UVW Mapping problem with 3-views

Thread: UVW Mapping problem with 3-views

Hybrid View

UVW Mapping problem with 3-views

Milton, I've followed along with your 3-view calibration box video with my GMax open, and when we get to the point where you apply the texture, the shade of the box changes slightly, ( mine does not) and then click the little checkered blue and white box to show the texture, my texture does not show. It stays the default colour as when I created the box. Is there a setting I'm missing? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    Milton, I've followed along with your 3-view calibration box video with my GMax open, and when we get to the point where you apply the texture, the shade of the box changes slightly, ( mine does not) and then click the little checkered blue and white box to show the texture, my texture does not show. It stays the default colour as when I created the box. Is there a setting I'm missing? Thanks.
    Not sure without screen shots or video of what you have.

Ensure your map is correct for the texture and object;
    ensure that the poly was selected when you applied it;
    ensure the bmp/jpeg is of the correct format and size;
    if you cannot see it applies still, apply an Unwrap UVW to the stack, select Edit from the Parameters in the Rollout, and view how the map fits the texture. Adjust as necessary.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Ah yes! the right format. I forgot the .bmp has to be 256, 512, or 1024 and 8bit if I remember right. I'll try that and report back. Great to speak with you Milton, all the best to you good sir.

Well, I was still not successful. What is the .bmp size and format supposed to be again? I've included here, my procedure in photos. I do appreciate your help. It's been 9 years since I've been in GMax lol

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg   Image4.jpg   Image7b.jpg   Image7a.jpg   Image7.jpg   Image8.jpg  

Hi Doug,

I cannot discern the issue from the screen shots provided.

To clarify texture sizes, gmax does not care; its that we have to conform to FS requirements for the textures so using powers of 2 sizes like 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 is what we do in gmax as well.

Also, in gmax, you may use bmps or jpegs or anything gmax accepts. When the model and texture data is exported, the texture suffix (bmp, jpeg, etc) is stripped and bmp is assumed for FS.

In your example, you show that you flipped the box polys in the process but the box polys do not appear flipped (facing inwards) in subsequent screen shots.

I am providing a link to a video of creating the calibration box and mapping it. It may help to review the steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THT7...ature=youtu.be
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Doug, you click on the Flip button, but have you first selected any polys to flip? None will flip unless selected. The exact same problem with applying the UVW - if you don't select any polys in Poly Select, none will show the mapping you want.

Regardless of bitmap size, the order is

1. Create the material in the Material Editor using your bitmap. Back out by clicking on Go to Parent* (the up arrow next to the blue-and-white chequered box button.)
    2. Now Apply the material to the box and it should turn grey.
    3. Apply a Poly Select modifier to the box and in poly sub-object click on the poly you want to texture. F2 will toggle the red shading to show which poly(s) are selected.
    4. Apply a UVW Mapping modifier to the box. The selected poly should show the texture (and the other polys will show a distorted version until they too have had Poly Select/UVW Mapping modifiers applied too. So if each face of the box is to show a different picture, there will be 6 Poly Select/UVW Mapping modifier pairs before you're done.

I haven't mentioned mapping size or orientation, since Milton goes into that in his own tutorials. Hope this helps.

* it's important to do this to avoid multi-materials being created when you don't want them
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 0