired flag around?) here are the main steps to use AP in the RFN Crusader:

1- Set the AP Master switch On (labelled as "Normal", #1) : now AP is armed
    2- Check that the "Engaged" light is still out (#2), it will lite only when AP is activated (armed is not activated)
    3- CHeck that Altitude AP switch don't keep in "On" position: it can't as long as AP is not activated
    4- Pull your brake trigger or strike "Z" key is you prefer and if it maps with FS event :"Toggle AP master"
    5- Then Check "Engaged" light lite (#2) : now tha AP is on with by default "Hold Heading" activated, switch under the cover (#3 & #4)!
    6- You can use "Bank control" (#5) or activate "Altitude Hold" ( #6)

To disengage AP, you can strike again "Z" key or trigger brakes. AP master switch will stay in "On" position (still armed) but "Altitude Hold" will switch back to Off.
    Note that everything above works only if the plane is not on the ground and if Parking Brakes are not set...

Regards,
    Sylvain

PS : well done nastybeast! I really love the nice liveries painted by guys around here since the release
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Autopilot.jpg  

I'm really worry to see some of you struggling with the AP features trying to use extra gauges or overwrite config parameters as I really don't see how it can work as long as you still try to use FS AP functions.
    Sylvain, very grateful you are working with some of us on a solution. I have followed your very clear instructions 100% correctly but the problem unfortunatley remains. I also remapped the Z key to AP master toggle.

I have just switched to another aircraft and the AP works normally. However, here is something I also found. When I press "Z" on other planes, this toggles the AP on and then when you press a second time you hear the "AP Off" warning tone. So if you press Z repeatedly, you should hear the "Off" warning tone every other time, not every time you press Z. In the RFN F-8 when I press the Z key, I hear the AP Off tone each time I press the Z key. I tried using MrZippy's method - which also did not work - and found when FS is paused, when I clicked the AP Master switch on the left console, you don't see the switch move because you are in pause, but if you hover the pointer over it the ToolTip says "on" however the AP engaged light does not come on. When I click the Alt Hold switch on the right side the tooltip pointer always says "off."

What this tells me is something in the dll coding is causing the Z command to always switch the AP to off, never to on, so it won't toggle each way both on and off. Hope that is clear!

Sorry if I wasn't clear on my explanation! To flick the switches, I quickly UNPAUSE the Sim, flick the switch, then PAUSE the Sim again until I do the next task.

In all, it takes about 15-20 seconds to get it set up and continue on my way! Screenshots after everything is set!

Left console
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left console.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	74574

Right console

Name:	right console.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	74575

Autopilot gauge

Name:	Autopilot.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	74576

Right. I am in P3D 4.5 to remind people. I have never had either of the two yellow lights lit despite doing two installs. The AP matster switch on the left console flips to "on" but no light comes on. The alt hold switch on the right console does moves but quickly flicks back to off - it never stays on and the engaged light is always unlit.

Right. I am in P3D 4.5 to remind people. I have never had either of the two yellow lights lit despite doing two installs. The AP matster switch on the left console flips to "on" but no light comes on. The alt hold switch on the right console does moves but quickly flicks back to off - it never stays on and the engaged light is always unlit.
    OK, I was thinking you were using the lower version of P3D and the same aircraft as I do in FSX. Maybe some anomaly in the P3D only version with the Crusader.dll?

It does get a little confusing when P3D users post in the FSX forum.

Yes - agreed - but with so many a/c coming out in multiple formats the critical mass of troubleshooting discussions are often here in the FSX forum. But will post in P3Dv4 to see if others in that format see this issue.

nastybeats: where can these brilliant repaints of yours be found please?

Cheers,

Priller

I am using P3Dv4.5, and I just finished installing, and trying out this fantastic aircraft from RFN. On my setup, it works fantastic. The AP operates exactly like Sylvain explains.

This is a new install, following the instructions. I have the gauges and effects folders in the P3Dv4 folder, but my simobjects folder is on a separate drive, using junction link.

I am going to ask, because I don't see where you've answered--- Are you trying to get the AP to turn on/operate when on the ground, or in the air, with gear up? As Sylvain says, it does NOT turn on, nor operate/show any action when the gear is lowered. The switches do operate as you mention, when on the ground or even when flying, if the gear is lowered. Once the gear is raised, mine operated as explained.

DonH
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Thanks Don

Been in trying it with gear up in cruise and can't get it to work.

. . . and it is as if my aircraft doesn't think the gear are in the up position . .

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by xpelekis View Post
    "Shift + T" or "Shift + U" ? First impressions, great plane ! Thank you RFN.
    Great Fighter for some Mig-17 dogfights over Vietnam...
    I have flown and worked my ass over the weekend, with this bird and I'm still learning to fight with her...
    She just refuses to turn hard. No way I can outurn the AI Migs, even at high speeds (450+, is the only chance
    for an opportunity gunshot). With difficulty I can make her exceed 5 Gs.

Anyway, she's really challenging to fight with and also land on carrier. Ie, I like her.

My Military Flight Videos :

Got it working !!!

Sort of. Have engaged it and disengaged it about four times in a test flight. Once the engaged light was lit, the whole AP unit functioned correctly. The reason I am still only getting it activated intermittently seems to be with pressing the brake "." key. It's almost like having a loose wire or connection. I need to play around either holding or quick double tapping the "." key until it decides to activate. This is a very positive development!

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    nastybeats: where can these brilliant repaints of yours be found please?

Cheers,

Priller
    they'll need to be finished first, I'll probably give them to sylvain first. Otherwise on Mirage4fs is where to find most of my french textures.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    the next ones, just uploaded:
    jk5433

jk5437

jk5443

jk5450
    Hey Jan, did you do anything different to these two VS the VF-51 and 53 repaints? Those two are fuzzy like the included USN livery, but these two here look great on my machine.. (The RFN skins they included are crisp as well.)

shadowing work coming to and end...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-3-16_11-32-19-162.jpg   2020-3-16_10-53-20-597.jpg   2020-3-16_11-32-0-392.jpg   2020-3-16_11-31-45-504.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 3