FH2 Banshee ab effect

Thread: FH2 Banshee ab effect

FH2 Banshee ab effect

Was their a visible burner effect for the FSX version of the Banshee?

From the rear spot view, I only see the engine burners when the engines spool up then it's lights out.....

From the video I've seen, it doesn't look like any flame was visible externally.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Was their a visible burner effect for the FSX version of the Banshee?

From the rear spot view, I only see the engine burners when the engines spool up then it's lights out.....
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

No burners on the Banshee. First USN jet to have them was I believe the F9F-6.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

My FSX modifications and Effects emailed to you, Butch!

Not an AB effect...no flame out the ass-end, just glowing cans at near full power!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banshee burner.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	73517
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    I guess I should of asked about a burner can glow not so much a torch or flame jutting out the rear of the engine like the F-16.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Thanks Charlie looking forward to the effects.

J34 Engine runup

Found interesting Video of a J34 engine run and close up of the burners. So it looks like the model depicts pretty close to what the real J34 looks like spooling up
    and running max smoke.

Not an AB effect...no flame out the ass-end, just glowing cans at near full power!

I like that!

Don't know if the real deal ever looked like that but it is cool looking.

It was working for me in P3D V3.4 but after I closed P3d and then came back to resume flight - no burner can glow...
    The strange thing about it is that it did work that one time. Weird.
    Last edited by gray eagle; January 18th, 2020 at 16:17.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    Vought F6U pirate. First naval aircraft with AB, and composite construction- a bonded aluminium-balsa core skinning called 'metalite'.
    I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, re: fire shooting out the back. Having spent some thousands of hours making old clangers (Magisters, Buckeyes, T-birds, Vampires ect) go, I can say that about the only time one can see fire up the pipe is on start-up.
    I can still recall an airshow at Namao, when I was a kid. A reserve Vampire squadron - I am that frikkin old! - would spot the aircraft on the spectator line - anywhere you cared to stand, in those days - with an erk waving a steak on a stick behind the tailpipe as the Goblin was lit off, flash-broiling the steak, though the kerosene marinade was probably somewhat unpalatable. The other variation was wad of burning newspaper, making as to 'light the fire'. Ah, jet noise!

I like that!

Don't know if the real deal ever looked like that but it is cool looking.---

Flew the T-2A (single engine "Buckeye") in basic jet training at NAS Meridian. The A model used the J-34 like the Banshee. Smoked like hell, and yes the tailpipe tunnel and turbine / burner glow was very visible from behind. It was buried up the tailpipe, not visible from the side like an afterburner.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Vought F6U pirate. First naval aircraft with AB, and composite construction- a bonded aluminium-balsa core skinning called 'metalite'.
    I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, re: fire shooting out the back. Having spent some thousands of hours making old clangers (Magisters, Buckeyes, T-birds, Vampires ect) go, I can say that about the only time one can see fire up the pipe is on start-up.
    I can still recall an airshow at Namao, when I was a kid. A reserve Vampire squadron - I am that frikkin old! - would spot the aircraft on the spectator line - anywhere you cared to stand, in those days - with an erk waving a steak on a stick behind the tailpipe as the Goblin was lit off, flash-broiling the steak, though the kerosene marinade was probably somewhat unpalatable. The other variation was wad of burning newspaper, making as to 'light the fire'. Ah, jet noise!

Not so much fire or flames shooting out the back but rather the glow of light of flames from the burner ring is what I was interested in and as per J34 video I posted.

Try this, its an effect controlled by smoke visibility, will not show from side view.

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    Smoke.0 = -10.0, 3.2, -0.4,fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx
    Smoke.1 = -10.0, -3.2, -0.4,fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx
    Smoke.2 = -5.45, 3.06, -0.21,fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx
    Smoke.3 = -5.45, -3.06, -0.21,fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx

Rob

Where is the fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx file?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    Where is the fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx file?
    Part of FSX and P3D

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Try this, its an effect controlled by smoke visibility, will not show from side view.

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    Smoke.0 = -10.0, 3.2, -0.4,fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx
    Smoke.1 = -10.0, -3.2, -0.4,fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx
    Smoke.2 = -5.45, 3.06, -0.21,fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx
    Smoke.3 = -5.45, -3.06, -0.21,fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx

Rob
    Thanks Rob

I should mention at this point that the Banshee smoke effect and thereby the Afterburner are controlled
    by an xml gauge written by Dave Garwood for his beautiful Hunter.
    He kindly gave me permission to use it.

Rob Richardson

Sorry, Rob! I hope I haven't created a mess by my monkeying around and adding the burner ring effect to the Banshee. Great plane to fly, as always!

I know the Banshee had no afterburners (reheats) in real life, but I have always liked the burner ring effect.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I should mention at this point that the Banshee smoke effect and thereby the Afterburner are controlled
    by an xml gauge written by Dave Garwood for his beautiful Hunter.
    He kindly gave me permission to use it.

Rob Richardson
    Was that xml gauge baked into your model?

Thanks again

Sorry, Rob! I hope I haven't created a mess by my monkeying around and adding the burner ring effect to the Banshee. Great plane to fly, as always!

I know the Banshee had no afterburners (reheats) in real life, but I have always liked the burner ring effect.
    Zippy,

Check your email.

Butch

Sorry, Rob! I hope I haven't created a mess by my monkeying around and adding the burner ring effect to the Banshee. Great plane to fly, as always! I know the Banshee had no afterburners (reheats) in real life, but I have always liked the burner ring effect.
    I had no idea the burner flame could be seen in normal flight, thanks to Mike for that information.

I think the throttle on my stick may of been a little sensitive to the fast forward movements and if I slowly advance the throttle the burner rings light up.
    Same thing in reverse, lights will go out with slow regress.

I had no idea the burner flame could be seen in normal flight, thanks to Mike for that information.
    I had a clue about the J34 from the video I posted here.

I think the throttle on my stick may of been a little sensitive to the fast forward movements and if I slowly advance the throttle the burner rings light up.
    Same thing in reverse, lights will go out with slow regress.
    Maybe it's not the throttle device...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressor_stall

"The following, if severe enough, can cause stalling or surging.

• Aircraft operation outside its design envelope; e.g., extreme flight manoeuvres resulting in airflow separations within the engine intake, flight in icing conditions where ice can build up in the intake or compressor, flight at excessive altitudes.[3]
    • Engine operation outside its flight manual procedures; e.g., on early jet engines abrupt throttle movements (slam acceleration) when pilot's notes specified slow throttle movements. The excessive over-fuelling raised the operating line until it met the surge line. (Fuel control capability extended to automatically limit the over-fuelling to prevent surging)."

One more thing that may/not be enabled in the next-gen sim that will have to be learned by coders and pilots?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I have installed Rob's burner effect and it seems to work well! A tiny bit flamey on the starboard engine in close up view, but works like a champ!

Don't know if Jankees mentioned it here, but his P3D repaints work well for the FSX model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rob effect.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	73522

Members who have read this thread: 0