Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob's F2H-2 BANSHEE for P3Dv4.5 is out

RCN Banshee

Last of the RCN jets. Great choice!Thanks,Bill

looking good!
    can I do imaginary pants as well?
    2020-1-13_23-4-21-303

2020-1-13_23-17-46-442
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Rob, thank you so much for this awesome jet! I hope you know how much fans of classic military aircraft enjoy your efforts. The Banshee looks amazing, and it's a blast to fly in VR; the cockpit works really well in the virtual view.

Jankees, thanks, also, for your awesome paints! If you're looking for more ideas, I've seen a few pics of Banshees in natural metal (from when the USN was testing natural metal covered with a clearcoat) that look really cool. But just a suggestion -- really appreciate what you've done so far and I'm about to give my Banshee a Canadian option!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F2H-4+81NP.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Rob, thank you so much for this awesome jet! I hope you know how much fans of classic military aircraft enjoy your efforts. The Banshee looks amazing, and it's a blast to fly in VR; the cockpit works really well in the virtual view.

Jankees, thanks, also, for your awesome paints! If you're looking for more ideas, I've seen a few pics of Banshees in natural metal (from when the USN was testing natural metal covered with a clearcoat) that look really cool. But just a suggestion -- really appreciate what you've done so far and I'm about to give my Banshee a Canadian option!

Since Rob is big into "Variants", hopefully, we'll get the Big Banjo (-3/4) as well. Then you really can have your Canadian Banshee. I have to say, I like that natural metal finish on the big banjo as well.

As for Jan Kees fantasy/fictional versions, I love those. We need German Marine, JASDF, etc.

Blog Entries
    Hello all, and a belated New Year.

Sorry I've been away for a few months - sickness has struck us again, and we've had to focus on that. All that said, I'm stoked to catch up on Klaus' carriers, and the various other "classic" naval addons that I'm behind on.

Rob - what can I say - another masterpiece. 50s era USN jets being close to my heart, I can't resist scanning every curve, every proportion. And it's simply delightfully and beautifully done. I think you've also nailed the flight model too, slow to accelerate, slow to slow down, reflecting the slow sppol up time of those old Westinghouse turbojets.

It's also worth mentioning that though I'm only on P3D4 now, I remember when I was flying FSX and how we'd all hope you'd do a version for that sim. That was might classy of you to still remember the FSXers - so thanks on their behalf. As with the Cougar, I'll humbly ask if you'd consider the -2P version. Sharing the VC is totally fine, but it'd sure be lovely to fly some photo recce flights along the Korean peninsula. Either way, I'll get loads of use out of this model as I've gotten from the Cougar, and will do now that I've got some more sim time.

@Yankees - some great shots there, friend. Just a small request to fix the RCN roundel - it's a common mistake, but a big one for accuracy sake. The Maple Leaf you're showing is the modern 11-pointed leaf, post '65 style. The one you want is the older, more pointed/jagged style as per here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...y_(Type_1).svg

A useful markings history: http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...-Round-Up.aspx

Also, the medium blue upper surfaces on the RCN model should be grey - the few period colour pictures make this a bit hard to judge, but when the RCN museum paint is pretty accurate, and I've visited that museum many times when I lived in Calgary since it was just down the road from my army base. I the accuracy of museum paints can be hit and miss, but the curators of that museum included former crew from HMCS Bonavanture, and they were meticulously thorough in the restoration both of th

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55096041@N07/24986543398
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_me...ant/3442803253
    https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8521963

Not looking to be pedantic or annoying - just looking to help on a subject I've been up close and personal to in real life - I know you'll do great work on these paints.

Thanks again Rob, Jankees, et al for this great project.

Cheers,

dl

I thought sooner or later the "Big Banjo" would get a mention.
    I watched "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" a couple of nights ago (great film) and although the Panther had the starring role
    there were Big Banjos' parked on the carrier, could not see any -2s'.
    The film was made in the early 50s' during or just after the Korean war so aircraft continuity must have been accurate.
    After the F2H-2 modelling the -3 would be a big undertaking, its differences are more than its similarities.
    I'll have to give that one some thought!

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    @Jankees - some great shots there, friend. Just a small request to fix the RCN roundel - it's a common mistake, but a big one for accuracy sake. The Maple Leaf you're showing is the modern 11-pointed leaf, post '65 style. The one you want is the older, more pointed/jagged style as per here:

Also, the medium blue upper surfaces on the RCN model should be grey - the few period colour pictures make this a bit hard to judge, but when the RCN museum paint is pretty accurate, and I've visited that museum many times when I lived in Calgary since it was just down the road from my army base.
    I'll change the roundel, but for the color(s) I have a problem. "The medium blue should be grey", sure, but which grey? What does not help is that I am very colorblind, so I need either some RGB codes, or a very clear picture of the right color. The same for the color of the lower parts btw, because I have the feeling it is too light. I had a really hard time finding anything about RCN colors, so any help is welcome!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

I think the upper surfaces are extra-dark sea grey (RGB 103,108,115) and the underside probably a light aircraft grey (RGB 177, 179, 178) though might be lighter. I used those on an RCN Sea Fury many years ago. That's what I'm going to use any way.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I'll change the roundel, but for the color(s) I have a problem. "The medium blue should be grey", sure, but which grey? What does not help is that I am very colorblind, so I need either some RGB codes, or a very clear picture of the right color. The same for the color of the lower parts btw, because I have the feeling it is too light. I had a really hard time finding anything about RCN colors, so any help is welcome!
    Hi Jan!

