USS Ranger and USS Wasp, need help with size data

Thread: USS Ranger and USS Wasp, need help with size data

USS Ranger and USS Wasp, need help with size data

Hi people, I do not understand some size.

1 USS independence Beam: (33.3 m) over flight deck and projections 190 m
    2 USS Wasp Allen model Beam: (33 m) (overall) Length: 225.93 m
    3 USS Yorktown cfs2 stock model Beam: (33.4 m) (o/a) Length: 251.4 m
    4 USS Wasp VN model Beam: (33 m) (overall) Length: 225.93 m
    5 USS Ranger VN model Beam: (33.4 m) (overall) Length: 234.4 m)
    6 USS Langley VN model Beam: 19.9 m
    7 Japan Hiryu Beam: 22.3 m Length:227.4 m

Beam of wikipedia English.
    Stock cfs2 models are ok in size.

A)I search pictures and images about USS ranger and I think that the Beam of 33.4m of wikipedia is false.
    Any can help give me serius data about the size of USS ranger?.
    If I am correct in my opinion about smaller size in beam the VN model would not be so bad in size and I can add to my ship pack

look this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ranger.jpg   Aircraft carrier Sizes.png   731102cc6cbd7f4a0d9dc8581f1e99ed.jpg   91YbzmvDDUL._SX466_.jpg   uss-ranger-cv-4-56a61b7a5f9b58b7d0dff2d8.jpg  

B) the Uss Wasp of Allen I think that it look bigger compared to the stock Yorktown look the size in the thread.
    What you prefer the allen model or the VN model wasp?.I can repaint the VN model with texture of stock yorktown but the allen model is better.Hiryu Length:227.4 m and Wasp; 225.93 m, the allen model is over the Hiryu

c) USS Ranger VN model has similar Beam of Langley and Japan Hiryu.
    It is thinner than what wikipedia says. From there it seems out of scale,
    but as I said before I am in doubt about the real images I saw
    seems thinner than the beam 33m of Yorktown

I think I have finished my proposals, I await opinions and debate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ranger Yorktown.jpg   uss ranger.jpg  

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Maxstuka,

My handy-dandy Jane's Fighting Ships of WWII has Ranger's waterline beam at

80 feet (24.4 m)

From what I see elsewhere her overall beam was

109.5 feet (33.4 m)

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

When I did the Wasp I think all I had was a drawing of the sides and top and used the overall length and width. Data was from Wiki but is taken from a official U.S. Navy web site. https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...wasp-viii.html So the Wasp size should be right.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I think the allen is best, but need a repaint for harmonize with the fleet.
    USS ranger is thin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ranger.png   wasp rrrrr.jpg  

Real overall size of the CFS2 Yorktown class model is 250.01m by 34.45m Makes Length shorter than the real world by a 1.03 meters and wider by 1.05 meters.

1 Meter is 3.28084 feet for those of us that use "Freedom units"

EDIT

The VN USS Range model size is Length 235.53m by width 31.763m at the smoke stacks. Now the smoke stacks moved and the overall size doesn't say what position smoke stacks are in for this size. I would take a look at this pic http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020403.jpg and do some guess work for deck width.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Real overall size of the CFS2 Yorktown class model is 250.01m by 34.45m Makes Length shorter than the real world by a 1.03 meters and wider by 1.05 meters.

1 Meter is 3.28084 feet for those of us that use "Freedom units"

EDIT

The VN USS Range model size is Length 235.53m by width 31.763m at the smoke stacks. Now the smoke stacks moved and the overall size doesn't say what position smoke stacks are in for this size. I would take a look at this pic http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020403.jpg and do some guess work for deck width.
    could you rework the VN model by stretching or compressing it if necessary
    to give it a better shape and we can use this ship.If any resize the model I can repaint the deck texture
    to look equal to VN Independence that I customize in my ship pack, they can be a fleet for pacific ocean misions.

VN give me permision to reworks they models for the maxstuka improvement ship pack proyect.

