RFN F-8 Crusader is out!! - Page 7
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: RFN F-8 Crusader is out!!

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    A"brace" of Oriskany Gunfighters that possibly could be done to go with Gaz's most enjoyable Oriskany. I painted these for the AS F-8 but were never good enough to post ..

PS - getting the blue color just right on the VMF(AW)-212 may be tricky as the photos all vary to the eye!

Both are under construction now!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

PS - getting the blue color just right on the VMF(AW)-212 may be tricky as the photos all vary to the eye!
    Yes expat, that may be the hardest part about that repaint!
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Yes expat, that may be the hardest part about that repaint!
    Just did a quick scan and see every shade of blue out there. Some differences in markings as well depending on the cruise. Don't forget the pineapple.

This link might be of help but it assumes they didn't use too much artistic license themselves.
    http://www.internetmodeler.com/scale...-Crusaders.php
    Hope this help.

Hey Frank, thanks for the tip! Had that one in my library already among many others just to get a sample of the blue. And you are correct,sir! There are as many shades of blue as there are artists and photos. One artist has 4 lithographs of 4 different aircraft from 212 and all 4 have drastically different shades of blue! Go figure.

Here's what I'm going with.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2020-mar-25-022.jpg  
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Hey Frank, thanks for the tip! Had that one in my library already among many others just to get a sample of the blue. And you are correct,sir! There are as many shades of blue as there are artists and photos. One artist has 4 lithographs of 4 different aircraft from 212 and all 4 have drastically different shades of blue! Go figure.

Here's what I'm going with.

That'll look good, Steve!

Sometimes colours in the sim can look almost too "hot" - I think you've nailed it.

Looking forward to this one.

dl

Boy that 212 is gonna be a beauty! Here's VF-191 that I've been working on. I have a couple markings to add and looking again, I don't like the white diamonds on the tail. They're too straight. they need to start following the downward bend of the red stripe. Anyways, having fun with this one. I've been going back and forth between this and the DCD F/A-18.

Mike

Looks good Mike. I can strike that one from my list.
    Duckie

Great looking 191 and Steve that's a good choice of blue for the 212!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Together with 212 is this VMF 333.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2020-mar-26-002.jpg  
    Duckie

That was going to be my next request!!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Trip Trey was the last squadron I was in before I got out, and they transitioned to the F/A-18C's.
    We had just returned from one of the last, if not THE last, Phantom det to Iwakuni, Japan, and from there to Clark AFB, the P.I., Osan, Korea, and so on. Snowed the day after we left, and a C-141 pranged, slipping on the ice and snow off the end of the runway. If our work vans had still been in place, the wing would have torn through the setup. We were SO glad it wasn't a transport meant for us!

At least at Clark, they put the Marines up in a condemned barracks. Best food I ever ate in the military, and the prettiest girls the AF had, I think. Moved into their barracks with a pair of AF girls. Readily available, as 90% of the men on base spent all their time, and money, out in Angeles City, outside the base. Maid service, uniforms cleaned and pressed every day, a chow hall across the street... It was Marine Corps heaven, let me tell you. I had to do a lot of extra PT, since the food was so good. Beautiful base to run on, at least, until Mt. Pinatubo blew it's top all over the base, shortly after we left.

In Osan, they put us in a tent city on the far side of the golf course. A far, far corner of the base, right next to their ROK Marine encampment. . Most fun we had was in Osan, I think.
    They held a drill, setting off "bombs" near our tents, and then seeing what the AP did about it. At about 0200. We were yelling at them to shut up and go away. They responded with "Go F#$% yourselves, Jarheads. Make us!" The tents emptied out fast. We turned their jeep over, disassembled their Ma Deuce, as well as their personal weapons, and left them in a pile, with the APs tied up, naked, beside the pile. We went back to bed, and let them explain to their highers what happened. We were all asleep. Must have been the simulated North Koreans that were "invading"...

Sorry, I babble. Thanks for the trigger of the memories! I appreciate it.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Unless I missed it on previous posts here, a VF-194 "Red Lightnings" paint job would be a good companion to Mike's VF-191 paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VF-194-03.jpg  

First look at VMF 212. Still have some stenciling to do (Oriskany, Sq. code on wing, etc.)

[IMG][/IMG]
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Looks awesome Steve! Any chance you could paint the helmet the matching blue? The few photos I've seen (admittedly low quality and very small) seem to show them as the matching blue, with the crest on the visor cover.

Looking forward to this one.

