Check This Out!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Check This Out!

Check This Out!

Rob has posted some new pics of his Banshee!

http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thanks for the heads up. I am so looking forward to that release. It's looking amazing. Last week he had some really great shots of the panel as well.

Its got straight wing's, so i'll be able to land it on a carrier Seriously though, its a fine looking model

Another thanks for the heads up. Another "classic".

Wow ! That jet looks really good. Rob's modeling talents continue to get better and better. Thanks for The H/U Ed ! Mike

That is a very good looking plane! Great to land on one of Klaus' carriers!

Cees

Love it. F2H-2 was the best looking Banshee in my opinion.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

She looks beautiful but what's with the plexiglass? Looks a bit "milky".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Print 26 (Large).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	73389

Name:	Print 27 (Large).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	73390

Name:	Banshee Onboard.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	73391

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    She looks beautiful but what's with the plexiglass? Looks a bit "milky"
    Cor blimey guvn'r Not even out of the factory doors and we have complaints!
    It is on the "to do" list Mal. I promise.
    You might be the very person to help me with a small question that I am, as yet, unable to answer.
    Just forward of the windscreen there would appear to be a pop up, what I can only think is a, deck landing sight, is this the case do you know?
    Only visible in a few grainy photos.
    I have "Naval Fighters 73 Early Banshees'" loads of info but this does not even get a mention.

Rob

SOH-CM-2023
    Perhaps this might help but I do not see the pop-up you are referring. Great work, Rob, and I also like your Spit 24.

https://www.flight-manuals-online.co...l-f2h-banshee/

I'm also looking forward to this project! Does this pic show the thingy just in front of the windscreen that you were describing?

Name:	McDonnell-F2H-2N-Banshee_93.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	73393 Click on the pic to make it bigger!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I'm also looking forward to this project! Does this pic show the thingy just in front of the windscreen that you were describing?

Click on the pic to make it bigger!
    Hmmm, just wondering, could this be a retracting gadget that indicates the nosewheel down and locked? It does appear that it is able to drop into that recess.

Current System Specs:

That is the clearest picture I've seen showing the mystery object!
    Gear indicator sounds plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    That is the clearest picture I've seen showing the mystery object!
    Gear indicator sounds plausible.
    Maybe just a "randy" Banshee!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Found this:
    https://youtu.be/H_ZixqnoRCM
    Excellent F2H Preflight and Operation. It does not appear that the item showing forward of the windscreen is for nosewheel down and locked indication. It only shows during Carrier Landings so possibly a tailhook indication or as Rob suggested some sort of alignment sight for Carrier Landings.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Found this:
    https://youtu.be/H_ZixqnoRCM
    Excellent F2H Preflight and Operation. It does not appear that the item showing forward of the windscreen is for nosewheel down and locked indication. It only shows during Carrier Landings so possibly a tailhook indication or as Rob suggested some sort of alignment sight for Carrier Landings.
    It is called a "crash barrier", or barrier deflector. It extended with the hook as I recall. Pilots landed with the canopy open (ejection seat envelope not good enough for low altitude ejection back then), it was supposed to keep a barrier wire from entering the cockpit if the plane went into a barrier. Normally it was not a problem, but with sheared gear or a flip over, it could be deadly to the pilot.

In flight training in the mid-60's, we flew single seat AF-9J Cougars in the last phases of advanced jet training, and some of them still had one!! By that time though, we had the mirror landing system and 100 knot Martin Baker seats with automatic seat-man separation, landed with the canopy closed.

Thank you very much to all for the help.
    I didn't think it would be long before someone came up with the answer to the "mystery object" problem.
    Thank you Mike for that.
    I just love those old Navy and Air-force training films, thanks Ed for the link.

Rob, you know me and by no means was that a complaint. Now, I'll have another look at the mystery item to see if I have any more details. BTW, it's a fine looking jet.

Name:	Banshee.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	73394

Rob, check your email. I sent you a bigger picture of the crash barrier arm and info about it's operation from the manual. Let me know what else you might need.
    Last edited by mal998; January 9th, 2020 at 13:10.

Looking great! Will this be for FSX or P3D?

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Rob, you know me and by no means was that a complaint. Now, I'll have another look at the mystery item to see if I have any more details. BTW, it's a fine looking jet.
    Rob, check your email. I sent you a bigger picture of the crash barrier arm and info about it's operation from the manual. Let me know what else you might need.
    Remarks were just in good humour Mal, and thank you for the "blue"
    It all makes sense now,

It is called a "crash barrier", or barrier deflector. It extended with the hook as I recall. Pilots landed with the canopy open (ejection seat envelope not good enough for low altitude ejection back then), it was supposed to keep a barrier wire from entering the cockpit if the plane went into a barrier.
    Those of you with the Vertigo Panther will recognize it has exactly the same feature - the "stick" that rises up in front of the canopy when you let down the tail hook.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I thought I'd seen that thing in "The Bridges at Toko Ri," the F9Fs had one that also showed when the canopy was opened on approach.

Yes! When Brubaker traps with no crash barrier they have to use the Tilley crane you see the device extend. Also a great quick shot of the nose of the Panther projecting in between the legs of the crane before the wire pulls the aircraft back - just missing avoiding making contact.

Its been years since I last saw that film.
    I see its on "Prime" to rent.
    I think I'll get myself a bowl of popcorn ( the stuff with toffee on not the plain ) and watch it to-night!

Rob

Great movie! I'll have to add it to my Netflicks list!

Name:	tokory03.jpg 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	73406

Name:	navy_13.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	73407

Members who have read this thread: 0