Gauge question

Thread: Gauge question

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Gauge question

Ok, here is one for you real knowledgeable folks. We have a three dial engine gauge Oil pressure and temp and fuel pressure. But I have a gauge that has four dials, I assume that 3 of the 4 are the ones I mentioned, but what could the forth dial be? I have a picture but the resolution is poor so I can make out the dials but not the text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gauge.bmp  

Icon5

Ted,
    What's it from , the Havoc II? The pic looks like it's from a page from the pilots notes?, and those white horizontal lines surely must be to gauge descriptions on the pic edge?

I've looked at Havoc II cockpit, and it doesn't seem to be from that....so...

Possibly it's a fuel flow gauge, so along with fuel pressure and oil temp and oil pressure?

Shessi

Manifold Pressure perhaps?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

gauges question

Hallo,
    if we could know from which plane is the picture, perhaps via a manual we can find out what are these gauges
    Yours
    Papi

Possibly a Vacuum gauge?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Need to know which aircraft it's from, and where it is located in the cockpit will also help.

The picture seems to be cropped from the British "Pilot's Notes for the Havoc II Aeroplane", items No. 18 and 19.

I have gone through some other manuals, even the ones in the Air Corps library, but this particular gauges set seems to be very specific; I haven't encountered it anywhere else. They probably aren't cylinder head temp gauges because item No.22 in the manual mentioned above are the "Engine Temperature Indicators".

I did find a photo of a different A-20 instrument panel with dual engine gauges and that one also had a "Carburettor Air Temperature" gauge. Could it be that?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Icon9 It is from

Havoc II, the PN manual. I have looked all over the place and as it has been said must be a one of for this model only. I think it could be either fuel flow or car temp, lean toward fuel flow; but all guesses unfortunately. Have some time before she'll be out there so maybe something will pop up.

Frosty - could you ask over at the Air Corps library?

Ted

I had a look at the Havoc II notes (exact match), but ran into the same problem as Ted. The only thing I can suggest for now is tick off all the usual gauges against the list in the Pilot's Notes and see what's not covered by other gauges, eg engine temperature gauges are below the 4-gauge clusters on the panel so can't be them.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

From some of what I've read today the aircraft built for the French orders required a unique set of instruments from what Douglas typically offered. For those that were later delivered to the British they eventually went to depot and had their panels rebuilt to a custom configuration that better complied with Commonwealth standards.

From having worked with FMS for France on the C-130J program this sort of thing is still going on. It causes unique challenges in the production supply chain, and details of the specific changes from standard production do not get any distribution outside the foreign customer's delivery document package that ships with each aircraft.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

According the Havoc II Pilot's Notes, the two groups of four gauges are the port and starboard engine gauge units.

A read through the pilot's notes provides some more specific info.

Lower right hand gauge - air intake thermometers (carb heat) ref. Section 1, para 25.

Top right hand gauge - fuel pressure gauges ref. Section 1, para 31.

A "Telegon Instrument System" is mentioned in Section 1, para 37 which includes boost gauges, fuel pressure gauges, air intake temperature gauges, oil pressure gauges, and oil temperature gauges, as well as the flap and undercarriage indicators. All of these are run electrically, and turned on by a single switch. Since the two groups of four gauges are described as a "gauge unit" and the two gauges known to be part of the units are also listed as part of the Telegon Instrument System, it is almost certain that the other two gauges in each unit are the oil temperature and oil pressure gauges. The other gauges listed as part of the Telegon Instrument System are shown in the diagrams in other places. At a guess I'd say that the top left gauge is oil pressure and the bottom left gauge is oil temperature, but I can't tell for sure.

Perhaps looking up Telegon Instrument System might yield some more usable pictures.

Thought

The link to the Russian site lists a series of gauges. The plane there has four gauges oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel pressure, and engine air mixture temperature. So give what we have discussed, I believe that these four are the ones in the four gauge cluster.

Members who have read this thread: 0