A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - World War II

Description: Two more 'maybe' paints for Nigel's Avro Tutor, again based on historical events.

1) 173 Sqn, RAF, Heliopolis, Egypt 1942.

2) Royal Egyptian Air Force ; Heliopolis, Egypt 1942.

As I have alluded to in previous paints, four of the Greek HAF Avro Tutors escaped from Crete to Mersa Matruh in Egypt, (accompanied by a lone Fairey Swordfish to provide wayfinding) the references show that these four were later impressed into service as HK833, HK834, HK835 and HK853; under reference 2AX 9464 ..... (the HK serial number range being used for aircraft impressed in theatre, or diverted from original destination) and there unfortunately, the trail goes cold.

Searching for a likely home for these I have found 'B' flight of 173 Sqn, RAF, the Middle East Communications Squadron, based at Heliopolis, Cairo. B Flight of 173 Sqn, carried out short range communications tasks using a diverse range of aeroplanes, including Hawker Hart and Audax, Miles Magister, DH 60 Moth , Percival Proctor, and Gull to name a few; all still very operational in 1942/43... so a lone Tutor alongside the lone DH 60 Moth would be no strange thing. So here is HK853 painted in that style;

And also, let us also imagine after being impressed into RAF service HK833 was handed off to the Royal Egyptian Air Force, also at Heliopolis, retaining its' basic HAF (Greek) paint scheme. The REAF already operated their own Avro 626 Prefect models, as 'armed reconnaissance' patrols and most of the other operational REAF aeroplanes had been handed to them by the RAF, and retained their RAF serials , so this is not so unusual.

FS9 as I don't run 'X' ; sorry, but feel free to convert.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Avro Tutors, Egypt 1942.zip
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.