RFN F-8 Crusader is out!! - Page 19
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: RFN F-8 Crusader is out!!

Repainters, here is where some important tiny bits are located on the "Fuselage1_T" file beginning with the v1.2 paintkit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V1.2 Paintkit Details.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Repainters, here is where some important tiny bits are located on the "Fuselage1_T" file beginning with the v1.2 paintkit.
    Thanks for posting this Frank. I wasn't at my FS PC or I would have. A picture is worth a lot lot more than I could ever explain!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Blog Entries
    Thanks Frank-that explains the conundrum.

dl

Working on this VSF-86 F-8 and on from sister squadron VSF-76. Both should be ready in a day or 2.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2020-may-10-002.jpg  
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Nice Duckie.

The F-8 and A-4 units that flew fighter cover for ASW carriers are not often repaint subjects. Thanks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Nice Duckie.

The F-8 and A-4 units that flew fighter cover for ASW carriers are not often repaint subjects. Thanks for this.
    Thanks d_l. Photos are hard to come by of these units and I am naturally suspicious of some artists renderings, but I lucked up and found a few decent photos of 76 and 86 birds, good enough to craft repaints of them anyway.

Steve
    Duckie

Thanks Frank - I'll bear this in mind if I do any more.

Stay safe and stay well everyone

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Looking beyond US and French subjects I've starting on the Philippine Air Force.
    They flew the F-8H for a decade beginning in 1977 (year I graduated from HS -- so long ago).
    This first one is the delivery scheme. Working on the later two-tone gray camo now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PAF_1977a.jpg  

Working on this VSF-86 F-8 and on from sister squadron VSF-76
    Like the paint! Can you add the black trim on the strakes like in the photo?

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Then he's have to remove the dragon from the rudder. Just sayin'

Blog Entries
    A little "good news" regarding the RFN F-8 Crusader interop with the SWS boats. I'm running P3Dv4.5, but I think this interop issue is present on the FSX installs too, so hopefully this helps.

So the problem was that I couldn't get the F-9 to either trap or hook up at the cat on either of the 3 period SWS boats ('65 Coral Sea, '73 Coral Sea, '73 Midway). So recently, SWS updated their CEV/ACA config files, and so with the latest version of the boats installed, I doublechecked and found the F-8 in the settings, but it still didn't work.

And then I recalled a completely unrelated interop problem I had with another model, and how I had inadvertently caused it because I renamed the main aircraft folder I'm quite fussy that all the aircraft in my simobjects folder be named correctly and consistently. So I had renamed the F-8 from "Crusader_F-8E_RFN_---P3D" to Vought F-8E Crusader". I like the manufacturer and then the model and then the name. Anyway, I renamed the main aircraft model to RFN default, and it works well*. I renamed it back to what I wanted, and it stopped working. Renamed back to default a 2nd time, and it worked* correctly. So I conclude that you have to leave the folder name unchanged, because CEV somehow has that tied to it's config settings for that aircraft.

That makes little sense given that I "correctly" relabel most of my aircraft, including the Razbam A-7s, for example from whatever they were originally to "Vought A-7E Corsair II" and it never had an issue trapping and launching. So its a bit puzzling, but the point is my RFN F-8 now launches and traps from the SWS boats withing (too much*) issue.

I should note, I had no issue launching / trapping with the other boats I used - the SDB CVN-65, or Gary's Oriskany boats.

*Note - I've asterisked the the words "works correctly" because while they indeed hook up to the SWS cats, I lose both the bridle that RFN modelled, as well as the correct orientation. Instead of sitting nose high/squatted, engaging the SWS catapult rotates the aircraft forward in pitch to a 0 deg angle of attack (so nosewheel on deck but main 2' up in the air), which frankly ticks me off. But then again, their own F-4 sits sunken 1' below the surface of the deck when engaged to the cat engaged, so I think there's multiple issues there.

The other thing I did with the SWS '65 Coral Sea is used the layout tool to untick static aircraft formations containing F-4s. So if you start with "crowded deck", then de-select yellow dots representing the aircraft cluster next to the island (you lose the F-4s but unfortunately the S-2 Tracker too) as well as the cluster of F-4s ranged along the right-hand side of the starboard forward cat, AND you add back in the cluster of A-4s ranged along the port forward cat - you now have a partially accurate early mid '60s (more specifically 1964) fit with just A-4s and A-1s on deck. In this configuration, you can get get an uninterrupted flow for circuits from the landing area then steering right to use the starboard cat for launch, and then repeating, without bumping into/taxiing through any deck statics. It's a fairly "crowded" deck with the F-4s removed so you can get the immersion of flying on a crowded CVN from the right period.

