Bomber_12 / B25 Mitchell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bomber_12 / B25 Mitchell

Bomber_12 / B25 Mitchell

Are we too understand when completed this gorgeous rendering will be avaiable to the sim community ? Don't remember any prior discussion coming from your hanger ; )

Regards

Yes, that's the plan (and thank you for the very kind compliment!), though I don't know when or how it will be released, yet. I did have a thread on here about a year ago, introducing the project, but I requested to have it taken down as I couldn't keep consistent updates going. Although I started the project almost two years ago, I only have a solid 6 months of work on it. Working in public education I get my summers off, and that is when work really gets done. Other than that it's just bits and pieces when I can find the time. As a flight sim enthusiast, I also have never been able to just focus solely on developing without getting caught up in having fun enjoying the sim (which I know has hindered progress too).

The goal for my B-25J flight sim project has been to make it as accurate a visual depiction as possible. This has meant referencing the original B-25J parts manual, the original factory drawings and the original B-25J lofting data. Everything being modeled is accurate to 1/1000 of an inch to that of the real aircraft - every lofting ordinate of the real aircraft, and every drawing measurement used in the manufacture of parts for the real aircraft, matches to this model. With parts not manufactured by NAA, such as the Hamilton Standard propeller blades and hubs, Bendix top turret dome and the post-WWII Bendix-Stromberg carb intake scoops, I used profile photos and measurements I took from a local B-25 (Miss Mitchell) to model them as accurately as I could. The Bendix top turret and Bell tail turret inner assemblies are among the items I have currently been working on modeling, and they have their own separate manuals and drawings. Graphics-wise, every panel line is precisely accurate to the drawings and every rivet, screw, fastener, spot weld and rivnut has been added individually, matched to the original factory drawings (and cross-referenced with the real aircraft, since there have been some differences noted at times between what is shown in the drawings and the actual production results, and I'd rather it be even more accurate by matching the production results, not just the drawings). Plenty of work is still being done to the normal maps, and this coming week I hope to have the fabric control surfaces full of all of the rib and stitching detail they should have. As far as variations of the B-25J, as I've discussed before I plan to cover quite a lot (WWII, post-WWII military and civilian, restored warbirds, etc...), and a lot has already been accomplished in that regard. In addition to the exterior model/texture work that has been done thus-far, I have also been modeling parts for the interior, for quite some time now too, so that when my focus shifts entirely to the interior model a lot of ground work will have already been laid.

(Graphics-wise, there is a lot that is still a work in progress and liable to change at a moment's notice.)

Natural metal on this is beautiful! Finally, a spinning prop hub that looks right! If only PBR could look this good... right? Awsome work John!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Can't help myself here .I'm compelled to pile on the praise for fantastic work . Excellent and continue to take your time - its working. Thanks

WOW! Outstanding work. Can't wait for this one.......

Yeeees! Really nice! Dont remember about rain effect for P3Dv4 (free A2A sdk ).
    Fingers crossed for this year (and for FS2020 also!).

It looks awsome! Any VC pictures or not yet done?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Will there be a FSX version or just a P3D v4.4 (PRB) version? Or will it be released for FS2020? Just wondering..........

But the model look absolutely stunning!

Cheers,
    Huub

That is absolutely stunning.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Been saving this for the appropriate occasion.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    Can't help myself here .I'm compelled to pile on the praise for fantastic work . Excellent and continue to take your time - its working. Thanks
    Yeah, me too! Wonderful metal work. Best I’ve seen any where. To my taste, much nicer than the PBR effects I’ve seen. First glance requires a second more studied look to see if it is a photo of a RL Mitchell. Beautiful.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Agree on all sentiments expressed! Fantastic work on one of the most beautiful shapes produced by the aircraft industry!

John, are the pics we see in PBR? Looking at the canopy glass, it looks a lot like PBR material.

That just looks brilliant!
    If only I could afford to pay you to work fulltime on this...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

When I grow up, I want to make metal texturing that well.

Beautiful, just beautiful. Got me thinking though, what ever happened to your P-39 Airacobra. Has it been shelved?

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Thank you all for your very kind compliments! It's very reaffirming and very much appreciated!

The screenshots are all from FSX, so no PBR here. I think with the PBR craze, it's easy to forget just what can still be achieved with the old methods, taking full advantage of things like specular alphas, which are an incredibly important element. I have to say that I am however very inspired by the PBR bare metal work that Aeroplane Heaven has achieved with their new DC-3's, and I only wish to try and achieve similar results in my work.

Dimus, the glass textures/material is similar to the recipe I used on my Mustangs, but refined/tweaked a bit further. In the FSX material settings, I have the Source Blend set at SrcColor, and Destination Blend set at InvScrAlpha - this allows for the full specular effect (the default transparent settings are woefully lacking).

So-far, the aircraft has been in development for FSX and P3D, but I am one of the biggest "fan boys" there is for Microsoft's new Flight Simulator (FS2020), and if possible, I plan on bringing the aircraft into that sim (I still have to send my request in for the SDK, and hope for the best).

I don't feel like showing anything from the VC yet, as there is still so little to show, though I have made items like the longerons, brackets, the instrument panel and some other odds and ends.

