Good list of payware warbirds
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good list of payware warbirds

Good list of payware warbirds

Hi guys, recently found a new love for all sorts of high performance warbirds from the day. Are people able to help put a list together of the great payware birds still available? I've got most of the A2A/Shockwave warbirds and the Virtavia HE-111

I just recently purchased the Warbirdsim P-51B/C Mustang

https://www.pcaviator.com/store/prod...1&cat=0&page=1

I love it - looks nice, flies nice, great sound, frame-rate friendly, lots of repaints.

FSX repaints are compatible with the FS2004 version.
    Most of them need resizing to 1024x1024 pixels and changing format from DDS to BMP which is a little bit of work but well worth it.

Lots of Virtavia stuff is currently on sale at PCAviator.

I also got the MIG-21UM from Captain Sim last December.
    A very old model (18 years) but nice VC. Actually the best Mig-21 VC in FS2004 that I know.

They also still sell the Yak-3 but it cannot be installed anymore since it needs a connection to a server that is not available anymore.
    Promptly got my money back after a few explicit comments from my side.
    Hartwig
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Thanks mate. I’ll look into that one for sure

yeah gotta pretty much all virtavia/alphasim on offer.

I was looking at that CS Yak, good to know to avoid. A shame really, looks wonderful

Bought some A2A planes, my god theyre fun to fly, especially with the realism settings to hard and following the actual procedures

I purchased a copy of the CS Yak-3 from Flight1 back in 2011 (having purchased it from CS a few years earlier) to avoid their over zealous/complicated anti-piracy measures. The Flight1 version used their wrapper DRM system so avoids the CS system all together :-) Unfortunately, Flight1 no longer sell the CS Yak-3 (I just checked) so glad I got it when I did.

Have your tried Flight Replicas aircraft? Their Bf-109s and Me-262 are really good. The Israeli version of the 109 - The S.199 - is real brute.

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

I fully agree with hawk_sh and rgatkinson! The Warbridsim P51 B/C and all FS9 Flight Replica models should definitely be on the list of best payware model.

The models from the WWII fighters set from A2A/Shockwave are among my favourites. And the A2A Heinkel He229 is definitely one of my favourites. Although the model by Kazunori Ito is quite nice as well. (Not so sophisticated however).

Perhaps not really a hot warbird, but for me the Aeroplane Heaven Tiger Moth set is quite dear to me. And the Aeroplane Heaven P38 is very nice (one of the best virtual cockpits!)

But most of my most precious models are actually freeware!

Cheers,
    Huub

I have the FR Me 262

What about the just flight mosquito for fs2004?

You can only find the package on cd used but Shockwave Productions Heavy Boomers and Jets

Also Shockwave WW2 Fighters on CD also

Shockwave was A2A prior to the name change.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Yeah got the bombers and jets package a few years ago, b-29 is easily my favourite to fly

What are peeoples opinion on the best Spitfire? I know the realair one gets a lot of praise but it cant be purchased anymore and I've got the A2A Mk1 which is brilliant in my opinion. I've been looking at these two others as well..

https://secure.simmarket.com/plane-d...spitfire.phtml

and this

https://www.justflight.com/product/spitfire-download

Im also looking at the Just Flight Mosquito plus the addon packs. Can anyone confirm how good the models?

When I still had FS9 I had the Mosquito and the addon packs. They were brilliant, although at the time a bit heavy on the frames for my then very modest system! Shouldn't be a problem with current hardware!

Priller

Glad to know! Just tried the demo available, seems promising. Sadly the paints aren’t extremely detailed, makes the model look average

It’s a shame the cwdt products aren’t available anymore

Quote Originally Posted by anels9 View Post
    What are peeoples opinion on the best Spitfire? I know the realair one gets a lot of praise but it cant be purchased anymore and I've got the A2A Mk1 which is brilliant in my opinion. I've been looking at these two others as well...................
    I have the complete range of Spitfires by Just Flight/Aeroplane Heaven. And considering their age the models are still quite good. They have a nice VC, but like the Mosquito the external textures lack details. Also the model is a bit glossy, which makes sharp looking textures difficult as you will always have the filter of the gloss (I hope this makes some sense............).

But after my re-install of FS9 on my new PC they were still among the first to re-install. Mainly for the prototype and the early Spitfires (Two bladed propellers). For the other models I still have installed (Mk.V and Mk.IX) I removed the original textures and use alternative textures.

Cheers,
    Huub

The Just Flight / Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire Mk. IX, with one of my early repaints.

Good to know. I emailed CWDT, im hoping im able to get a copy of the P-51 and Hellcat. I wish I made the purchase when it was available a couple of years ago

Good to know. I emailed CWDT, im hoping im able to get a copy of the P-51 and Hellcat. I wish I made the purchase when it was available a couple of years ago
    The model designer from CWDT, Andrew C. Wai (AcWai) is a member here and frequently visiting the CFS2 forums.

Cheers,
    Huub

The Plane Design Spitfire XVI is a really nice subject and quite unique.
    I agree with Huub re the AH/JF Spitfire collection, my very first commercial purchase some 16 years ago and still a favorite, along with their Hurricane set.
    Custom repaints for most versions.
    Sky Unlimited had a decent MK.V Spitfire as well and their P38 is another old favorite.
    Not a fan of the CWDT P51 but their F6F is quite decent.

