Tim Conrads OV-1C Mohawk

Thread: Tim Conrads OV-1C Mohawk

Tim Conrads OV-1C Mohawk

I asked this question many years ago and never got an answer that fixed the problem. . .and it is a problem. Actually I'm surprised that Tim released it this way. I downloaded his OV-1C Mohawk today (his upload, not a version from someone else) from the Warbirds Library and applied the VC and exterior updates I had done for it a long time ago. Once in the Sim and cranked up, with brakes off it was able to reach takeoff speed with throttle at idle and props feathered. Upon landing unless you immediately applied the parking brake (normal braking wasn't enough), extended the speed brakes and held your breath it would usually continue right off the end of the runway into the back forty.

I have never seen anything posted over the years, even since it was released, that gave a fix which means one of three things: People just accepted that this was the way it would have to be. . .A fix was provided but never documented in the forums and has been lost. . . .no one knew how to fix it and everyone who downloaded it simply uninstalled and moved on. So, anyone who is still flying this beauty and does not have this problem, has somehow fixed said problem and I'd like to know how. Thank you in advance.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

My understanding is that setting up TP's in FS is difficult. It can be done, but as you noted, I've never seen a fix for the Mohawk in that regard.

Ed,

I just installed Tim's OV-1 to check it out (it's funny...I don't know how I completely missed this plane all these years...) I found an all-inclusive package from Tim over on Simviation.

The OV-1D seems to be fine. I haven't tried the -1B, but the -1C definitely has some issues. I tried my usual FSX turboprop solution, and it helped some, but didn't completely fix the problem. For most turboprops, I first unmap the mixture/condition levers from my throttle quadrant to prevent stray inputs. I then press CTRL-SHFT-F1 to make certain I'm at idle cutoff mixture, then press CTRL-SHFT-F3 one time to set approximately 1% mixture, and leave it there for the duration of the flight. I've found FSX turboprops behave better like that (smoother power changes on the ground, less sensitivity to throttle movements on the ground, no Road Runner-like taxi speeds). It works well for two of my favorites, the CS C-130 and Manfred and team's Basler.

In flight with the throttles at idle, the -1C's torque won't go below about 30%, making slowing down and landing very difficult. Again, the -1D doesn't have that problem. Any progress on your end?

Edit: I fiddled some more. It seems like the throttles on the B and C models have a huge unresponsive range below about 60% in flight. The throttles themselves are moving, but with no response from the engines, which means the engines and props are never reaching idle. With the throttles at idle, I'm still getting about 30% torque and am unable to slow below about 125 knots in level flight. Strange...and I have no idea how to fix that
    Last edited by nagpaw; February 6th, 2020 at 21:46. Reason: Added last sentences.
    America never stopped being great.

If the D works OK I would try swapping out the airfile and then copy and paste the engine sections from the D into the C model commenting out the current C engine sections. That should cure whatever the problems are with the C model.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    If the D works OK I would try swapping out the airfile and then copy and paste the engine sections from the D into the C model commenting out the current C engine sections. That should cure whatever the problems are with the C model.
    My thought exactly after I read that part. I compared the acft.cfg files line for line and the only difference was the number for the "propeller_moi" the original number for the "C" model was 36.1, while the "D" model was 78.98570, I made that change.

I started to check the air files as well, but line by line got dizzying so I just copied that and placed it in the C Model folder.

Results:
    Aircraft is rock steady with brakes off at normal idle. Taxiing was uneventful, however steering during take off roll was wonky. Once airborne all was fine however there was decrease in airspeed in level flight of about 60kts vs the original numbers for the C Model. All in all, a much better setup.

Additional Info: Landing was markedly different with a touch down speed of about 110kts I was able to make the first turn off.
    The original setup for the "C" model showed no reaction to Prop RPM when adjusting the prop pitch. . .now it does
    Last edited by falcon409; February 7th, 2020 at 05:22. Reason: More Info

Current System Specs:

Sounds good. I have tweaked the FDE for the D model. I will try to upload them here if I can figure it out. Some of the tweaks are as follows: fixed the lateral wobble of the landing gear, increased spoiler response, tried to adjust and straighten take-off roll, and a bunch of other things. So for anyone who likes to test things I would be happy to hear comments.

*Nevermind, too much of a hassle to go through to upload a couple of files. So, if anyone would like to try mine out PM me with your email and I'll send them over.

