A couple of ?'s re sounds.xml and vehicle/guns range.

Thread: A couple of ?'s re sounds.xml and vehicle/guns range.

Hybrid View

A couple of ?'s re sounds.xml and vehicle/guns range.

I need to be able to hear a sound facility from at least an altitude of 20k'. So far i can hear it from around 10K plus a bit.

There are 2 issue here.

1, the sounds xml does sometime seem to have min and Max distances, and I've set one for Maxdistance="30000". However I think then the 2nd issue comes in to play.

2. The sound is in fact a gun as in a flak or AA gun, so is there a CFS3 upper limit to the range of a gun which would effect a sound masquerading as a gun (as searchlights do)?

An aside.
    Although I got the sound facility to work with it's associated sounds.xml entry, I sort of cheated by just replacing an already existing entry with my own substitution. What I need to know if certain lines refer to my sounds or apply to something else all together.

So looking at the entry lines

<gun MinDistance="25" Looping="Yes" No3D="Yes" Relative="Yes" Class="Gun" Stereo="No">
    <knickebein_left INTERNALONLY="NO" looping="no" atten="7" >
    <sound file="knickebein_left.wav" MinDistance="900" Maxdistance="30000" INTERNALONLY="NO" looping="no" atten="7" />
    </knickebein_left>
    <default>
    <sound file="x50gun_01.wav"/>
    <no_damage>
    <sound file="x50gun_01.wav" FileInt="50gun_01.wav" Stereo="Yes"/>
    </no_damage>
    </default>

are the lines
    <gun MinDistance="25" Looping="Yes" No3D="Yes" Relative="Yes" Class="Gun" Stereo="No">

.................................................. .................................................. ............................

<default>
    <sound file="x50gun_01.wav"/>
    <no_damage>
    <sound file="x50gun_01.wav" FileInt="50gun_01.wav" Stereo="Yes"/>
    </no_damage>
    </default>

in any way relevant to

<knickebein_left INTERNALONLY="NO" looping="no" atten="7" >
    <sound file="knickebein_left.wav" MinDistance="900" Maxdistance="30000" INTERNALONLY="NO" looping="no" atten="7" />
    </knickebein_left>

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Looking back to a thread on searchlights http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...+altitude+flak makes me think I should treat 'sound' guns the same way as 'light' guns.
    Also; does one have to have a vehicle to make a fun work, and if one does, its it also necessary to have a m3d file and xdp entry?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Looking back to a thread on searchlights http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...+altitude+flak makes me think I should treat 'sound' guns the same way as 'light' guns.
    Also; does one have to have a vehicle to make a fun work, and if one does, its it also necessary to have a m3d file and xdp entry?
    Based on a quick read of your post, I would comment that the gun entry parameters in the sounds.xml are default parameters for ALL guns listed in that section, and where you want different parameters or to change the default parameters you list them with your specific gun, which it looks like you have done.

On the vehicles question, you very much need a vehicle so you can tweak the relevant parameters in the gunstations section of the xdp file. Just take a standard flak gun like the 88 and rename the xdp and m3d, not forgetting to edit the xdp with the new name of the m3d file.

One thing which might be important is the characteristic of the .wav file. I have a suspicion that if the wav file is recorded in stereo, than it only works with stereo="yes" but I could be completely wrong on that one!

Thanks David for your answers to various questions.

Members who have read this thread: 0