Buildings Shadows?

Thread: Buildings Shadows?

Buildings Shadows?

Old dog here, needs a bone tossed. I've done a search on the subject, with no tango.

I have two scenerys I'm working on, one an airfield (Bassingbourne station 121), and Keroman u-boat base.

For both, I've made many building, structures, and what I call a seawall layout, for Keroman. Both projects include hangars, or bunkers, that are open. Problem is, inside the 'buildings', there's no shadows. So, I'm missing something...any ideas what?
    One other shadows thing, is on my seawall, that sits partly over water. Getting a couple shady spots on the water, where it shouldn't be. All could have the same problem.

Just getting back into gmax, and re-learning it. Guessing my problem is in gmax materials/textures??

Shaders expect stationary objects to have their textures inside the "buildings" sub-folder. Otherwise their shadows are rendered only up to a couple hundred meters away, like for aircrafts or other moving vehicles.

If you can't add your textures into that folder it is also possible to list their names under [Scenery] section in the TextureMagic.ini file.

There's also an issue which may cause long flat walls to have curved and detached shadows. This happens if a wall is made of triangles with a side longer than a couple of meters. You may need to divide such walls into smaller polygons (they can still be flat of course).

I.e. instead of this:
    Code:
    ---------
    |       |
    ---------

your walls should be more like this:

Code:
    ---------
    | | | | |
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by AnKor View Post
    Shaders expect stationary objects to have their textures inside the "buildings" sub-folder. Otherwise their shadows are rendered only up to a couple hundred meters away, like for aircrafts or other moving vehicles.

If you can't add your textures into that folder it is also possible to list their names under [Scenery] section in the TextureMagic.ini file.
    Thanks, AnKor! I'll look into it. All the buildings I made, have the .MDL, and textures inside their folder, in the buildings sub-folder.

Shadows (outside) are good on most. Interior shadows seem my main problem. I plan to check the 'transparency' of both the model, and the material/texture.

Suppose you understand, this is nothing involving your Shaders. Not even sure my rig will handle it, since my rig is real low end.

Appreciate the comments!

I 'think' I found my problem.

In the model, I failed to put in the 'bldg_normal' node.

Members who have read this thread: 1