It will be a challenge!

Thread: It will be a challenge!

Icon22 It will be a challenge!

I finally did it and bought a state of the art machine to replace my 12 years old one. It means a lot of re-installing. As I haven't got a clue what I currently have installed concerning ground textures, water textures and clouds, it will be a challenge to get it as good looking as it currently is........ (well at least according my opinion)

Like with all my previous installs I will try to keep it as clean as possible. But like all previous times, I'm sure I will fail I could of course copy large parts of my previous installs, but as said I what to keep it cleaner than it currently is.......

The four basic CDs will create me a vanilla copy. which is will use to create a copy which will be Golden Wings 3 and a second copy which will become Silver Wings....................

Than I go through my library of scenery textures to find out what really want to re-install. I guess it will be a lot if Gary Burns, Ian Elliot's and Cees Donker's, stuff, with of course West Malling by Bill Womack, which comes with the Real Air Spitfire........... I have to look what I have on the German side. Werneuchen and Westeland-Sylt will be there fore sure.

Aircraft will be quite a challenge. There is already far more available (and interesting) than I can fly during one life time............

Any useful suggestions?

Cheers,
    Huub

Almost makes you feel like a Noob.

Care to share the hardware specs and brand?

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Good luck with your new rig!

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I finally did it and bought a state of the art machine to replace my 12 years old one. It means a lot of re-installing. As I haven't got a clue what I currently have installed concerning ground textures, water textures and clouds, it will be a challenge to get it as good looking as it currently is........ (well at least according my opinion)

Like with all my previous installs I will try to keep it as clean as possible. But like all previous times, I'm sure I will fail I could of course copy large parts of my previous installs, but as said I what to keep it cleaner than it currently is.......

The four basic CDs will create me a vanilla copy. which is will use to create a copy which will be Golden Wings 3 and a second copy which will become Silver Wings....................

Than I go through my library of scenery textures to find out what really want to re-install. I guess it will be a lot if Gary Burns, Ian Elliot's and Cees Donker's, stuff, with of course West Malling by Bill Womack, which comes with the Real Air Spitfire........... I have to look what I have on the German side. Werneuchen and Westeland-Sylt will be there fore sure.

Aircraft will be quite a challenge. There is already far more available (and interesting) than I can fly during one life time............

Any useful suggestions?

Cheers,
    Huub

BIG 1) Pick yourself up an external hard drive and copy your current installation of fs on to that ( mine is on a 1 TB external drive now) , BUT make sure same external hard drive is not connected to your new machine until after it's done ALL windows installation and updates

Reason for this is you may find some of your install discs no longer work with Win10, due to Microsoft deliberately rendering 'Digital Rights Management' software unworkable (sorry, presuming you are getting Win10)

Ttfn

Pete

Huub,
    I have managed to zip my various FS9 flavors into compressed files (it's a PITA time wise) and store them on an external backup drive.
    WinRar is my preferred 'Zipper' as it allows you to look inside the zipped file, check what is there and extract a single item if that is what you are looking for.
    Same for my P3D3 and P3D4 packages.
    It comes in very useful if you have a large number of repaints for an aircraft and don't want to go through the aggro of adding them all over again including re-writing the cfg file!
    At least it could help in checking what you had previously and what you don't want this time round!
    You will love having a nice new up to date system as well.

And FTR: In the greatly devalued A$ a 4TB Seagate 'portable' external drive costs around A$120+/- loose change. Well worth it.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Almost makes you feel like a Noob.

Care to share the hardware specs and brand?
    Dave,

No problem, its a no-brand hand build machine. Is a sort of compromise, as its a machine to play with, but also a machine I should be able to work on.

I have chosen for a Cooler Master MC500P case which contains:
    • Gigabyte Z90 AORUS Ultra motherboard
    • Intel Core i9 9900KF processor at 3.6 Ghz
    • 32 GB DDR4 RAM at 3000 Mhz
    • GeForce RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC X2 8GB GDDR6
    • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD
    • Toshiba 3TB HD
    • Scythe Kotetsu Mk II Cooler
    • Seasonic CG650 650W Power supply
    • and some addtional stuff like an network card, DVD writer, card for some extra USB ports etc.

I as I couldn't find an affordable brand machine with the specs I liked, I decided to make my own choice......

