RFN F-8 Crusader is out!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: RFN F-8 Crusader is out!!

Thanks RFN team this bird flys like a dream,haven’t tried catting from a carrier yet,but tonight,I will.

Blurry panel

I concur whole heartily about the devine flight characteristics and this wonderful model. Unfortunately I'm unable to appreciate the alleged fine cockpit. I'm running 1440 X 900 X 32 and the panel is very blurry. The pointers are sharp..I noticed in RS's post,I can read his compass from his photo, but in my display the entire panel is so blurry, it is unuseable. I can't even read the numbers on my compass. Are these bmps such a high resolution that I can't use them? I'd really like to use this cockpit. I can view the bmp of the RFN gauges and they are very clear. It's just the basic cockpit I'm having issue with. Any ideas??... Thanks to all in advance... Terry

Quote Originally Posted by sparouty View Post
    Hi,
    Don't remove the //because the launch bar is hard coded into the model and the one in comment nithe aircraft.cfg is not well positionned.
    You have to strike Shift+U to lower the virtual Launch Bar. Even if there is no Launch bar in the Crusader, FS need it to be activated. Then you will see a little red dot at the exact place where the catapult shuttle have to be positionned.
    In the screen shot below you can almost guess the red dot and see how the F-8 is positionned on the catapult : the shuttle behind the front wheel.

Regards,
    S.
    That might explain why mine bounces when I hook up to the catapult. I'll try turning them off again. What of the tailhook?

Quote Originally Posted by simtech View Post
    I concur whole heartily about the devine flight characteristics and this wonderful model. Unfortunately I'm unable to appreciate the alleged fine cockpit. I'm running 1440 X 900 X 32 and the panel is very blurry. The pointers are sharp..I noticed in RS's post,I can read his compass from his photo, but in my display the entire panel is so blurry, it is unuseable. I can't even read the numbers on my compass. Are these bmps such a high resolution that I can't use them? I'd really like to use this cockpit. I can view the bmp of the RFN gauges and they are very clear. It's just the basic cockpit I'm having issue with. Any ideas??... Thanks to all in advance... Terry
    I've noticed the first third of the airspeed indicator goes blurry at certain throttle settings. I concur with the labels in the cockpit. A bit fuzzy, but it looks like they're working on a couple more. RFN is probably reading and taking notes and may have a correction but I just keep reminding myself how much I paid for it! How is your USN texture from a spot view? Mine's fuzzy but the French Navy ones are sharp.

Josh, the external views are NOT crystal clear, but very acceptable. I concur, the French textures are very sharp. No issues with the external textures at all with any livery. That probably has to do with the format of the textures. I can, at least, read all of the notices on the exterior of the airplanes. It's only the VC I'm having issues with. I examined the panel.cfg and noticed there isn't a 2-D panel, so it's important to have a clear VC. Another tip, the images in the mirror are very clear, but inverted...like upside down... What did I do wrong???
    Last edited by simtech; March 11th, 2020 at 18:55. Reason: clarification and additional info

Quote Originally Posted by simtech View Post
    For issue with some VC textures blurry (main panel one for instance), please check your graphic settings to be sure that your system manage high defintion textures. In the VC there's one 2048px texture which can be badly displayed if your system is limited by your settings.
    In the manual, Installation part, I give some more detail on how to check your FSX.cfg (or Prepare3D.cfg) file by searching if "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD" is defined and set to 2048px or higher.
    Regards,
    Sylvain

For issue with some VC textures blurry (main panel one for instance), please check your graphic settings to be sure that your system manage high defintion textures. In the VC there's one 2048px texture which can be badly displayed if your system is limited by your settings.
    In the manual, Installation part, I give some more detail on how to check your FSX.cfg (or Prepare3D.cfg) file by searching if "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD" is defined and set to 2048px or higher.
    Regards,
    Sylvain
    Or size the sheet to 4096 and job done

brushes already smokin! Thanks for the bird guys!

could use a paintkit though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-3-12_21-47-0-823.jpg   Screenshot - 12_03_2020 , 21_26_43.jpg  

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nastybeasts View Post
    Or size the sheet to 4096 and job done

brushes already smokin! Thanks for the bird guys!

could use a paintkit though
    There's one on the download page: http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....ations.htm#Avi

Looking forward to what you come up with!

Nice paints Jankees!

Sylvain, I wish to convey many thanks and kudos to you and the FRN team. The F-8 is an extremely versatile, detailed accomplishment. I'm looking forward to spending many hours in the cockpit..Yes, your suggestion to check the fsx.cfg proved to be the culprit. For some reason the texture max load was down to 256. Not sure how that happened as all of my other aircraft were displaying fine. Anyways, I increased the value to 2048 and all is well... "I can see clearly now....." Thank you, thank you and looking forward to those traps... Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    Looks great and flies great but I had to alias the sound to the Milviz F-100. (As I also did with my Virtavia Skyray and Razbam F-102. Their Hun sounds just like Dean Cutshall's real one so it's my go to J57 source!) I just have to work in the gauge for the afterburner BANG. As an aside, has anyone had issues with the USN skin? The three RFN skins display crystal clear on my monitor but the USN one looks a bit blurry.
    I agree this is a very beautiful Crusader. The cockpit textures and switches are superb!

I too intend to alias to the Milviz F-100. I also noticed that I had no exhaust effect so will be adding some smoke.

