To PBR or not to PBR?

Thread: To PBR or not to PBR?

To PBR or not to PBR?

Odd problem, I gave the Tiger a test run, loaded a few repaints (bearing in mind the demo doesn't support PBR) and promptly purchased the package from JF.
    In the installation menu there are a bevy of options, so of course I selected P3D4+ with PBR.
    Annoyingly the PBR version looks pretty ordinary compared to the demo, even the defaults skins are dull, while repaints vary from good to not so good.
    Yes, I selected the correct package and it did it's thing, and yes, I added all the repaints as usual and yes, my P3D4.5 installation is up to date.
    So the question is: any other similar issues showing up for other Tiger Flyers?

Non PBR Demo version.

Full PBR+ Version.

And what happened to the 'yellow' fin in the second Tiggie?
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The second one is a different version of Ganfm. Four slightly different variations three real and a fictitious all yellow one.

Another attack of 'CRAFT' Syndrome Dave.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

IMHO, to get the best out of it PBR needs a better graphics engine than P3Pv4.5 offers. But there are some improvements to be had; it is better at giving an authentic weathered look to paintwork and, to a lesser extent, glossy paintwork. But at some light angles I struggle to see improvement with metal finishes over a well-executed spec/alpha. Finally (and the reason it's worth it to me) it will remove that pesky and persistant blue tint to many canopies - no, turning off HDR doesn't always work on my rig at least.

F-104D 57-1323 of the Puerto Rico ANG getting airborne from Muniz AFB San Juan, Puerto Rico. I've added a refuelling probe which some carried, presumably to practice in-flight refuelling for their single seat F-104C's.

CF-104D in NM from the dark side.. Not so good as the bright side. Panelling tends to be over-heavy and paint colors to dark. And before you say it, how do you lighten white??

My two pennies-worth...!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

There is a work around for my textures to display properly in P3dv4.5.

Make a copy of the FSX model folder, rename it and drop it in the P3d folder. Make the appropriate alterations to the model= line in the aircraft cfg to use the renamed FSX model so that the polished cowlings are shiny and not a dull grey.

Thanks erican2. That works.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Glad it worked and you can enjoy flying the repaints in P3d.

Members who have read this thread: 0