Plane Design Spitfire XVI

Sky Unlimited Allison engined P51, the one and only of a much overlooked type. Better than their Merlin Mustangs.

Sky Unlimited Spitfire Mk.V, covered most variations of the Mk.V and I rather liked it.

And another of the
    Plane Design Spitfire XVI......just to finish off!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I have the CWDT Mustang and I'm afraid I'd advise to give it a miss - the propeller boss and nose contours are just not right IMHO. Don't have the CWDT Hellcat so can't comment on that.

As for the Mustang I'd stick with Warbirdsim and A2A both of which are exceptional in their own ways.

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Thanks wombat for those screens. So you could recommend the AH/JF spitfire collection along with the sky unlimited stang and spit?

Thanks wombat for those screens. So you could recommend the AH/JF spitfire collection along with the sky unlimited stang and spit?
    I'll qualify my reasoning behind these selections.
    Firstly I like these aircraft, secondly the only reason I have the SU Mustangs is the Allison powered versions and, finally, the AH/JF Spitfires are an almost complete collection.
    The PD Spitfire XVI is the pick of this bunch, and the SU Spitfire V is a decent collection of that particular Mark.
    It really comes down to what you want, a collection or a specific aircraft, bearing in mind these are relatively 'old' FS2004 subjects.
    Plus they appeal to me.
    None are 'A2A' standard as far as tuning flight detail (not that I need it) but they just appeal to me.
    As for later Mustangs, Warbirdsim do the best and cover everything from the P51B through to the 'Might have been' USN version.
    It does come down to personal taste.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I appreciate your reasoning

What im after is really a collection of the best thats still available while it still is. A lot of stuff isnt available anymore due to developers moving far beyond fs2004, even if their older fs2004 could still sell it just gets removed from vendors website

I've already got a decent list of payware warbirds at the moment. gone a bit crazy this week. ive already purchased the -

A2A FW-190 Butcher bird and long nose,
    A2A bombers and jets pack,
    A2A WWII fighters special edition,
    Flight Replicas ME-262
    Sky Unlimited HO-229
    Plane Design Spitfire MK XVI

over the next few weeks ive got my eyes set on these..

Flight Replicas entire BF/ME-109 collection
    JF Mosquito and addons
    JF/AH Spitfire collection
    Wardbirdsim P-51 (not sure of really any other payware P-51s apart from A2A?)
    SU Spitfire VB and Hurricane

And if get an email back, a couple of the CWDT models.

And the next few addons im not sure. I know A2As WWII fighters collection already comes with the P-51D,P-47D and BF-109E but do the seperate addons by A2A come with more?
    And over at just flight, im not sure if the spitfires in these 3 packages are all from the same developer or different? Maybe some can shed some light on these 2 addon problems for me?

https://www.justflight.com/product/w...-wwii-download
    https://www.justflight.com/product/spitfire-download
    https://www.justflight.com/product/s...e-and-tempest-

Next to the single model Mustang and Thunderbolt included in the WWII fighters package A2A also has packages which contain different models and liveries :

https://a2asimulations.com/product/w...7-thunderbolt/

https://a2asimulations.com/product/w...power-p-51d-h/

These were already on the market before the WWII CD was released. One single model from both these packages were included in the WWII fighters package. I have the complete P-47 package installed as it contains some nice bubble-top versions.

When A2A/Shockwave originally released their P-51, The Alphasim was their main-competitor at the market. The quality of both models was originally quite similar, until A2A decided to upgrade their model and released the 1.2 version. This allowed them to use much more detailed textures (Originally all external textures were on one 1024x1024 texture, while after the upgrade the A2A model had the external textures covered over four separate 1024x1024 textures.)
    In my opinion the even better than excellent paintkit by John "Bomber_12th" Terrell did the rest. It became too easy to create highly detailed textures. And talented repainters like Jan Kees Blom really pumped out repaints in a pace North American had never been able to build Mustangs in.......

But the main difference could be found in the VC. The Alphasim had a VC according to the accepted standards at that time, while the A2A version had a VC which would set the standard for the next years........
    (However I personally still believe the Alphasim model has a better external model and the perfect pilot.....)

The Alphasim Mustang was made available as freeware by Alphasim and can still be found at the freeware pages on Virtavia site.

Below the Alphasim P51 D with a repaint by Bob Reiter, aka: Greenhouse357 (Huub is short for Hubert....)

And the same livery now made by Jan Kees Blom, based on John "Bomber_12th"Terrell's perfect paintkt, at the A2A/Shockwave P51 D (version 1.2).

The difference in resolution is clearly seen in the image from Hubert. (Both model can be flown with or without external tanks.)

I'm pretty sure these packages are exactly the same.

Cheers,
    Huub

Okay so the stand alone packages do include more than whats in the WWII fighters pack.

Yeah i already got the alphasim stang. Liked the look of the A2A one, but you've given me a second opion and might have to take another look

Members who have read this thread: 1