Fantastic work on a much anticipated FSX aircraft ! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by simulloyd View Post
    I agree this is a very beautiful Crusader. The cockpit textures and switches are superb!

I too intend to alias to the Milviz F-100. I also noticed that I had no exhaust effect so will be adding some smoke.
    You should have both afterburner and smoke effects. Look at your installation folders, there is an effect folder in, you just have to copy-past its content into your flight sim Effects folder.
    Regards,
    S.

I see some beautiful repaints and screenshots but it would be good to turn on the windscreen demister....!!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

, a little make up on those cheeks...

still need to find the exact shape of this part its quite tricky! but this is the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot - 13_03_2020 , 10_49_07.jpg   Screenshot - 13_03_2020 , 10_09_20.jpg   Screenshot - 13_03_2020 , 10_47_04.jpg  

that should do it

in mcx

with

without

seems to works, tuning the shape is a go. Its funny how shadows rendering evolved in mcx, you always needed to check the proper result in fsx before, and now with p3d and all it has become far better than my beloved sim...I'll be out of a job soon at this pace.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot - 13_03_2020 , 11_11_49.jpg   2020-3-13_11-22-46-611.jpg   2020-3-13_11-23-12-53.jpg  

if someone told me iwas ganna draw camel backs and toes today...

nose bulbish shapes

with intake and tamed a bit

probe fairing....

and both sides under the light

thats all for now huge work ahead!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot - 13_03_2020 , 11_39_50.jpg   Screenshot - 13_03_2020 , 11_47_34.jpg   Screenshot - 13_03_2020 , 12_14_35.jpg   2020-3-13_12-23-48-616.jpg   2020-3-13_12-21-20-25.jpg  

As one of the most die hard fans of Carl "Ninjamouse" Edward's F-8 with all the great upgrades contributed by others, it has spent the most time of any plane in my "active" aircraft/airplanes folder over the past 15 years (!) and is still there in P3D 4.5. I therefore was sceptical a bit about this WIP. But wow - Sylvain and team this is an outstanding achivement!!

She looks amazing outside and inside. The systems modelled and functionality are really remarkable. Didn't realise this aircraft had so many functions and backup functions. Last and not least the flight handling is super. Trims out really fine in cruise.

One or two issues:

• Start up: Does this bird have a batterY? Can't see any switch or external power switch in the aircraft or manual. I have done some cold and dark startups. However, if I shut down the engine without resetting the a/c with F10, it will not crank if I try to start her again.
    • Autopilot: Cannot get the AP Engaged light to light, or the AP Alt Hold light to light. The Alt Hold switch won't turn on - it just clicks back to the off position. In other words, no working AP.

Kudos and congratulations to all on this. Very much a case of great things being worth waiting for!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Update

Cold/Dark startup sorted: external power is the same as gen-test.

Just can't get the AP to work.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Cold/Dark startup sorted: external power is the same as gen-test.

Just can't get the AP to work.
    It's in the manual. Use your trigger/brake button to engage/disengage. It works.

dl

Hi DL,

Thanks for the reply. I spotted that unusal step in the manual. If I press the key normally assigned for brakes "." on then off - I then hear the sound the default AP function makes i.e. for most when you press "z" - but the engaged lights stay off and the ALT hold button doesn't stay on. I wonder if it may be my key assignments? I tried changing the repeat slider settings but it made not difference. Not sure I can retro fit another AP guage in a pop up in this bird that will work. Sure flies well trimmed up with no AP! Love this aircraft.

You should have both afterburner and smoke effects. Look at your installation folders, there is an effect folder in, you just have to copy-past its content into your flight sim Effects folder.
    Regards,
    S.
    I can modulate the AB flame effect from low flame to full Max flame however, the smoke effect is not that prevalent.

I can use the smoke effect from "another F-8) and voila there is smoke.

[SMOKESYSTEM]

smoke.1 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for canopy jettison
    smoke.2 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for catapult vapor effect
    smoke.3 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Dim Nav light command
    smoke.4 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Dim Strip light command
    smoke.5 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Dim Tail light command
    smoke.6 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Switch light & Primary Power control
    smoke.7 = 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_dummy ; dummy effect for Switch light & Emergency Power control
    smoke.8 = 19.50, 0.00, 0.80, fx_F-8_vclight ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire
    smoke.9 = 19.50, 0.00, 0.80, fx_F-8_vclight ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire
    smoke.10 = 18.80, 0.00, 1.10, fx_F-8_vclight_low ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire
    smoke.11 = 18.80, 0.00, 1.10, fx_F-8_vclight_Med ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire
    smoke.12 = 18.80, 0.00, 1.10, fx_F-8_vclight_Hi ; eclairage habitacle complémentaire

smoke.13= -22.0, 0.0, 0.0, fx_cruz_afterburner_1_FSX.fx , // Afterburner AB min
    smoke.14= -21.0, 0.0, 0.0, fx_cruz_afterburner_2_FSX.fx , // Afterburner AB min
    smoke.15= -25.5, 0.0, 0.0, fx_cruz_afterburner_3_FSX.fx , // Afterburner AB max
    smoke.16 = -22.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_F8_engsmoke <<<< This is effect I added.

I don't know how long the stock smoke effect was suppose to last i.e engine start up smoke or during flight or what? ^^^

Members who have read this thread: 4