Not perfect, because there's no static F-8s, but that's the compromise that works best for me. Until Gary releases his stunning updated Essex boats, this is one configuration SWS owners can use to get by in the interim. Pretend you're the last in your F-8 squadron to launch and the first to recover, as reason for why you're the only F-8 on deck ...

Anyway hope this gets you SWS boat owners going with the F-8 if that's a configuration you like.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Then he's have to remove the dragon from the rudder. Just sayin'

Aw, come on Frank, he can have the black trim AND the gator!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VSF-86_2.jpg  
    Duckie

A little "good news" regarding the RFN F-8 Crusader interop with the SWS boats. I'm running P3Dv4.5, but I think this interop issue is present on the FSX installs too, so hopefully this helps.

Anyway hope this gets you SWS boat owners going with the F-8 if that's a configuration you like.
    Really good info. I had the same problem. I could never get a trap on either SWS boat with the F-8. I could every other boat I tried just not the SWS. Only thing is I have not renamed my main crusader folder it's what ever it came zipped as from RFN. Will give it a look later.

Thanks d_l

Steve
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Really good info. I had the same problem. I could never get a trap on either SWS boat with the F-8. I could every other boat I tried just not the SWS. Only thing is I have not renamed my main crusader folder it's what ever it came zipped as from RFN. Will give it a look later.

Thanks d_l

Steve
    My pleasure Steve.

Make sure the CEV/ACA app lists the RFN F-8, and that you've ticked it for any or all three boats. If you don't have that, then you're definitely never going to get it working.

Aw, come on Frank, he can have the black trim AND the gator!
    Well there you go. Can't argue with a photograph especially once you have more than one to reference.
    Keep digging until you find what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    That would be great, thanks.
    The museum replied to my email, asking if 15 April was a firm date for reopening, and said nothing has been decided yet. But their website still says the 15th, so I will keep checking on it. NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    The museum replied to my email, asking if 15 April was a firm date for reopening, and said nothing has been decided yet. But their website still says the 15th, so I will keep checking on it. NC
    15 April 2021 is a long time to wait .... just sayin'...

Working on this VSF-86 F-8 and on from sister squadron VSF-76. Both should be ready in a day or 2.

What I didn't know:

VFS-76 and VFS-86 were two NAS New Orleans, Louisiana, based squadrons tasked with the mission to provide fighter cover for the ant-submarine carriers. Previously flying early-model A-4 Skyhawks, the squadron transitioned to the F-8H in 1971.

I think they were aboard the USS Ticonderoga. Based in New Orleans, I now understand the gator on the rudder.

So the problem was that I couldn't get the F-9 to either trap or hook up at the cat on either of the 3 period SWS boats ('65 Coral Sea, '73 Coral Sea, '73 Midway). So recently, SWS updated their CEV/ACA config files, and so with the latest version of the boats installed, I doublechecked and found the F-8 in the settings, but it still didn't work.

And then I recalled a completely unrelated interop problem I had with another model, and how I had inadvertently caused it because I renamed the main aircraft folder I'm quite fussy that all the aircraft in my simobjects folder be named correctly and consistently. So I had renamed the F-8 from "Crusader_F-8E_RFN_---P3D" to Vought F-8E Crusader". I like the manufacturer and then the model and then the name. Anyway, I renamed the main aircraft model to RFN default, and it works well*. I renamed it back to what I wanted, and it stopped working. Renamed back to default a 2nd time, and it worked* correctly. So I conclude that you have to leave the folder name unchanged, because CEV somehow has that tied to it's config settings for that aircraft.

That makes little sense given that I "correctly" relabel most of my aircraft, including the Razbam A-7s, for example from whatever they were originally to "Vought A-7E Corsair II" and it never had an issue trapping and launching. So its a bit puzzling, but the point is my RFN F-8 now launches and traps from the SWS boats withing (too much*) issue.

I should note, I had no issue launching / trapping with the other boats I used - the SDB CVN-65, or Gary's Oriskany boats.

*Note - I've asterisked the the words "works correctly" because while they indeed hook up to the SWS cats, I lose both the bridle that RFN modelled, as well as the correct orientation. Instead of sitting nose high/squatted, engaging the SWS catapult rotates the aircraft forward in pitch to a 0 deg angle of attack (so nosewheel on deck but main 2' up in the air), which frankly ticks me off. But then again, their own F-4 sits sunken 1' below the surface of the deck when engaged to the cat engaged, so I think there's multiple issues there.

