engine problem in clouds.

Thread: engine problem in clouds.

engine problem in clouds.

L.S.
    I have this weird engine problem whenever i get into thick clouds.
    manifold press drops , rpm drops and i kinda is like the engine is idling.
    whatever i try , it just doesn't give any power anymore .
    When i clear all weather , everything is ok again.
    I am using AS btw . Anybody know what i am doing wrong ?

You are not doing anything wrong. It's winter, and it's really cold up there. When you enter the clouds, ice is forming on your carburetor and propellers. you can turn on "carb heat" by pressing the "H" on your keyboard. This will solve your problem.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Some models plus Real weather simulated icing and engine problems (even in wet condition, especially in clouds or gliding).
    Check your carburetor heat, check your cowling flaps ect. Its normal engine behavior.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Thanks for the reply , guys .
    what makes me puzzled is the fact that i was flying the Mooney m20r Ovation (Carenado).
    It doesnt have a carbheat knob wich made me think it has fuel injection.
    Would pressing H still do the trick ?

Yes, as Carenado aren't particularly adept at modeling proper engine behavior. Beautiful models and adequate systems, but not a full-on A2A style systems depth. Pressing H is your only option if there isn't a knob modeled since even fuel injected engines can get icing on the air intakes.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Ok , Thanks.
    At least i know what to do next time .

In the real world you would avoid the clouds, especially in cooler weather.
    Engine, propellor and airframe icing are a real threat.
    Even in clear air when the temperature and dew point are the same or close together carb icing can happen.
    If you don’t quickly apply carb heat or descend to warmer air the engine may quit altogether.
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

Members who have read this thread: 0