Prop MOI mostly controls how quickly the props stop spinning after shut down.

I’m quite interested in the outcome of this investigation, especially since my part time office for 5 years was the right seat in the OV-1. A few years back several folks tried to assist me with these very same issues with hardly any success.

I will definitely be trying out these tweaks, and mal998 I’ll be sending you my email. Thanks all for revisiting these issues for this bird.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Tim Conrads OV-1C Mohawk

Hallo friends,

just downloaded from flightsim.com the ov1b_mhk.zip
    at start up , the parking brake set, there are no bad surprise when I start the engines.
    than taxying with no problem.
    landing with autopilot is bit ticky but even if the engine reacts very sensitiv on the throttle - I think it is "eatable"
    If I have the time I will put my nose on this bird
    Yours
    Papi

Tim Conrads OV-1C Mohawk

Hallo friends,
    perhaps it might help the experts; I have found the Grumman OV-1 Mohawk Operators Manual.pdf _ DocDroid.htm
    In fact a very interesting aircraft.
    Merrits to make more about it - for FS2004.
    If some one can provide me good cockpit photos I will see what I can do from my side
    Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I asked this question many years ago and never got an answer that fixed the problem. . .and it is a problem. Actually I'm surprised that Tim released it this way. I downloaded his OV-1C Mohawk today (his upload, not a version from someone else) from the Warbirds Library and applied the VC and exterior updates I had done for it a long time ago. Once in the Sim and cranked up, with brakes off it was able to reach takeoff speed with throttle at idle and props feathered. Upon landing unless you immediately applied the parking brake (normal braking wasn't enough), extended the speed brakes and held your breath it would usually continue right off the end of the runway into the back forty.

I have never seen anything posted over the years, even since it was released, that gave a fix which means one of three things: People just accepted that this was the way it would have to be. . .A fix was provided but never documented in the forums and has been lost. . . .no one knew how to fix it and everyone who downloaded it simply uninstalled and moved on. So, anyone who is still flying this beauty and does not have this problem, has somehow fixed said problem and I'd like to know how. Thank you in advance.
    Greetings Ed. Thank you for bringing Tim's Mohawk back in focus. Pulled her out of the hangar, dusted her off, tweaking and making refinements, and enjoying her like never before. I'm no FDE expert but what I've gotten done today has made quite a bit of improvement. Still a wip needing more tweaks but just wanted to share what I have so far. By the way thank you for doing that high res repaint of the Cavanaugh 5889 Mohawk. Downloaded and installed a couple days ago and it is absolutely awesome. Thanks again Ed.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymrr2y...k_FDE.zip/file
    Last edited by bob407; February 9th, 2020 at 03:26.

Tried to get my MediaFire updated fde file tied to my previous post link above but could not do it. So here is the new link to the update. Updated the aircraft cfg for improved roll control.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/corp9d...k_FDE.zip/file
    Last edited by bob407; February 10th, 2020 at 07:39.

Bob, as I reported above, I have modified the FDE with what I think are reasonable results. If you are interested in flight testing them I would be happy to send you a set. If so PM me with your email address.

mal

Quote Originally Posted by bob407 View Post
    Tried to get my MediaFire updated fde file tied to my previous post link above but could not do it. So here is the new link to the update. Updated the aircraft cfg for improved roll control.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/corp9d...k_FDE.zip/file
    Bob, sorry I'm late to the party here. Mal has done a spot on job of correcting what ailed the Mohawk.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Bob, sorry I'm late to the party here. Mal has done a spot on job of correcting what ailed the Mohawk.
    Ed, I somehow misread Mal's previous fde post. I requested a copy. Looking forward to flight testing. Thank you sir.

Blog Entries
    A bit off-topic, but MAIW just released an AI OV-1 pack for FSX/P3D, converted from FS9.

Does anyone know whether the Mohawk was ever converted to native FSX?

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Does anyone know whether the Mohawk was ever converted to native FSX?

Priller
    The one I'm flying is a Native FSX. Let me check here and on flightsim dot com and see is it's available. . .should be.

Current System Specs:

Current System Specs:

Thanks Ed!!!

Priller

I was using Tim's Mohawk to test my Tchepone, Laos scenery with FSX@War and FSCAI (in P3Dv4) a few months ago. It was working very well.... until I got hosed down by some AAA.
    A very nice airplane. I managed to save a screenshot before I crashed.

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Members who have read this thread: 1