Frames: Flight Replicas' Cub & Grasshopper, Real Flight's Hellcat.

Thread: Frames: Flight Replicas' Cub & Grasshopper, Real Flight's Hellcat.

Frames: Flight Replicas' Cub & Grasshopper, Real Flight's Hellcat.

I have a couple of aircraft on my wish list, including Aerosoft's Catalina (I'm beta member of the project, by the way), RealFlight's Hellcat (wasn't sure or I'd buy it because of the problems Cody had on the forums with the support), and the Pipers made by Michael.

Now I have one question, how's performance with the Hellcat in FSX ?

And the same one about the Pipers (J-3 and L-4). I have read a remark about it over at the FSPilotshop regarding the last one's performance for what it is:

" This is a very good little package. Some might find it a bit hard on the framerates for what it is, and what you see is essentially what you get so don't expect any real easter eggs or custom coding for systems, etc. Regardless, the product screams of quality, has an impressive little VC and has a ton of models and repaints to boot. The issues above really don't concern me, as I expected this going into purchase. Flight Replicas again creates what I feel to be a very outstanding product which most WWII, Vietnam or Korea enthusiasts will likely love.

To note, there are a couple of L-4s down the road at a museum where I live. I found no inconsistencies in the model or pilot's reports whatsoever.
    "

http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_r...eviews_id=2811

Now I'd like to know what Cody (he wrote the 'review' at the FSPilotshop) means with 'a bit hard'...A serious decrease in frames ? Or just a slight one ? Perhaps Michael can tell a bit about it...

All three look magnificent, however !
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!
    Aeropedia.be photographer
    Flightlevel.be photographer, editor and forum administrator
    So drink to the Black Cat PBY,
    Damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
    BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft,
    Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

Well .... I have a machine thats a bit grumpy about some paints. It's a P4 3.2 ghz with 2 gigs ram and a AGP 7600 gs vid card. I need another updated machine but thats what I got for now.
    The original textures for both the L4 and the Cub are in 32 bit alpha and are quiet large. I reduced the textures to DXT5, DDS and get good frames. I have it set at 15 and can expect it to run at 14.5 to 15.0 in Alaska. When you do this the folder size goes from 112 gigs for the 32 bit to 37.4 gigs with DXT5, dds. I don't loose too much detail in the process.
    So ... there is hope.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Well .... I have a machine thats a bit grumpy about some paints. It's a P4 3.2 ghz with 2 megs ram and a AGP 7600 gs vid card. I need another updated machine but thats what I got for now.
    The original textures for both the L4 and the Cub are in 32 bit alpha and are quiet large. I reduced the textures to DXT5, DDS and get good frames. I have it set at 15 and can expect it to run at 14.5 to 15.0 in Alaska. When you do this the folder size goes from 112 gigs for the 32 bit to 37.4 gigs with DXT5, dds. I don't loose too much detail in the process.
    So ... there is hope.

Real Flight F6F-Run straight to RealFlight and buy it!

You can see my specs and I have my FPS locked at 30. The posted pics were running around 24-28

After the 2.0 patch the overheating problem was fixed-They had just made it too relaistic- now you can fly BTTW without any problems . Or you can add the realisim and have to fiddle with the engine cooling flaps or the oil cooler-your choice now

I highly recommend this warbird! They also provide excellent cutomer service!!!!

Their upcoming release is the Bearcat and we are waiting for some shots

My next purchase from RealFLight....
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

I do not doubt all three are top-notch work, but I'd like to hear more about it. The customer service of RF seemed to be excellent at the start, but when I read the words of Chuck Jodry in this topic...hmm :argue:. Don't want to offend anyone, but that's not what I call friendly customer support...

How do you reduce 32-bit textures to DXT5 ? Isn't the latter FSX's standard file format for such textures ?

My current specifications are a Pentium D, 3.40 gHz, 2 GB RAM, and a nVidia 7600GS (768 MB, 512 MB dedicated memory)...the Twotter and Real Air's Spitfire run at 30 FPS with some tweaking and average settings...

Thanks for the advice anyway, chaps. Much appreciated!

Anyone else who'd like to share their opinions, thoughts, suggestions, etc on these three add-ons ?
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

On Another Planet
    If you can run the Spit and Twotter at those settings then I would think that the Hellcat would be about even with them. It runs on my system the same as any othe rplane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

I talked to Michael about problem with the textures and got some help from him. I have nothing but praise for Michael and his work even tho my machine will not run it right. With the changes I made in the textures I can. Here is a screen shot of MY Cub in Alaska. Remember ...... this is a working airplane.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

And what about updates or patches for the Flight Replicas products ? Does Michael have a website or anything for this kind of things ? Or would I have to use the Flight1 forums for that particular purpose ?

@ Chuck; that's exactly the same link I linked to in my initial post...hmm. Don't like the way RF (and, more specifically, you) treated Cody. Ce n'est pas gentil, mh ? Hope the same thing does not happen to me when I should have any problems with it...

