News round-up Jan 30/2020

Thread: News round-up Jan 30/2020

Members +
    Blog Entries

News round-up Jan 30/2020

EU 'parlement' has received dispensation from the polit bureaux to approve BREXIT. As of 11:30 GMT, Jan 31 2020, the United Kingdom is a sovereign(?) nation once again.

Today, one month in, coronavirus infection rate and fatalities have exceeded the total SARS infection/fatality rate. Road, rail and sea links from Hong Kong (and Maccau?) have been suspended, rail and road links to russia are closed, and many international carriers have, or are poised to suspend flights to and from the PRC.
    PRC officials have been described as 'difficult', complicating evacuation of foreign nationals stranded in the PRC, and deepening the crisis in general.

Reports continue to circulate that PRC nationals employed at an Ottawa infectious diseases lab smuggled live samples of Ebola, SARS, and other pathogens back to the PLAN's bio-warfare laboratory in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak. Reports are also circulating that genotyping of coronavirus suggests that this may be related to viral strains 'removed' from the canadian lab. This suggests coronavirus is possibly engineered, and not an unfortunate side effect of bad bat soup.
    Other reports have indicated that coronvirus may be spreading through ocular mucous tissues. No word if it has gone airborne, or if this is a contact spread scenario.
    Mutiple RCMP and 'intelligence' service investigations are underway at this lab, and a number of PRC nationals EMPLOYED BY THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT(!!) at the lab have been fired and deported.

Australian conservation officials have surprisingly found that an endangered species of red Slug have survived being burnt-over in one of the worst wild-fire seasons on record.

Synopsis aggregated from the Ceeb, the Beeb, RT, API, Reuters.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Countries that have Level-4 containment facilities for very serious viruses - natural or man-made - like coronavirus, ebola, warburg, or the like keep them in these supposedly most-secure lockdowns because they conduct research on them to determine if it is possible to develop a vaccine to counteract them. If you have a sample immediately to hand to work on it beats sending out a field research team to gather samples, interview victims (if alive) and host-nation medical personnel all the time. It also means you do not have to establish a lab on-site to conduct research, you can bring it home to study at leisure. The only prudent means of transporting these samples obtained from the field would seem to be military or government aircraft, which makes one wonder what the flight crew and the ground maintenance staffs have to think of this - it must entail a WHOPPING scrub-down of the entire airplane, inside and out, to make sure no gift was left behind that keeps on giving. Not to mention the various levels of inspection anyone handling the materials or the aircraft must endure before it's declared safe to go home to wife and the kids.

Of course, the effectiveness of the labs in question depends in turn on how effective your environmental containment procedures are if there is a spill - and whether you can, apparently, trust the folks from other nations who may be sharing your facility with you. Lots of unanswered questions with this one.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    I really question this business of having PRC nationals, who are often card-carting PLAN, working-at tax payer expense- in sensitive, if not national security faculties. Given the PLAN's mission statement, viz: killing us; and the generally lackadaisical attitude toward consequences that is the PRC norm, why? Why on earth?
    "Here, Mr. Wang. Hold on to this doomsday virus for me, eh?" Canada is really getting to be a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    EU 'parlement' has received dispensation from the polit bureaux to approve BREXIT. As of 11:30 GMT, Jan 31 2020, the United Kingdom is a sovereign(?) nation once again.............
    All countries within the EU always remained sovereign nations The member states develop European standards and directives, which are implemented in national legislation. There is much we can say about the European Uniion, Brexit, etc., but I think we all agreed to leave politics, drugs and sex out of these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    ....................... The only prudent means of transporting these samples obtained from the field would seem to be military or government aircraft, which makes one wonder what the flight crew and the ground maintenance staffs have to think of this - it must entail a WHOPPING scrub-down of the entire airplane, inside and out, to make sure no gift was left behind that keeps on giving. Not to mention the various levels of inspection anyone handling the materials or the aircraft must endure before it's declared safe to go home to wife and the kids.

Of course, the effectiveness of the labs in question depends in turn on how effective your environmental containment procedures are if there is a spill - and whether you can, apparently, trust the folks from other nations who may be sharing your facility with you. Lots of unanswered questions with this one.
    In practice it work a bit different. The bio-hazard samples are double, triple or even within more layers packed inside a sterilised container. Therefore nobody outside the labs comes in contact with the virus. Mainly based on quality plans some additional wipe-tests might be required. These samples are just taken to be able to deliver proof. Safety measures around the transport of bio-hazardous materials are all focused on avoiding the spreading of these materials and not at checked or cleaning up afterwards.....

