Major headaches ahead.

Thread: Major headaches ahead.

Major headaches ahead.

My C: hard drive (2 Tb Intel optane) bit the dust today. I opened up my tower to check my memory cards, and somehow the data cable snapped off right at the base of the drive. I tried to get it back together but no joy. Going to get a new drive (SSD) tomorrow, and reinstall Windows 10. Fortunately I already have the Windows 10 USB on hand from a previous computer. Biggest hassle is going to be recovering the data on the old drive. Fortunately there is a Data Doctors located a mile away, so once I get up and running it will go there. 95 percent of the data is already backed up on an external drive, but there are some recent items that haven't been backed up.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Since my main computer (Alienware Aurora R7) is out of business until I can get a new drive installed and the data from the old drive transferred, I have taken my old Dell XPS 8300 out of mothballs. I tried to run FSX:SE but the old box can't take the strain. Shuts down and cranks the fans up to full until I physically turn off the power. Not sure if its the power supply or what.
    So...back to FS 2004! Haven't fired up A Century Of Flight in several years, but it's running great with everything cranked up. Nice to be back in the virtual skies again after a few days without.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Back to FS9, that's dedication to the hobby. I'm so addicted that I have 2 computers at all times, taking no chances.
    LOL
    sue

I even reinstalled the original Air Hauler so I could have some sense of purpose. I've been using AH2 every day and was going through withdrawals. Waiting for payday to get the R7 back in action.

I know how you must be feeling!
    Just completed a complete new build (delayed by certain 'parts' distributors) and withdrawal is the right word.
    Still going through the pain of reinstalling everything.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

A quick update. I've been able to boot up the hard drive on my main rig after a bit of repair work. The plastic piece where the SATA cable plugs into the drive broke off but fortunately the metal pins survived. I was able to cannibalize an old hard drive to get a new piece of plastic (that L shaped bit) and plug in the SATA cable. I have a new 1TB SSD that I am currently in the process of cloning my C: drive onto. Once that is done I can remove the damaged hard drive and get back to flying the virtual skies. My old backup computer just doesn't have the power and speed that I've grown used to with the Alienware. Huge sigh of relief. An extra bonus...I received an Amazon gift card that covered the cost of the new SSD so I'm only out around $11.00.

Members who have read this thread: 1