It's to your credit that your work is as good as it is, your impairment notwithstanding. Your work is almost always incredibly accurate. I'm travelling at the moment and don't have many resources close on hand to help you. But a while back, DaveQ did a great repaint for the Flying Stations Sea Fury in RCN colours. The top surface grey he used, in my view, is pretty accurate. That repaint is here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ury-RCN870-zip

Additionally, here's a reference guide to some colours used by RCN during the period in question. The second colour from the top ("Dark Grey") is a pretty good match, IMHO.

Colour specs: Hue: 138 Sat: 13 Lum: 95 Red: 95 Green: 101 Blue: 106

Hope that helps!

Thanks again,

dl

EDIT - 205'd by the master himself.... lol!

Toko Ri anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ananda View Post
    Toko Ri anyone?

that's a Grumman Panther, not a Banshee?

One of these. Back on topic now.

Even more back on topic. Love the Vertigo Panther, but actually always slightly more preferred flying Razbam's Banshee.

Rob, you really have nailed it - it's heavenly! Thanks so much.

free pic upload
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I found this site on RCN colors (with RGB codes!) and decided on these colors:
    Banshee008

Banshee012

Banshee011

I hope you like them?
    I also adapted the imaginary Dutch paint a bit:
    Banshee014

Banshee015

and I uploaded them both, here (thanks Dave for solving my problem) and on avsim.

and I thought I'd add one more paintjob:

Banshee020

Banshee023

Blog Entries
    Awesome Jan!!

That RCN paint now looks dead right. That one, the VMF-224, and VF-34 are going to be my favourite mounts on this model!

Thanks so much!

dl

Guns, smoke, noise and shell casings!

For a bit of fun, add this effect for the nose guns/cannons with the following entries:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    Smoke.0 = -10.0, 3.2, -0.4,fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx
    Smoke.1 = -10.0, -3.2, -0.4,fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx

smoke.2= 15.9, 0.6, -0.8, fx_Wing_Guns
    smoke.3= 15.9,-0.6, -0.8, fx_Wing_Guns

Your "I" key may fire these but you may want to (also) map it to a button.

NB: these were my coordinates above for the Razbam F2H so you might want to play around with them for better alignment.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Goes so well with Klaus's Korea area ships! One thing I notice is that in bright day light the color is more lightish blue grey and more glassy, whereas in my first screenie a few posts above, this was at dusk and the glossy sea blue looked right on the money. Now, this is due I am sure to P3Dv4 HDR + dynamic lighting and the tomatoe shaders I am using. Notice this effect with other aircraft with these settings.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Goes so well with Klaus's Korea area ships! One thing I notice is that in bright day light the color is more lightish blue grey and more glassy, whereas in my first screenie a few posts above, this was at dusk and the glossy sea blue looked right on the money. Now, this is due I am sure to P3Dv4 HDR + dynamic lighting and the tomatoe shaders I am using. Notice this effect with other aircraft with these settings.
    Just posted an updated P3D model to hopefully correct that texture issue, also added g meter reset switch, hud vis switch and one or two other small improvements.

Blog Entries
    Rob,

New model is great. I appreciated the "HUD on/off" toggle, and the resetable G meter.

Thanks again - will get lots of use out of this one. Love that you've given attention to 1950s USN birds that doubtlessly would never have been modeled.

Jan, installed the repaints yesterday - they're delightful.

Cheers all,

dl

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    For a bit of fun, add this effect for the nose guns/cannons with the following entries:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    Smoke.0 = -10.0, 3.2, -0.4,fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx
    Smoke.1 = -10.0, -3.2, -0.4,fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx

smoke.2= 15.9, 0.6, -0.8, fx_Wing_Guns
    smoke.3= 15.9,-0.6, -0.8, fx_Wing_Guns

Your "I" key may fire these but you may want to (also) map it to a button.

NB: these were my coordinates above for the Razbam F2H so you might want to play around with them for better alignment.

I'd like to know where this fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx is at and what is it supposed to do?
    I did not see that effect file for the FSX version?

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I'd like to know where this fx_Sea_Venom_Smoke.fx is at and what is it supposed to do?
    I did not see that effect file for the FSX version?
    Venom smoke (i) key gives smoke out the tailpipe for a few seconds. The effect should be in your Effects folder.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Members who have read this thread: 2