In most countries, when you want to run a bio-hazard lab you need to be able you can fully control the hazards in nominal use and contain the risks during an anomaly. Therefore you need to have procedural and technical safety measures in place which make it impossible to release bio-hazardous materials. As there are also loads of measures to ensure there is no cross-contamination of samples, hazards are quite well controlled inside a bio-hazard lab.

Cheers,
    Huub

China, being the Worlds fastest and largest growing economy, allied to the biggest trading partners to a multitude of Western nations, can more or less do whatever they want.
    For example, the Australian University System would collapse if it were not for the number of Chinese students enrolled and paying hefty fees.
    Ergo, 'Chinese Money' keeps not only the Tertiary Education boat afloat, it also feed the Tourism Industry as well as the bulk of our Mining and Agriculture operations.

The Coronavirus infection rate and fatalities are high and might be on par with SARS, but everybody seems to have forgotten the (so called) 'Spanish Flu' epidemic that decimated populations on a Global scale between 1917 and 1920,
    IIRC that 'Flu' killed off more people than the entire 1914-1918 conflict

Equally, Aids continues to wreak havoc in sub Saharan Africa, while Ebola remains a ticking bomb through East Africa.

)"Other reports have indicated that
    Coronavirus may be spreading through ocular mucous tissues. No word if it has gone airborne, or if this is a contact spread scenario."(

It now appears that the is airborne (Sneezing and coughing) and can be surface transmitted as in coming into contact where either of the aforementioned acts have taken place.

'Madame Wombat' is medical professional and an active member of MSF, who keep their people well informed, just in case.
    Last time it was 'Just in Case' we spent some 'interesting' time in Yemen, so I'm really hoping this one is contained.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I remember reading that statement by the Chinese doctor who is reputed to be an expert on these things and admitted a lapse in his own precautions re: this disease. He stated he did not wear eye protection while in a hot zone for this virus, although he did wear a mask. He speculated he acquired this thing through ocular contact with it, and it was absorbed through his eyes as your state. Now, I'd forgotten quite a bit about what training I'd received a long time ago about transmission of some of these things. Some old Soviet nerve agents did not have to be ingested through the lungs in order to be fatal but merely required a microdroplet's contact on skin to be effective, which made them airborne agents from hell. IIRC one of their saving graces was that exposure to bright sunlight, rain, or use in very cold weather severely degraded their usefulness and they would lose their lethality fairly quickly. No word on how long this one is lethal for when it is outside of its host. Might be good to know.

Huub, thank you for that additional info re: wrapping plus, again, some stuff I'd forgotten. Yeah, they're supposed to have quadruple layers of protection, etc inside the labs and no doubt they do. Hopefully they have a way of keeping that thing air-tight in the event it gets loose inside one of those study labs.

I remember when NMUSAF got one of their C-123s for display in their collection - it was "Patches," the oldest Agent Orange-spraying C-123 in existence. Even before it left where it was kept, on its last flight to the museum, it was generating controversy. Quite a few of the staff were treating it like it was hoodooed; the story I saw said it had to be gone over w/a fine tooth comb (again) and the farthest nooks and crannies of the aircraft swabbed and checked before a crew got aboard to bring it to WPAFB. And that was for an airborne and contact exposure carcinogen, without the virulence of coronavirus.

It's amazing what's transported by commercial airliner nowadays. I suppose most folks forget it's quite possible they're sharing the ride with an occupied coffin in the baggage compartment.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    It's the news Huub. The exact text of the report was 'EU commissioners have directed the EUP to approve BREXIT'.
    draw your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Reports continue to circulate that PRC nationals employed at an Ottawa infectious diseases lab smuggled live samples of Ebola, SARS, and other pathogens back to the PLAN's bio-warfare laboratory in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak. Reports are also circulating that genotyping of coronavirus suggests that this may be related to viral strains 'removed' from the canadian lab. This suggests coronavirus is possibly engineered, and not an unfortunate side effect of bad bat soup.
    Other reports have indicated that coronvirus may be spreading through ocular mucous tissues. No word if it has gone airborne, or if this is a contact spread scenario.
    Mutiple RCMP and 'intelligence' service investigations are underway at this lab, and a number of PRC nationals EMPLOYED BY THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT(!!) at the lab have been fired and deported.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/co...y-from-canada/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...racy-1.5442376

I'm still trying to get a handle on this. There have been 170 deaths so far reported in China. The population of China is 1.4 billion. In any normal year , how many would die of flu in the same period ? Many thousands, I imagine.
    Not trying to be a denier, but over the years the media have predicted doom and disaster on many occasions. We were going to be wiped out by AIDS, e-bola, CJD, and a myriad other plagues. It hasn't really happened.

Just more Fake News Lefty and something not to be promoted here!
    Farcebook and Twatter should be removed from Planet Earth.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0