Orbx Pago Harbour Water Launchpoint

Thread: Orbx Pago Harbour Water Launchpoint

Orbx Pago Harbour Water Launchpoint

I have Orbx's Pago Pago scenery and have noticed there is absolutely no water 'launch point' for watercraft, floatplanes etc. over near NSTU.

Currently I select the watercraft, pick NSTU runway as launchpoint, then 'slew' over to the Pago Harbour nearby to start the trip (not the most user-friendly way).

I have come across a .bgl file (AFX_L21.bgl specifically) in Bob's HMS Bounty AI traffic file download here : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ffic-Files-zip which supplies a very handy startpoint at Two Harbours for either starting a trip, or following the AI Bounty in a watercraft (without slewing over from Catalina KAVX airport). This file just installs to Addon Scenery folder in FSX (copy & paste).

Has anyone come across any such file for Pago Harbour in Orbx's American Samoa ? or, can anyone who is familiar with scenery development possibly make one ?

I would be forever grateful for this as it would be a great time saver for anyone using this beautiful scenery pack.

Cheers,
    MZ.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Got you covered, MZ. Check your email.

Joe

MZee1960 - If what jmbili is not what you wanted I would be happy to make one up for you as well. I do a lot of flying boat simulation flying so have built up a world wide collection of water runways ports etc etc. I think I ignored Pago Pago as it is American Samoa and there was not much in the way of flying boat ops to and from there but nevermind. Happy to help of jmbili does not work out. If you want some more all over the planet I included the scenery package (for FSX) in the rebuild of the Shorts S23 which is in the library.

Thank-you, both @BendyFlyer and @jmbiii.

I just found the file @jmbiii (Joe) sent over, tried it out and it works very well for my purposes of launching boats and floatplanes near NSTU and Pago Harbour.

I will definitely keep you guys in mind should I need any further help re water launchpoints.

Cheers,
    Milan ...
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Hi BendyFlyer,

Hope you don't mind my jumping in here.

I don't have a need for anything in/around Pago Pago, but for years I've been frustrated that there are no seaports in Great Britain. I thought for certain that Orbx would add some with their full regions, but no (unless I'm missing something). Difficult to do anything with the many UK-registered floatplane addons out there (like Nigel's Avro series, the GAS DH60 Moth, Dave G's amazing DH89, etc.).

Do you have any seaplane bases set up for Great Britain you would be willing to share? Just locations with starting points would be all that's needed - no scenery elements required. Having that would avoid the need to start at a nearby landbase and then slew over to the water.

Many thanks in advance, if you do. Of course, no worries if not.

Regards,
    Michael

I just googled for "Seaplane Aerodromes" in England. There aren't many. Five or six listed plus a list of old RAF seadromes now closed.
    It reads like the main worry is safety because of the many recreational boaters there are on the waters.

If anyone wants one at a specific place I'm sure Bendy and I could oblige. As for the boaters, dial back the recreationals to 2 or 3%.

Thanks jmbiii. I hadn't even considered that might be the case - just thought they'd been left out for some reason.

Michael

NSTU from the water .....

Thank-you.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Quote Originally Posted by mthrift View Post
    Hi BendyFlyer,

Hope you don't mind my jumping in here.

I don't have a need for anything in/around Pago Pago, but for years I've been frustrated that there are no seaports in Great Britain. I thought for certain that Orbx would add some with their full regions, but no (unless I'm missing something). Difficult to do anything with the many UK-registered floatplane addons out there (like Nigel's Avro series, the GAS DH60 Moth, Dave G's amazing DH89, etc.).

Do you have any seaplane bases set up for Great Britain you would be willing to share? Just locations with starting points would be all that's needed - no scenery elements required. Having that would avoid the need to start at a nearby landbase and then slew over to the water.

Many thanks in advance, if you do. Of course, no worries if not.

Regards,
    Michael
    Sure let me dig about and see what I can do for you. Off the top of my head I have the main former RAF bases covered (Calshot, Oban,etc) Foynes, Southhampton etc and a few others but I know I pulled together some other spots as well. The ones I have done will all just go in as addonscenery and turn up in the country as an airport beginning with FB I use ADE to create them. Give me a few days and I will pull together a package for you. Scenery elements well they are included but if you do not have the scenery files it does not matter as all that will happen is the buildings will not show up on your sim. I need to go back through my lists which also includes water runways etc.

MZee - fascinating paint job on the Grumman very Samoan.

mthrift -I checked my flying boat ports and bases list. Two points on the UK as far as I am aware. first I have a master list of all water ports-runways in FSX, there were none originally done as part of the default scenery. I am unfamiliar with any light aircraft or similar amphibian or flying boat activity in any meaningful sense so I guess I am only aware of the main places that flying boats were used in the UK. Basically any river or reasonable estuary would do but commercially there was ever two Southampton Docks and Poole Harbour. The RAF had a few, Poole Harbour RAF Mountbatten, Calshot, Oban in Scotland and Castle Archdale and Foynes in Ireland. There was also the Shorts Factory on the River Medway at Rochester. There was a major factory at Belfast again only heavy flying boats there either. Flying boats were regularly visitors to the Thames up to the Tower Bridge. This is all I have done. There was a ports package for the UK but not specifically for flying boats or float equipped that I am aware. If these are ok fine I will zip them up for you. (All are already part of the S23 Package I uploaded here last year, I included all the relevant FSX Flying boat scenery files in a separate directory to go into FSX as addon scenery (these all go into the FSX scenery lists and begin with FB and then the place usual drop down scenery menu].

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    MZee - fascinating paint job on the Grumman very Samoan.
    Thank-you, @BendyFlyer.

We are fortunate to have many beauties here in SOH library done by @jankees and @trucker17 for this specific HD Redux bird, but I am quickly finding out that many other great paints have disappeared with OZx site.
    Cheers, MZee ...

BendyFlyer,

You have reminded and reeducated me!

I have your S23 package - downloaded and installed in December. The S23 is a favorite of mine, and your updates have really improved what was already a nice package. I've really enjoyed the aircraft and am planning to install the celestial navigation devices in to try my hand with that. That said, I got so carried away with flying that I forgot about the other included goodies. I'll go back and take a look at the scenery files.

Thanks again for the reminder (and your work on the S23 package). I'll report back with some screen shots.

All the best,
    Michael

One way to do a water starting point in FSX is to start a flight at a nearby airport and slew over to the desired water start point with your watercraft (boat, amphibian etc.), go to your preferred view in sim, and then from the dropdown list select 'save flight' and give it a name.

Only problem is, ... it works with FSX 'plain'. I have REX Essentials running with FSX. If you run an addon like REX weather engine etc. then it causes a sim CTD once you try to call up the saved flight.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Members who have read this thread: 1