Perhaps Michael himself can explain a bit more why the L-4 could be a bit harder on the frames compared to, say the default J-3 Cub ? The former is a nearly direct derivative of the latter...

My Flickr photostream.

The Cub has less Poliys than the L4. If you want the planes, get them. Michael will treet you right, I think.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

gajit
    I have an odd issue with the Hellcat as with self shadow on i get poor frame rates - down to 10 - yet no problems with that on any other aircraft other than the Aerosoft F-16. They dont seem to have an answer as to how to fix it.

Yes - the cub does run smoother than the L4 but my framerates are still smooth and both are now an essential part of my fleet!!

SOH-CM-2024
    I have no problem with either the L-4 or the J-3 on frames, smooth as silk. Can't reply on the hell-kitty, don't have that one yet.

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by JorisVandenBerghe View Post
    And what about updates or patches for the Flight Replicas products ? Does Michael have a website or anything for this kind of things ? Or would I have to use the Flight1 forums for that particular purpose ?

Perhaps Michael himself can explain a bit more why the L-4 could be a bit harder on the frames compared to, say the default J-3 Cub ? The former is a nearly direct derivative of the latter...

Hi there. Products are always updated if necessary, and have been whenever required. When problems are isolated and probably machine oriented, I try to work out a fix that applies to those users and post it on the forums.

I don't have a website as I can't see the need for one, all info is available on the sales sites.

Product support is preferable done directly through me at the support address, as I don't mind taking the time, and I also answer all questions in forums (and thanks to those who alert me, as there are a lot of forums out there!). My aim has always been to treat customers as I'd like to be treated. A happy customer is the best reward, because I don't think any developer is getting rich doing this. It's also my hobby, too.

My J-3 gets better framerates than the L-4 because there is less exposed structure. It took a lot of polys to make the birdcage in the L-4. And as each project is a learning experience as well, things learned are incorporated into the next model - the J-3 benefits from this as well. As to the default J-3 Cub, I think you should look at the difference in detail, shape, paintability, etc., between that and my J-3.

I hope this answers some of your questions,

Mike
    (Flight Replicas)

Ah...thanks, Michael! I don't say you'd treat people unfriendly, but there are others out there...
    Thanks for the replies, chaps. Especially Michael, since he's most into these things...
    Will get all three ASAP...(read: as soon as I can convince mum to let me use her Visa card ;-)...since it's not possible to pay through Maestro, unfortunately).

My Flickr photostream.

I feel I have a little explaining to do here.

First, the L-4 is an excellent package. I do not have the Cub package, so I cannot speak about it. I think I overstated the slight drop in FPS from the L-4 package. Michael and company is a great group of developers. I cannot say enough praise for these guys. Their customer support is good as well. The FPS drop I mentioned was very small, and possibly only based on my particular computer. I would recommend the package.

Regarding the F6F, well, in the purposes of diplomacy I won't say too much. I would like to mention I like the product and always have. I have learned the lesson that I will no longer be getting support from companies using a "JaggyroadFilms" username or otherwise. I think this freaks some people out, and I can understandably see people taking offense to my questions and/or comments. I can be a happier customer and I won't raise any alarms that way.

As a side note, I think some people in this industry forget that many of us are still customers. Unfortunately, many people have taken advantage of other's good will and used it to strategically place themselves in a better position business wise. The fact is I work for a WHOLE BUNCH of companies, and sadly I deal with conflicts of interest all too often. That's the nature of being sub contracted and something I am still trying to wrap my head around. At the end of the day though, I am just an avid flight simmer like the rest of you. Nobody in this industry of Flight Simulator would be doing this work, which is DAMN HARD and offers little pay, unless they loved it.

I can only speak for the Hellcat, but if you can run the RealAir Spit at a smooth 30fps you should be OK with the F6F. I find I get pretty much the same frames and smoothness with both - I lock at 30 and it doesn't waver much. The latest download from RealFlight is fully patched so there's no confusion over versions. Their customer service is just great if you do get into any difficulty, and a bunch of very helpful people post on their forums with things like airfile mods if you want to go there. Best thing I bought in '08.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their replies, notes,...

And now I'm wondering about some things in the J-3 (not that I'm not going to buy it, just some questions). I see on the screenshots at the FSPilotshop that the J-3 in it's float variant has water rudders. Where is the switch, knob,...for those water rudders located in the cockpit ? And I wonder where one should look for the level of fuel left in the tanks...I don't see a fuel indicator or anything. I know the Cub is pretty simple in construction and instruments, to say the least, but I hope there's a fuel indicator in there...:help:

Cheers

Joris

P.S.: where does the cyul in Mike's user name stands for ? Is it a reference to your location (an ICAO code), Mike ? Or an abbreviation of your real name ? CYUL seems to be the ICAO airport code for Montréal Intl...

My Flickr photostream.

Charter Member 2011
    i think in the cub the fuel level is indicated by a stick in front of the pilots window which moves up when the tanks full and down when the tanks empty, but dont hold me on that
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

So that's the purpose of that thing...I thought it was some kind of antenna, LOL. Thanks!

My Flickr photostream.

Members who have read this thread: 0