Cheers,
    Huub

@ Motormouse and Wombat, I'm a bit reluctant to copy my old install as there is a lot junk in it as well. I wanted to start with a brand new install like I already did with my FSX install.

A quick reminder what vanilla FS9 looks like!

If its any consolation Huub, ive just installed FS9 form disk into my new W10 system with no probs what so ever, And now in plundering all those Team Daedalus 109's in the library

Hey Ian,

When you are reinstalling FS9, that sounds like we can expect good news.......

I have just done a vanilla install from FS9 on my new machine without any problem. After all these years I wasn't sure a 100% about my old CDs, but they still ran without any hick-ups. My brand new DVD is still in its plastic wrap!
    And I also ran FS9 in several installs on my old rig with Windows10 without any problems, so I didn't expect any problems with Windows10.

The only problem I encountered so far is that I let my GeForce card run all the settings for my "newer" programs (which works really great!), however this doesn't work for ancient FS2004. And somehow I haven't found a way to let FS9 look crips and sharp (is that understandable English? )

Cheers,
    Huub

Slowly getting FS9 alive. This is still a clean "out of the box" FS9 install.

A quick reminder what vanilla FS9 looks like!

I think you need to turn up that autogen and use the tweaks to have more of it show!!

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I think you need to turn up that autogen and use the tweaks to have more of it show!!

Priller
    I know. See my second screenshot. Reducing visibility is always nice to improve the framerates....

Cheers,
    Huub

I know. See my second screenshot. Reducing visibility is always nice to improve the framerates....

Cheers,
    Huub
    For realism, I rarely do more than 20 miles, but prefer 10 for realism at least when near lots of water or humidity. Frame rates not an issue with my computer at any setting and its 11 years old (thanks to txnetcop).
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Golden Wings 3 by Lynn and Bill Lyons.

The Rhine Valley close to Koblenz..........

Amazing to see what a huge difference Golden Wings 3 made to the sim! The "OceanHeightField" texture is not the best I have in my collection. I think I used the one by Joao Paz in my previous install.

Cheers,
    Huub

Installing aircraft

Re-installing aircraft can bring back long forgotten models, still nice to fly and which install still smoothly (SimTech P39)

Or to well known models which which are a pain to install (has to be in FS9 default root folder) and many textures are copies in the some texture folder, so time consuming to get them working in the Golden Wings install......) (WOP FW190 A5)

Clouds still need to be replaced with HDE clouds and sky colours by Pablo Diaz.

Cheers,
    Huub

Re-installing aircraft can bring back long forgotten models, still nice to fly and which install still smoothly (SimTech P39)

Or to well known models which which are a pain to install (has to be in FS9 default root folder) and many textures are copies in the some texture folder, so time consuming to get them working in the Golden Wings install......) (WOP FW190 A5)

Clouds still need to be replaced with HDE clouds and sky colours by Pablo Diaz.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Man!! You're making progess!!

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Man!! You're making progess!!
    Based on your current nickname, you should easily recognise the aircraft in the second picture......

Cheers,
    Huub

Well, slowly getting there..................

Now with HDE clouds and many other tweaks

Cheers,
    Huub

Well, I'm satisfied for now. Its the Restauravia Bloch MB.152 with one of my repaints over (standard) Golden Wings Granville France. The clouds are the HDE clouds by Pablo Diaz and for the rest its just an awful lot of tweaking.

With many thanks to "taff" rgatkinson for pointing me to a great tutorial.

Cheers,
    Huub

Question

This has been good Huub, as I've tweaked mine using HDE lite (is the full version really any better?)...and has got me thinking, as I do little pleasure flying these days...what is Taff's tutorial suggestion please?

And what about a a permenant sticky post for just Fs2004 tweaks, so people can suggest, ask questions, view results and ideas, and have download links?

Cheers

Shessi

Nice idea Shessi, as you have seen I have made a sticky with the tutorial found by Taff. As clouds are important for me I have posted something about clouds. Which hopefully encourage people to improve their FS2004 install. As long as you make frequent backups there is nothing you can do wrong....

Cheers,
    Huub

Ta!

Great, getting people thinking and involved....

Cheers

Shessi

The Rhine valley again.... (compare with the image in post 12....)

Cheers,
    Huub

I don't think it will get much better than this...................

Now I have to install loads of airfield!

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0