Using what I think are F3Fs on the deck it looks like the landable deck surface should be 79.42 feet/ 24.20m but the VN model is at 76.44 feet/ 23.3m

Attachment 73665

Using what I think are F3Fs on the deck it looks like the landable deck surface should be 79.42 feet/ 24.20m but the VN model is at 76.44 feet/ 23.3m

The Vn Ranger has a noise deck smaller and is seems elongated.This picture that you put is the begin deck is smaller that the total total width. there is a huge long space between the air defenses before the control tower and the chimneys.The VN model need a rework.it is a pity

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ranger_jan43_2.jpg  

I overlaid the top view from this US Navy camo page. https://www.shipcamouflage.com/Desig...33_1A_CV-4.jpg Every thing about the VN model looks out of whack a little.

uss casablanca is more fat than the vn ranger and it need to be equal, look the images, casablanca is the brown deck ship

I overlaid the top view from this US Navy camo page. https://www.shipcamouflage.com/Desig...33_1A_CV-4.jpg Every thing about the VN model looks out of whack a little.
    Camo is not all important, the model size is the question.I think this navy diagrame is for 1942 model because it has a antiaereal pot in the nose.

It's an interesting topic. I'm no ship expert but I think the AA configuration of US carriers was upgraded in 42 / 43 to add more guns so that configuration might depend on the year the model depicts. Note the difference between the plan in the first post and the photo in post number 10. BTW the camo pattern plan Allen refers to is dated 1944, if that makes any difference.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Captain Kurt is right. In 42/43 they replaced the 0.50 cals with 20 mm Oerlikons and the 1.1 inch "Chicago Pianos" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1.1%22/75_caliber_gun ) with the 40 mm Bofors. These made a big difference in the ships' AA firepower.

Oh, and please don't forget the Wasp.
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; January 28th, 2020 at 15:27.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Don'r forget the breaking parts.

TheBookie

I have Friedman's "U.S. Aircraft Carriers", a comprehensive work documented through research of Bureau of Ships record archives. It is published by the Naval Institute, quite expensive. I had talked to Mr Friedman on a couple of occasions during my Navy career .

Here is what it shows:

RANGER (CV-4):
    Flight Deck - 709 x 86 ft
    length overall - 769 ft
    length at waterline - 730 ft
    beam at waterline - 80 ft

WASP (CV-7)
    Flight Deck - 741.37 x 111.83 ft
    length overall - 720 ft
    length at waterline - 690 ft
    beam at waterline - 80.58 ft

These are from construction drawings, so later use would have some minor adjustments. Ranger had those gun sponsons at each end of the hull below the Flight Deck, which skews the overall length comparisons.

I did some digging around and found a model of the USS Ranger from World of War Ships. While unusable in CFS2 it made a good reference to build around and the model could be used to make texture so that is what I did.

I got most of the main LOD done. The tri count got out of hand at 17,589 but I hope I can get that under control with LODs. I used the stock Hiryu info to get a deck, cables and FX working since the Hiryu is close to the size of the Ranger. Hope the DP hitboxes can be changed to work as well. For guns I have no idea yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ranger A.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	73760
    Attachment 73761
    Attachment 73762

I did some digging around and found a model of the USS Ranger from World of War Ships. While unusable in CFS2 it made a good reference to build around and the model could be used to make texture so that is what I did.

I got most of the main LOD done. The tri count got out of hand at 17,589 but I hope I can get that under control with LODs. I used the stock Hiryu info to get a deck, cables and FX working since the Hiryu is close to the size of the Ranger. Hope the DP hitboxes can be changed to work as well. For guns I have no idea yet.

Thanks Allen!, It would be an excellent contribution, I have been using ships, and it is important to have light ships not with many details and polygons as stocks models ships, because really after battles you can tell the difference between a light model and another that makes us lock the game,Now that I have a collection of breakable planes and the ships packs, I can do great battles but cfs2 have limitations, I don't know much about, but I don't think the current technology of microprocessors and their multiple cores can be use in a 100%, a game of 2000 like this maybe uses only the old MMX technology.

The stock ships Yorktown and HIRYU are exelent,decent ships without so many heavy details, giving us more fps.The hood battle cruiser that rework stuart is exelent but heavy, I see a VN first version of Hood that have the same structure but with basic details, I have it like a little proyect, I am goint to repaint this model and add to the Maxstuka Ship pack to Hood II,It give us much liberty to create big battles.

I wish you luck with the USS Ranger.

Members who have read this thread: 0