Windows 10 & FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 & FSX

Members +
    I got on board Windows 10 with the free updates first ony Windows 7 laptop, then on my Windows 8.1 laptop. Apart from updating a graphics issue, no issues at all, nothing lost.

Now, with my new laptop, it is being constantly updated, and.... I'm using Edge Chromium Canary, that's basically an alpha version that's updated daily.
    Never an issue with that at all.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    jafo, I am a Windows Insider and have been since Windows 8. I had the first Alpha version of that OS right through to the full release version. Then along came W10 Alpha 1 and I have been using W10 since then. Being an Insider I am subject to more updates as we get beta versions of a projected update. I may get an update once a week or maybe once a month but with each operating system update not once have I lost any settings or data.
    My only problem has been a ham fisted "technician" who I gave my computer to in order to find and fix a problem. He fixed the problem ok but in the process wiped a hard drive that had a partition with all my payware aircraft and scenery.
    So in a nutshell W10 is no problem to use.
    I suppose my unhappiness with 10 is the lack of a basic 'no frills' version Pat.
    Despite Priller making the point that one can remove 'Apps' (what a bloody silly term that is!) via the uninstall Windows Programs menu I've yet to figure out how to get rid of those causing me aggro.
    While P3D4.5, P3D3, FSX, X Plane 11 and five variations of FS9, as well as pCARS 1 and 2, Assetto Corsa and Assetto Corsa Competizione and a few other sims in 'trial mode' run without breaking a sweat, MS Paint (for example) is a PITA
    when I'm using (or at the present attempting to!) my Corel and Adobe graphic programs.
    I can understand why 10 looks and is loaded with mobile phone style crap, MS is attempting to force the OS into a cross platform look and feel, great for the Millennial mindset, but really stupid for users who really just need a working OS.
    End of rant.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I can understand why 10 looks and is loaded with mobile phone style crap, MS is attempting to force the OS into a cross platform look and feel, great for the Millennial mindset, but really stupid for users who really just need a working OS.
    End of rant.
    The simple reason for the existence of Win 8 was the MS attempt to push the Windows Phone.
    Hands up who has one?
    8.1 was a response to animosity by Joe User....and 10 was a serious rethink after heads had rolled at Redmond.
    Their kernel, particularly 10's - is a decent piece of kit, generally speaking...and a generational improvement over what came before... but the execution [adoption/introduction] was totally WRONG.
    Treating the user as an imbecile, coercing take-up by 'freebie' and then saying....live with the forced updates, suckers....what do you want for nothing?
    In any other industry/environment people wouldn't take the insult, but basically MS has a captive audience, when the only opposition [if you can rate it as such] has an even more reprehensible track record.

Life was so much more 'fun' with Litestep, getting totally away from explorer.exe just made you feel a little 'cleaner'...

I suppose it depends of one's needs.
    From my side, I use my computer for the following purposes:
    - work
    - video games
    - multimedia
    - surfing the web
    I suppose it's quite a limited scope compared to some of you guys, who have to use specific tools like image editors or 3D builders and I don't know what.

Anyways, in my case, Windows 10 is not behaving any different than any previous version. The only difference I really see, excepted the forced updates, is the different "Start" menu. That's pretty much the only thing that changed, compared to my previous Windows 7.
    No other differences at all.
    Everything that was working in Windows 7 still works in Windows 10.
    My old hardware (joystick, scanner and printer) still work.
    The control panel and all the other settings are still there.
    I don't see why I would complain, and at the moment I cannot find anything that would make me want to return to Windows 7...

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I suppose it depends of one's needs.
    The only difference I really see, excepted the forced updates, is the different "Start" menu. That's pretty much the only thing that changed, compared to my previous Windows 7.
    Using Stardock's 'Start10' and even that can be fixed...all warm and fuzzy with a Win 7 start menu....
    Years of graphic design for the Win GUI and I find the normal 10 interface flat and bland...unlike 7.
    Of course, XP was Fisher-Price....almost naive.
    Get creative and even Win3.11 could be turned into XP...or 7 ...with Calmira.

In the early days of skinning there were many shell alternatives....even MS learned a 'bit' from them...

Shells are what Joe User sees/works with...
    Of course then there's the pros who commandline the kernel into submission directly...

The original question was:
    'Presently running Windows 7 O/S with FSX Acce ( call me lazy/stubborn ) .... curious if I upgraded to Windows 10 how much tweaking is involved to run FSX and would I see any uptick in performance ?? As for Flightsim 2020 , I have dispatched an email to accounting (aka , the better half ) and a new computer system and monitor may be "considered" once the new sim has been released later this year.'

Quite comprehensively answered. My opinion of W10 v W7 is obviously in the minority (even with the 'Start 10' add on) so perhaps we should return to the original topic or simply regard it as asked and answered.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0