RFN F-8 Crusader is out!! - Page 14
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: RFN F-8 Crusader is out!!

Hi,
    This "shadow artefact" is present since V1.0, it appears only in FSX... I call it "shadow" but it doesn't change with the light : it switch on and off according light position but its shape never change... I really don't know what cause this issue.
    I found nothing so far in the model that can explain that and I never saw such thing... I suspect somethink link to a volume shadow leak but no clear evidence so far...
    Regards,
    Sylvain

Quote Originally Posted by sparouty View Post
    Hi,
    This "shadow artefact" is present since V1.0, it appears only in FSX... I call it "shadow" but it doesn't change with the light : it switch on and off according light position but its shape never change... I really don't know what cause this issue.
    I found nothing so far in the model that can explain that and I never saw such thing... I suspect somethink link to a volume shadow leak but no clear evidence so far...
    Regards,
    Sylvain
    Sylvain,

It also appears in P3D V3.4 - it too runs on 32 bit mode like FSX.

As for the shadow item, I looked at the Alphasim F-8 version and it doesn't have that shadow or dark spot on the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Sylvain,

It also appears in P3D V3.4 - it too runs on 32 bit mode like FSX.

As for the shadow item, I looked at the Alphasim F-8 version and it doesn't have that shadow or dark spot on the left side.
    Hi,
    You're right, but I was refering to P3D V4 where the issue does not occurs. No doubt for me it is not a "nice" shadow generated by some geometric volume specific to the F-8, but it is a bug of the graphic engine caused by my model (mesh and/or material?). At this point I don't have any lead, so no fix is planned. May be I'll read one of these days, on a developper forum, other FS modeler's feedback on such similar issue which help me to find a solution?
    Regards,
    Sylvain

Sylvain, thanks for taking a look and for the info. It’s definitely not a deal breaker for this terrific model.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Sylvain,
    Here is a screen shot in P3D V5. I put it in slew mode so that I could rotate it to get direct reflection from sunlight. As you can see there is no reflection.
    Due to limits of my Vid card. I plan on going to P3D V4.5 - The top tier Video board cost more then then the basic P3D. At any rate, it is good to know that the
    shadow is no issue P3D V4. As Steve said, it is a terrific model. :C)

Has anybody done or is anybody doing this one?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3_1_b1.jpg  
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Has anybody done or is anybody doing this one?

Not I , but I like the double nuts (Modex) sharp looking paint scheme.

Edit: I'd say.... go for it Steve

Not I , but I like the double nuts (Modex) sharp looking paint scheme.

Edit: I'd say.... go for it Steve
    As best I recall, each squadron had a "double nuts" (usually just "X00" i.e. 100, 200, 300 etc.) modex, with standard squadron colors witt th CO's name under the cockpit, not always on both sides. At least one squadron would have a "triple nuts" with some multi-color Air Wing motif for the CAG. Usually it was the type of plane the CAG had a squadron command of, though he would be checked out in at least a couple of Air Wing types.

There was no hard and fast rule, and some wings had only a "X00" in each squadron with CAG colors somewhere (A-4 tadpole ribs etc) on each one. This drawing looks typical except for the "bolt nuts", which was seen on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    As best I recall, each squadron had a "double nuts" (usually just "X00" i.e. 100, 200, 300 etc.) modex, with standard squadron colors witt th CO's name under the cockpit, not always on both sides. At least one squadron would have a "triple nuts" with some multi-color Air Wing motif for the CAG. Usually it was the type of plane the CAG had a squadron command of, though he would be checked out in at least a couple of Air Wing types.

There was no hard and fast rule, and some wings had only a "X00" in each squadron with CAG colors somewhere (A-4 tadpole ribs etc) on each one. This drawing looks typical except for the "bolt nuts", which was seen on occasion.
    I'm aware of the each outfit having a Double Nuts (00) modex, I guess I should of said it differently i.e,. when commenting on the OO which are shaped like hardware nuts aka bolt nuts.

In one Navy squadron I was in, there were shoulder boards of the pilots rank painted beside the pilots name on each F8 aircraft.

Thanks Mike71 and Butch. I actually have a couple good color photographs of this aircraft so it's on with the show!

Steve
    Duckie

Not sure about the meaning of double nuts, several options....... but in any case many thanks Duckie, it looks like a potential d/l winner in time.

(triple nuts???)

Quote Originally Posted by mercure View Post
    Not sure about the meaning of double nuts, several options....... but in any case many thanks Duckie, it looks like a potential d/l winner in time.

