GPS Display Question

Thread: GPS Display Question

GPS Display Question

Does anyone know why the standard GPS (or any GPS actually) when used as a pop-up has a crisp, easy-to-read display, but if that same GPS is used as a component in the VC it becomes almost unreadable? I understand that this is not always the case, but many times it is a problem and so I'm curious to see if there is a way to correct it. . .or it's just the way it is with certain airplanes.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Check the pixel resolution in the virtual cockpit section where the GPS resides. Make it at least 1024x1024. I usually set mine in the middle at 2048x2048.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Check the pixel resolution in the virtual cockpit section where the GPS resides. Make it at least 1024x1024. I usually set mine in the middle at 2048x2048.

LouP
    Thanks, that was the first thing I checked. I also checked to see what font the GPS was using in case that font wasn't available. . .dead end there as well.

Current System Specs:

Just to be clear, here's a comparison. . .the Garmin 500 on the right is a pop-up, the other is in the VC. While the VC GPS isn't showing the Garmin 500 it looks as bad. . .I just tried another to see if there was any difference (improvement).

GPS by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Does anyone know why the standard GPS (or any GPS actually) when used as a pop-up has a crisp, easy-to-read display, but if that same GPS is used as a component in the VC it becomes almost unreadable? I understand that this is not always the case, but many times it is a problem and so I'm curious to see if there is a way to correct it. . .or it's just the way it is with certain airplanes.
    Ed, obviously this is not the same GPS as the popup 2D version.

If you would display the gauge entry for this in the panel.cfg entry, and look at the xml code for that gauge you will discover the reason.

Is this a separate window section or part of the main panel display.

The GPS display is obviously being severely stretched or compressed to lose the fidelity.

Check the panel.cfg gps gauge entry size xxx,yyy and compare to what the xml image display size is.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Milton's on the money - I've got a customized GPS in the F-18F that draws from the stock GPS900, and it shows correctly and at good resolution. I used a 1024 x 1024 "$" dummy texture in the VC, and set the panel .cfg entry as follows;

[Vcockpit04]
    Background_color=1,1,1
    size_mm=1024,1024
    visible=1
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$VC_GPS

Worked fine. It must be a resolution issue somewhere along the development line.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Ed, obviously this is not the same GPS as the popup 2D version.

If you would display the gauge entry for this in the panel.cfg entry, and look at the xml code for that gauge you will discover the reason.

Is this a separate window section or part of the main panel display.

The GPS display is obviously being severely stretched or compressed to lose the fidelity.

Check the panel.cfg gps gauge entry size xxx,yyy and compare to what the xml image display size is.
    Thanks Milton. Yes the GPS that's displayed is another I took from the AMX, just to see if there was any difference. It is part of "Vcockpit01" and the gauge entry is:
    gauge35=GPS_XML!GPS, 427,83,164,304

My question is, in the 4000+ lines of code for the GPS, where do I find the info I'm looking for? lol

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Milton's on the money - I've got a customized GPS in the F-18F that draws from the stock GPS900, and it shows correctly and at good resolution. I used a 1024 x 1024 "$" dummy texture in the VC, and set the panel .cfg entry as follows;

[Vcockpit04]
    Background_color=1,1,1
    size_mm=1024,1024
    visible=1
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$VC_GPS

Worked fine. It must be a resolution issue somewhere along the development line.
    Thanks, sounds good but is that something I can do or is that a developers trick?

Current System Specs:

Whoever modeled that virtual cockpit simply UVW Mapped the GPS display area too small! There is nothing to be done without the source code for the model so it could be redone correctly.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Whoever modeled that virtual cockpit simply UVW Mapped the GPS display area too small! There is nothing to be done without the source code for the model so it could be redone correctly.
    Thank You, unfortunate!

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Thank You, unfortunate!
    It could probably be fixed if the part is exported with ModelConverterX and re-mapped with Blender.

How I would do it is export the model part with the McX Hierarchy Editor into .OBJ format.
    I would then import the part into Blender and edit it.
    Once satisfied, I would export the part to .MDL format using the McX Merge Objects tool and then export the whole model into the appropriate .MDL format.

I have fixed a few models this way..... even added VC panels and gunsights.

I would offer to do it for you, but my modeling PC is down hard at the moment with a blown power supply.

Edit to add..... in order for it to work, Blender2FSX needs to be installed in Blender
    Last edited by awstub; January 6th, 2020 at 06:53. Reason: added information
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Th GPS has been removed from the VC.

Current System Specs:

Ed,

A possible option if you would like to give this a try, pretty sure it can be done.
    Just a moving map display (with no or very little controls*) in the area you currently have now.
    The 2D GPS500 or any MSFS sdk produced GPS would provide display controls.
    A "master" & "slave" perse. The slave would be a highly stripped down version of GPS code configured in a way that will display properly.
    The display would be only the moving map regardless of what is displayed on the 2D popup GPS.

* Controls - thinking PWR, Zoom, Brightness & a hot spot to open the 2D GPS. All on the lower part of the bezel. This would leave more room for a nice map display.
    If interested PM me.

After taking a closer look, it doesn't look possible - the stretch in the X direction is just too great.

Hope you had nice holidays.
    Happy New Year!
    Roman

This is what I opted for:

AlphaJet-2020-jan-8-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

The stretching can be seen even in the smaller warning lights and the Aircraft ID Placard. Anywhere where a generated font is required.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0