RFN F-8 Crusader is out!! - Page 11
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: RFN F-8 Crusader is out!!

Thanks for the new version. No problems with the install here.

One issue I noted. The VC Cockpit views (CameraDefinitions 1 thru 4) are all skewed. Is that due to the new models? Just wondering.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

My repaint update pack has been uploaded.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg  
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Thank you so much Sylvain and all at RFN for a truly great free add-on. Only just got this but, as needed, and like Duckie, I'll amend my repaints as required. Hope one day for some air-to-ground ordnance for the Da Nang Marines! But that's just greedy I know!

Having great fun with this in lock-down

Stay well and stay safe all.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

It all works now

I recopied the contents of both Panels and now the shift + keys work!
    I do have one question, if I select guns only, are the winders suppose to disappear?
    Are there any visual changes if I select other ordnance loads cause I am not seeing
    any visual changes.....

Edit: When I select one of the other ordnance loadout it adds more weight to the aircraft consequently, the aircraft will lower accordingly. I think what ever
    ordnance you see on the plane remains even after you adjust the ordnance load outs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Thank you so much Sylvain and all at RFN for a truly great free add-on. Only just got this but, as needed, and like Duckie, I'll amend my repaints as required. Hope one day for some air-to-ground ordnance for the Da Nang Marines! But that's just greedy I know!

Having great fun with this in lock-down

Stay well and stay safe all.

DaveQ
    You know, I think I’ve been remiss in adequately acknowledging the overall appeal of this model, from both a painter’s and
    a simmer’s perspective. I whole heartedly agree with all the positive sentiment and feedback offered in this thread. The model itself definitely filled a huge gap in the early fast jet category. To me it is a beautifully sleek looking aircraft and the RFND crew have definitely captured that “look”. Now, I’m not a pilot but I can say I enjoy flying their F-8 because it is challenging enough that I had to learn how to fly it. It requires a certain level of attention for me to successfully get up and down in it.

The paint kit is a joy to use. Although it’s not perfect, but what paint kit is (IMO), it comes real close for my purposes.

So, thank you RFND Crew for your F-8. It’s fun to fly. It’s fun to paint. It’s Great to look at. And, it’s FREE!!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I recopied the contents of both Panels and now the shift + keys work!
    I do have one question, if I select guns only, are the winders suppose to disappear?
    Are there any visual changes if I select other ordnance loads cause I am not seeing
    any visual changes.....

Edit: When I select one of the other ordnance loadout it adds more weight to the aircraft consequently, the aircraft will lower accordingly. I think what ever
    ordnance you see on the plane remains even after you adjust the ordnance load outs.

Did you click the Apply button? Nothing happens visually until you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Did you click the Apply button? Nothing happens visually until you do that.
    I Did. I clicked on each and every load out option followed with the apply button and nothing else happened other then the the noticeable sagging downward of the plane.

I take it that there is suppose to be a visual change in the ordnance once selected + apply? For me, the apply button has a red outline around it.

I'd sure like to see a screen shot of what the plane is suppose to look like with just guns selected or a full ordnance load.
    Last edited by gray eagle; April 16th, 2020 at 09:20.

Getting closer

Think I may of stumbled on the ordnance configuration issue or lack of.

I noticed that the texture.cfg file in the VF-211 plane had one entry only and that the panel folder has a texture cfg file that has much more info.

I took a chance and copied that texture config file over to the VF 211 texture and now I can see different configurations take place. Only thing now is that

the missles are black = missing textures for the missles.

Looks like your gear and gear-bay areas are missing textures, also!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Looks like your gear and gear-bay areas are missing textures, also!
    It's always something,,,,,The color of the fuselage is darker too.

This is contents of main texture cfg

[fltsim]
    fallback.1=..\..\EtendardIVM-2pts\Texture <<<< Couldn't find the EtendardIVM-2pts part (What and wherever that is)
    fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\Texture
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\Textur e

this is contents of all other textures..

[fltsim]
    fallback.1=..\texture

It took the main texture cfg entires to make the ordnance show black but they did show at a loss to the wheels and other stuff.

Maybe this is a P34D V3.4 thing I dunno. But I did manage to get this far. It's a texture config issue (I guess) but it sounds like you guys in FSX are doing okay.

It's always something,,,,,The color of the fuselage is darker too.

This is contents of main texture cfg

[fltsim]
    fallback.1=..\..\EtendardIVM-2pts\Texture <<<< Couldn't find the EtendardIVM-2pts part (What and wherever that is)
    fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\Texture
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\Textur e

this is contents of all other textures..

[fltsim]
    fallback.1=..\texture

It took the main texture cfg entires to make the ordnance show black but they did show at a loss to the wheels and other stuff.