(triple nuts???)
    Zeros, double Zeros are often called nuts. 00=double nuts 000=triple nuts

Probably from the term naughts meaning nothing.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

"Double Nuts". Aircraft numbers with zero zero belong to the unit commander. 100, 200, 300, etc. A common way to display it on Navy aircraft is double nuts. Like on this repaint I'm finishing up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFP-63.jpg  

I believe 00 is reserved for the CAG each squadron would have a CAG bird even if he was not checked out in that particular type.
    Often the squadron commander would have 01.
    The nuts reference is just slang for zeros. If combined with another number it might be balls, as in 78-005 might be called balls five.

Ah! Thank you. 'Nuts' may have other definitions over here.
    But triple, even for the boss, was puzzling.
    I can see clearly now.

To complete my point.
    Is the double or triple nuts plane gifted with special colours or insign?

Thanks all for clarification

I'm aware of the each outfit having a Double Nuts (00) modex, I guess I should of said it differently i.e,. when commenting on the OO which are shaped like hardware nuts aka bolt nuts.

In one Navy squadron I was in, there were shoulder boards of the pilots rank painted beside the pilots name on each F8 aircraft.
    Regarding names on Navy aircraft. I cannot recall a squadron without more pilots /NFO's than airplanes assigned to it. SOOooo - not everyone got their name on a plane.

In a squadron, pilots / NFOs were assigned "rocket numbers" used when checking in on a target range as part of the bomb/rocket/strafe exercise, for scoring. These numbers went by squadron seniority.

Obviously, the junior officers were low on the rocket number list and therefore didn't get their name painted on one, but typically would have moved up in seniority over a typical squadron tour, as people were re-asigned, replaced, promotions, etc.

No hard rules. In an A-6 squadron for instance, the CO would be painted on 500 under the left canopy rail, the senior NFO painted on the right side. On an F-14, front and rear respectively.

Some squadrons would put the plane captain's name on the right side somewhere - A-4s it was typically on the nose gear door.

All this was done internally in the squadron by the airframes work center ("shop"), who were only allowed to do a certain amount of painting according to NAVAIR regs, but it was pretty loose at times. Corrosion control was by far the biggest part of their work effort. As I recall, NAVAIR started to approve laminated decals to be applied in the 60's - initially it was resisted due to concern about dissimilar material corrosion underneath one.

Quote Originally Posted by mercure View Post
    To complete my point.
    Is the double or triple nuts plane gifted with special colours or insign?

Thanks all for clarification
    This particular one is apparently for the CAG, the rudder colors represent all the various colors in the wing. Other planes in the squadron would have a different rudder, but all the same (or no) design. ON "SHANG" in this time period their were 2 F-8 and 3 A-4 squadrons, plus a couple of detachments with other off-colors. perhaps 4 EA-1F;s, perhaps 4 KA-3's and at that time, a helo det. Det colors were usually not included in a "CAG bird" paint scheme that I can recall. In VF-111 at this time, all the others looked as in this photo link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...ornia_1970.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    I believe 00 is reserved for the CAG each squadron would have a CAG bird even if he was not checked out in that particular type.
    Often the squadron commander would have 01.
    The nuts reference is just slang for zeros. If combined with another number it might be balls, as in 78-005 might be called balls five.
    Not every squadron necessarily had a CAG bird; some wings might have one CAG bird for each type in the wing, and the senior squadron of that type would own it - i.e., with three A-4 squadrons, only the senior A-4 squadron (by squadron lineage, not CO seniority) would paint it up. I also saw squadrons with no "00" at all - the planes started at "X01"

Uploaded two VF-191 repaints just now. I was going to do a VMF-321 scheme (the blue upper fuselage with white stars) from the Alphasim days, but as far as I can find out, the unit only had F-8K's which were not equipped for operations with the Bullpup, so lacked the 'hump'. So I'll defer that for if RFN release an F-8C/D/E.

Stay safe all,

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks Dave!
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Uploaded two VF-191 repaints just now. I was going to do a VMF-321 scheme (the blue upper fuselage with white stars) from the Alphasim days, but as far as I can find out, the unit only had F-8K's which were not equipped for operations with the Bullpup, so lacked the 'hump'. So I'll defer that for if RFN release an F-8C/D/E.

Stay safe all,

DaveQ
    Hi Dave,
    many thnaks for these beautiful VF-191 repaints!!!
    I have one question though... I've seen you have uploaded two different files today (VF-191 and V1.1 update) but after downloading it appears that their content is the same... can you check please?
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave!!

Appreciate you did the line bird.

dl

Thanks Steph - I've re-uploaded the update zip. Hope it's OK now. Honest to God I'm going to have to give this up. I'm getting that senile....!!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Thanks Steph - I've re-uploaded the update zip. Hope it's OK now. Honest to God I'm going to have to give this up. I'm getting that senile....!!

DaveQ
    Thanks, Dave. You may want to check the update zip. The contents are the same as for VF-191.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Members who have read this thread: 4