The other thing I did with the SWS '65 Coral Sea is used the layout tool to untick static aircraft formations containing F-4s. So if you start with "crowded deck", then de-select yellow dots representing the aircraft cluster next to the island (you lose the F-4s but unfortunately the S-2 Tracker too) as well as the cluster of F-4s ranged along the right-hand side of the starboard forward cat, AND you add back in the cluster of A-4s ranged along the port forward cat - you now have a partially accurate early mid '60s (more specifically 1964) fit with just A-4s and A-1s on deck. In this configuration, you can get get an uninterrupted flow for circuits from the landing area then steering right to use the starboard cat for launch, and then repeating, without bumping into/taxiing through any deck statics. It's a fairly "crowded" deck with the F-4s removed so you can get the immersion of flying on a crowded CVN from the right period.

Not perfect, because there's no static F-8s, but that's the compromise that works best for me. Until Gary releases his stunning updated Essex boats, this is one configuration SWS owners can use to get by in the interim. Pretend you're the last in your F-8 squadron to launch and the first to recover, as reason for why you're the only F-8 on deck ...

DL... total side topic...

Do you mind posting a top down pic of the '65 Coral Sea? I'm wondering if it is of the SCB-110 configuration?

Nevermind, just saw a 1960 photo and apparently she was the first to get the starboard forward elevator and the centerline elevator removed...

I'm looking for a better FDR 1957 boat.

Thanks

P.S. We're two peas in a pod in renaming our aircraft folders

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    What I didn't know:

VFS-76 and VFS-86 were two NAS New Orleans, Louisiana, based squadrons tasked with the mission to provide fighter cover for the ant-submarine carriers. Previously flying early-model A-4 Skyhawks, the squadron transitioned to the F-8H in 1971.

I think they were aboard the USS Ticonderoga. Based in New Orleans, I now understand the gator on the rudder.
    That's one of the really interesting side benefits of repainting (and modeling too!) is you learn stuff!
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    DL... total side topic...

Do you mind posting a top down pic of the '65 Coral Sea? I'm wondering if it is of the SCB-110 configuration?

Nevermind, just saw a 1960 photo and apparently she was the first to get the starboard forward elevator and the centerline elevator removed...

I'm looking for a better FDR 1957 boat.

Thanks

P.S. We're two peas in a pod in renaming our aircraft folders
    Yeah, I can't think of any centerline elevators that stayed through to any angled deck conversions - but I could be wrong. Yes, the SWS Coral Sea 1965 version reflects the 1955 SCB-110 refit, and the 1973 Midway reflects its 1967-1969 enlargement refit.

As to the fit I described with only A-1s and A-4s on deck, you can effectively simulate as early as CV-43's 1960 cruise with reasonable accuracy - the unit markings of the static aircraft excepted. So absent the ability repaint the statics, I just live with the '65 cruise fit for very early 60s carrier configuration.

dl

Yeah, I can't think of any centerline elevators that stayed through to any angled deck conversions - but I could be wrong. Yes, the SWS Coral Sea 1965 version reflects the 1955 SCB-110 refit, and the 1973 Midway reflects its 1967-1969 enlargement refit.

As to the fit I described with only A-1s and A-4s on deck, you can effectively simulate as early as CV-43's 1960 cruise with reasonable accuracy - the unit markings of the static aircraft excepted. So absent the ability repaint the statics, I just live with the '65 cruise fit for very early 60s carrier configuration.

dl
    CVA-42 '55-'68

Midway, too
    This is from '63

Last edited by FlyingsCool; May 11th, 2020 at 17:05.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    CVA-42 '55-'68

Midway, too
    This is from '63

Good point re the other two Midway boats. I think because they were slated to get the more extensive SCB-101.6 refits, and the Coral Sea wasn't the latter got a few of the later refits bundled into her one later refit.

Unfortunately the included SWS Midway (1973) is post SCB-101.66, so other than flying (hopefully?) a future RF-8G, it's not a very realistic fit for fighter F-8s, given it's got decks of A-7s and F-8s. But deck configurations are complex, so I get devs need to pick a cruise and go with it.

dl

VSF-76 and VSF-86, sister antisubmarine fighter squadrons both based at NAS New Orleans circa 1973, are done and will be uploaded later this evening.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Duckie

I have a short list of planes I'd love to see in a flight simulator someday that I'm unlikely to ever see... This is near the top:

Meanwhile, I'm loving the RFN F-8!

Members who have read this thread: 3