Maybe this is a P34D V3.4 thing I dunno. But I did manage to get this far. It's a texture config issue (I guess) but it sounds like you guys in FSX are doing okay.
    The cfg file of the default texture folder is not really important beaucse the Crusader don't use default FS texture.
    But it seems that you miss some common texture files... For what I can see, Details01_T.dds and Details02_T.dds are missing and certainly others too.
    Please delete your folder called "Texture" and copy paste again it from the v1.1 package. It should fix this last issue.

Regards,
    S.

It all works now

Quote Originally Posted by sparouty View Post
    The cfg file of the default texture folder is not really important beaucse the Crusader don't use default FS texture.
    But it seems that you miss some common texture files... For what I can see, Details01_T.dds and Details02_T.dds are missing and certainly others too.
    Please delete your folder called "Texture" and copy paste again it from the v1.1 package. It should fix this last issue.

Regards,
    S.
    I tired your suggestion (copied the texture in V1.1 and reverted to the original texture.cfg for that livery and it works just fine now.

Thanks very much for your help and this great addon

It is a BEAUTIFUL model in all respects! I am seeing, however, a strange "haze" on my windscreen. Am sure it is a graphics settings, but wanted to post the screenshot anyway.....NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-4-17_5-2-46-558.jpg  

Hi, Chief! Turn on your windscreen defrosters. Switch is on the right-hand console, upper portion!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hi, Chief! Turn on your windscreen defrosters. Switch is on the right-hand console, upper portion!
    That did it, THANKS! NC

I have zero clue what the differences are, visually, for the different F-8 models are. I do know that the one I worked on at Patuxent River in the mid 1970s was a F-8H, and would love to see this as a repaint, except the tail symbol was not the Service Test "S", as in this picture, but rather the Naval Air Test Center Patuxent River insignia.

F-8H BUNO 147058

This is the only photo of it I could find on the internet.

But the tail symbol, when I was there, was this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0290048.jpg   s-l400.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    It is a BEAUTIFUL model in all respects! I am seeing, however, a strange "haze" on my windscreen. Am sure it is a graphics settings, but wanted to post the screenshot anyway.....NC

If this is "Haze Gray and Underway" I'm staying home!

Quote Originally Posted by simulloyd View Post
    If this is "Haze Gray and Underway" I'm staying home!

Ahh, come on! Where's the excitement in that? I will say this....living conditions for present day carriers are LOT better than what I experienced on the Indy and the Sara!! NC

Ahh, come on! Where's the excitement in that? I will say this....living conditions for present day carriers are LOT better than what I experienced on the Indy and the Sara!! NC
    Absolutely agree, Chief - nukes rule!

No water hours, more heat to do whatever is needed and steam at full speed for as far as you need to. No stack gas / corrosion, no DFM fumes, fewer underway replenishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Absolutely agree, Chief - nukes rule!

No water hours, more heat to do whatever is needed and steam at full speed for as far as you need to. No stack gas / corrosion, no DFM fumes, fewer underway replenishments.
    Agreed, Mike! Nothing like standing on the flightdeck, in the wrong spot, while the ship makes a turn and you find yourself in a cloud of stack gas!

Sara-1969-70 Med Cruise
    Hanna-1970-71 WestPac

Agreed, Mike! Nothing like standing on the flightdeck, in the wrong spot, while the ship makes a turn and you find yourself in a cloud of stack gas!

Sara-1969-70 Med Cruise
    Hanna-1970-71 WestPac
    Was in a cloud of stack gas and a hi yo silver
    Ranger -73/73
    (There were plenty of other bat barge trips before and
    after this one)

And not to mention those Essex class 27C. We had wooden flight decks. From where I was on the flight deck when a spad (A1D) launched, I'd get wood splinters on my red jersey.
    When launching, the F8's would melt the raised blast deflectors and buckets of water were splashed on them to put cool them off (Westpac)

I've got some blurry panels! I know it's 'Cockpit_I_2', but I didn't succed in getting it crisp as it should be. Suggestions?

Cees

First of a series I'm working on finishing up. I'm doing three schemes worn by F-8J's of VFP-63 during the 70s
    through early 80s at NAS Miramar (aka "Fightertown" at the time). This first one was the CO's ride in 1974.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFP-63.jpg  

I've copied the V1.1 over my 1.0 and I kept my original 1.0 Aircraft.cfg. What needs to be installed to use the payload stations?
    I haven't installed any RFN Gauges. Not sure what you mean by using the 2news mdl of V1.1.....

Edit: I use P3D V3.4
    I highly recommend getting the program Winmerge. It's excellent for comparing aircraft.cfg files for updating them (plus a whole lot of other stuff, too).

I don't imagine they kept a detailed list of all the changes they made.

Members who have read this thread: 3