Ted, thank you for noticing the spinning prop hubs! I still need to tweak what I have - all of the individual parts of the prop hub are accounted for in spinning-fashion, with the visibility of each part controlled by the alpha. I still need to add a specular texture and reflection to those spinning parts so that they maintain their metallic qualities.

With regard to spinning prop hubs, it's one of those things that I consider a "pet-peeve" of mine, though this is the first time I've ever tried tackling it myself. The depiction of the spinning hub should always match the look of the spinning prop blades, since they're all spinning at the same RPM. In reality, the camera shutter speed dictates how the prop blades and prop hub appear in photos/video. A slower shutter speed, the more complete prop and hub discs appear, and the faster the shutter speed the more the props and hubs look static - to the naked eye, it's all just a complete disc once the engine is making power. (It's also always been one of those quibbles when it comes to depicting WWI rotary engines spinning, since the depiction of the spinning engine should always match however the spinning prop blades are depicted, since they're spinning at the same rate as well.)

Taff, the P-39 has been temporarily shelved, but not canned. I could certainly have that aircraft just about finished if I had a good solid 4-5 months on it. The B-25 ended up taking precedence a couple years ago as I was asked to provide some renders of a few different B-25J's for a book (still in the works), and I was wanting to do a B-25 anyway.

I've got the whole week off next week (spring break), so I hope to get a lot more done on the Mitchell in that time. This August will be the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the NA-62/B-25.

I surely want those in my hanger John!
    Greenhouse357

I've been mainly just modeling parts lately, but I also finally got the detail of the control surfaces and trim tabs added this past week (seen here still on the base template model). All of the pinked strips and patches of fabric and tape are depicted/layered on based on the factory drawings, with all of the rib & structure, fastener and rivet details matching the drawings (each individual rib drawing had to be referenced for the proper counts and placements of the fabric fasteners, while the overall assembly drawings were referenced for the structural layout and rivet placements). Even the drainage holes are properly depicted on the lower surfaces as well. I'm looking forward to finally seeing it in the sim, very soon, with all the guns and turret details added and engines in!

"Very soon" , awesome news John !
    Credit card at the ready .....

very impressive!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    "Very soon" , awesome news John !
    Credit card at the ready .....
    .........very soon, with all the guns and turret details added and engines in!

I don't think John meant that the model will be available very soon....... Normally when the external model is finished it about 50% of the work done!

Cheers,
    Huub

I suppose your right !!
    Heck , I'd take it in it's present state were long overdue for a quality B25 !

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Yes, that's the plan (and thank you for the very kind compliment!), though I don't know when or how it will be released, yet. I did have a thread on here about a year ago, introducing the project, but I requested to have it taken down as I couldn't keep consistent updates going. Although I started the project almost two years ago, I only have a solid 6 months of work on it. Working in public education I get my summers off, and that is when work really gets done. Other than that it's just bits and pieces when I can find the time. As a flight sim enthusiast, I also have never been able to just focus solely on developing without getting caught up in having fun enjoying the sim (which I know has hindered progress too).The goal for my B-25J flight sim project has been to make it as accurate a visual depiction as possible. This has meant referencing the original B-25J parts manual, the original factory drawings and the original B-25J lofting data. Everything being modeled is accurate to 1/1000 of an inch to that of the real aircraft - every lofting ordinate of the real aircraft, and every drawing measurement used in the manufacture of parts for the real aircraft, matches to this model. With parts not manufactured by NAA, such as the Hamilton Standard propeller blades and hubs, Bendix top turret dome and the post-WWII Bendix-Stromberg carb intake scoops, I used profile photos and measurements I took from a local B-25 (Miss Mitchell) to model them as accurately as I could. The Bendix top turret and Bell tail turret inner assemblies are among the items I have currently been working on modeling, and they have their own separate manuals and drawings. Graphics-wise, every panel line is precisely accurate to the drawings and every rivet, screw, fastener, spot weld and rivnut has been added individually, matched to the original factory drawings (and cross-referenced with the real aircraft, since there have been some differences noted at times between what is shown in the drawings and the actual production results, and I'd rather it be even more accurate by matching the production results, not just the drawings). Plenty of work is still being done to the normal maps, and this coming week I hope to have the fabric control surfaces full of all of the rib and stitching detail they should have. As far as variations of the B-25J, as I've discussed before I plan to cover quite a lot (WWII, post-WWII military and civilian, restored warbirds, etc...), and a lot has already been accomplished in that regard. In addition to the exterior model/texture work that has been done thus-far, I have also been modeling parts for the interior, for quite some time now too, so that when my focus shifts entirely to the interior model a lot of ground work will have already been laid.(Graphics-wise, there is a lot that is still a work in progress and liable to change at a moment's notice.)
    woooowwwwww Jesus Christ! Almost a heart attack! Beautifulllll!!!!!!!

My CC is ready too! (For P3dv4.5).
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

This is going to be a masterpiece. No doubt.

Can't Wait.... The Mitchell is one of my All-Time Favorites. NAA at it's best!

Members who have read this thread: 0