Thanks a million in advance.

dl

I should be able to do the helmet. Is the whole thing blue or just the visor? Where is the crest located? If it’s on the visor that’s ok. If it’s on the sides it might be a problem. Let me know.
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Hi Steve,

It looks like both the dome and the visor cover are both blue. Crest location is a bit of a guess - larger crest either on the "crown" of the skull/dome (centered L/R, just aft of the top of the helmet), or a slightly smaller crest centered L/R within either the L half or the R half of the visor (to one side of the slider knob or the other)

I'd say, whatever's easier - likely on the visor. I'm sure whatever you choose will be good.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hi Steve,

It looks like both the dome and the visor cover are both blue. Crest location is a bit of a guess - larger crest either on the "crown" of the skull/dome (centered L/R, just aft of the top of the helmet), or a slightly smaller crest centered L/R within either the L half or the R half of the visor (to one side of the slider knob or the other)

I'd say, whatever's easier - likely on the visor. I'm sure whatever you choose will be good.

dl
    Duckie

I should be able to do the helmet... dl
    Well shut my mouth and call me corn pone!

OK, regarding the helmet, for me, here's the complication. Those who are following this thread saw where "johndetrick" posted his nice looking VMF-235 Death Angels repaint. At that time he also passed on a tip that he was using the "Model.F-8E-FN_Var1" instead of the "Model.F-8J" to obtain a more accurate visual model of the F-8E, the major visual difference being that the VAR 1 model omits the RHAW housing atop the vertical tail which is included with the F-8J variant.

I agree with his tip and began using the VAR 1 model with the VMF-212 paint I'm currently working on. When I looked into decorating the pilot's helmet I discovered that each of the 4 models included with the RFN F-8 has a different pilot and helmet and uniform color, and O2 mask! The 4 different helmet variations are hard coded into their respective models! Only the J model uses the period USN type helmet with the visor shield. It can only be used with the F-8J model which has the less correct exterior visual model for a US F-8E without the RHAW housing.

Going forward with my F-8E repaints I've chosen to use the VAR 1 model which uses the pilot texture for that model. I have modified that texture to have the US type uniform and another couple bits, but there's nothing I can do about the helmet which is coded into the VAR 1 model.

Of course, you'll have the option to use my variation, the stock VAR 1 pilot, or to use the J model, your choice. With my variation you'll need to create a new model folder with the VAR 1 model and the "J" VC model. I will include instructions on how to do this but I'm sure most of you know how to do this anyway.

Sorry for the long post but thought it might answer some questions down the line.
    Duckie

I've used MCX to take the Var1 model tail fin and swap it onto the -J, to create my own -E. Just another suggestion....

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    I've used MCX to take the Var1 model tail fin and swap it onto the -J, to create my own -E. Just another suggestion....

DaveQ
    ...and a good one it is. Unfortunately I'm afraid I'm not that accomplished with MCX and then there're the folks like me who are in the same boat!
    Duckie

I saw that bit with the helmet on my repaint, but just accepted it. I would love to be able swap pieces around from one model to another. I have MCX but use it to render the models while painting.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    I saw that bit with the helmet on my repaint, but just accepted it. I would love to be able swap pieces around from one model to another. I have MCX but use it to render the models while painting.
    That’s pretty much the extent of my MCX skills too.
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Hi Duckie et al,

My apologies for not noticing earlier that you were intending to paint for the "Var 1", or I would have spoken sooner. My assumption was that all USN/USMC paints would focus on the J, since those other versions as decidedly E(FN)s feature the Gueneau 313 and 316 helmets versus the APH-5/6 style.

For my part, I do hope your paint will work with the J, as I find the presence of the RHAW gear a bit of less obtrusive visual compromise than the larger, more bulbous French helmet style. But that's just my view - I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever you come up with.

Again, looks good, and I appreciate the work you and the other artists are putting into this model.

Kind regards,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post

DaveQ
    Hi Guys,
    mmm, I really do prefer you ask me to compile an extra exterior mdl than open it and do some changes in it... For a modeler, seing his mdl recompiled by other gives always a strange feeling even if it's done for good purpose...
    To be honest I always thought that MCX requires some source files (like animation code) to be able to recompiled a full funtionnal mdl... It appears that it is not the case and I really deeply regret it...
    Regarding the main concern, yes visually the F-8E is very close the the first French Crusader configuration except leading edge, which are simple in the E and double in FN and J version. This and the BLC management are the reason why the E was not in the 1st realese: it riquires more times to be set up...
    Note also that the Var1 mdl has painted exhaust and not bared alu one. It is another extra configuration item that should have to be taken into your consideration. Let me know what kind of configuration you would like me to compiled now a "E"-like mdl to wait for a full E version which should come later.

Regards,
    Sylvain

Sylvain,
    you are an exceedingly generous contributor to our skies - thank you very much for all that you do for us,
    Ro

Members who have read this thread: 4