fsx steam vs fsx acceleration

Thread: fsx steam vs fsx acceleration

Lightbulb fsx steam vs fsx acceleration

Hi again guys!

Too much to (re)learn again....so I've decided to get the Acceleration Pack here in my town....I don't know if I'm correct, but acceleration pack has more improvements then fsx SP1 and SP2 - am I correct?

Soooo,what's the difference between steam and acceleration's version?

FSX-Acceleration is the version that Microsoft stopped developing a decade or so ago.

Then Dovetail Games was given the license from Microsoft to further develop it and distribute it on the Steam platform.

Dovetail basically made it more stable through a few updates while the boxed Acceleration version has sat dormant for, as I said, about a decade.

I use the Steam version. I also don't have to worry about CD's going bad or being lost because it can be reinstalled on any system I use via Stam and I don't need an activation key.

With the announcement of FS2020 Microsoft took back the license from Dovetail Games but FSX-Steam Edition is still available on Steam.

Good summary.
    FSX Steam is indeed FSX Acceleration without DVDs, and with additional fixes

I recommend buying the Steam version. The Steam version brought some improvements in stability and RAM usage to FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    FSX-Acceleration is the version that Microsoft stopped developing a decade or so ago.

Then Dovetail Games was given the license from Microsoft to further develop it and distribute it on the Steam platform.

Dovetail basically made it more stable through a few updates while the boxed Acceleration version has sat dormant for, as I said, about a decade.

I use the Steam version. I also don't have to worry about CD's going bad or being lost because it can be reinstalled on any system I use via Stam and I don't need an activation key.

With the announcement of FS2020 Microsoft took back the license from Dovetail Games but FSX-Steam Edition is still available on Steam.
    Hmmmm....I see.... but Steam plataform is always on line? You can't simulate oof-line???

Thanks for you enlightment and to the others too!!!! Decade away....woowwww

foo_fighter

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I recommend buying the Steam version. The Steam version brought some improvements in stability and RAM usage to FSX.

Ok, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Good summary.
    FSX Steam is indeed FSX Acceleration without DVDs, and with additional fixes

Good to know this too!

Icon5

By the way!

This steam version may be installed over my acceleration pack???

Takin' a good look now at on line store.

It installs in a completely different folder, so it isn't exactly installing over it, but rather next to it.

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    It installs in a completely different folder, so it isn't exactly installing over it, but rather next to it.

Priller

Geeezzz, why in the world they can't be simple? LOL.....

Thanks again!

Uninstall FSXA and install after FSX/STEAM seems to me the better choice! I did that and I am very happy (lol)!

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by luciano mesquita View Post
    Geeezzz, why in the world they can't be simple? LOL.....

Thanks again!
    But it IS actually rather simple! Install FSX:SE and then copy over your airplanes, gauges and effects folders. Every addon aircraft you have will appear in the new install. (except for certain payware addons that will demand a new installation because of the security that they have)

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    Uninstall FSXA and install after FSX/STEAM seems to me the better choice! I did that and I am very happy (lol)!

JMC

All my planes inside fsx acceleration will work inside steam???

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    But it IS actually rather simple! Install FSX:SE and then copy over your airplanes, gauges and effects folders. Every addon aircraft you have will appear in the new install. (except for certain payware addons that will demand a new installation because of the security that they have)

Priller

understood!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luciano mesquita View Post
    All my planes inside fsx acceleration will work inside steam???
    Yes. If it works in FSXA, it works in FSX:SE, as a rule of thumb.

Also, no it doesn't have to be on-line all the time. Once you have everything installed and running to your satisfaction, you can select to run off-line. You just won't get any updates Steam may put out, and won't get things like automatic backups and so on. Having said that, you can put it online once a month, let's say, and get any goodies they put out, then select off-line again.
    Same if you have problems, and want Steam to verify the sim's files, which is a really handy set up to have available.

Just a note: The standard wisdom, to NOT install into C:\Program Files, is still applicable. Especially with Win 10. It can make editing things, adding to the sim, etc, a lot more difficult, or downright impossible.

I've had FSX:SE since the day it first came out, and I really like it.
    Good luck!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0