Gonzos Shipyard
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzos Shipyard

Gonzos Shipyard

I've recently been e-mailed asking about a number of models i'm working on and so I thought i'd post an update on some of the projects I have been quietly squirrelling away with when i've had the time. I'm more of a Cammel Laird than a Scotstoun at the moment amending and refurbishing existing models (primarily for my own benefit) with only one or two scratch builds.

There are a few I will be passing on to Henrik for his ongoing project, and one or two I might release as standalone (subject to various approvals).

The Essex class is progressing nicely.....though I do have some texturing issues and I need to start work on some air wings!!
    Textures for Lexington, Hancock, Bonnehomme Richard, Oriskany and Shangri-La have been done (though some minor tweaks still required)

Cheers
    Gary Gonzo

I've had a desire to do subs for a while now....these are just AI but I might make them pilotable/submersible for my own amusement

Trafalgar

Astute

And another little project of my own - i've modded Henriks type 22 batch 3 with some updated texturing and modelling for HMS Cornwall....think I might make this one pilotable to give me something I can sail into Devonport (another little scenery project i'm bashing away at)

Henrik - It's your model obviously so if you want a copy of the update PM me as usual.

Type 42 batch 1 is ongoing - might post some screenies of that

Updates to follow

Cheers
    Gary Gonzo

Those Essex carriers look great!

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    I've recently been e-mailed asking about a number of models i'm working on and so I thought i'd post an update on some of the projects I have been quietly squirrelling away with when i've had the time. I'm more of a Cammel Laird than a Scotstoun at the moment amending and refurbishing existing models (primarily for my own benefit) with only one or two scratch builds.

There are a few I will be passing on to Henrik for his ongoing project, and one or two I might release as standalone (subject to various approvals).

The Essex class is progressing nicely.....though I do have some texturing issues and I need to start work on some air wings!!
    Textures for Lexington, Hancock, Bonnehomme Richard, Oriskany and Shangri-La have been done (though some minor tweaks still required)

Cheers
    Gary Gonzo
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

WOW!!!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I've had a desire to do subs for a while now....these are just AI but I might make them pilotable/submersible for my own amusement

Trafalgar

Astute

And another little project of my own - i've modded Henriks type 22 batch 3 with some updated texturing and modelling for HMS Cornwall....think I might make this one pilotable to give me something I can sail into Devonport (another little scenery project i'm bashing away at)

Henrik - It's your model obviously so if you want a copy of the update PM me as usual.

Updates to follow

Cheers
    Gary Gonzo
    Hi Gary,
    Looks great as usually - also the update of the Cornwall And please PM me a copy.
    Henrik

Looking great ! I can't wait for the Essex class to become available(maybe with a 1960's ASW air wing - S2Fs and H-3s)

The Essex class carriers look great. I like that you've included the Shangri-La in the assortment.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    The Essex class carriers look great. I like that you've included the Shangri-La in the assortment.
    Awesome news thanks ive been looking for a angled deck Essex class

New addition to my 'fleet'....Shiny Sheff undergoing 'sea trials' with HMS Ambuscade in tow. Lighting and some texturing issues discovered. Will need to rework Coventry and Glasgow as a result which are just behind Sheffield on the assembly line

SCB-125 continues to give me issues with steam effects not firing properly or night lighting not displaying the way I want but i'm getting there

Very nice models. Looking forword to the SCB-125.

greetings
    Klaus

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Nice work! Argentinian version possible?

Trafalgar

Updates to follow

Cheers
    Gary Gonzo

Hi gp183601,

really a nice work. I would be very pleased to see these ships in my sim someday...

Question: It´s possible to derive an argentinian Type 42 - the ARA Santísima Trinidad D-2 (...with Sea Dart AA) additionally?
    The Argentinian bought two of the ships from the UK and D-2 (...built in Argentina) has even taken part in the Falkland War.
    Later in January 2013 the Argentinian Navy has succeeded to sink their own ship in the navy´s main Naval Base Puerto Belgrano .

(Rem.: I would prefer the floating model of D-2)

Greetings RS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ARA D-2.jpg  

SCB-125 continues to give me issues with steam effects not firing properly or night lighting not displaying the way I want but i'm getting there
    Perhaps SWS would allow you to transplant their OLS from the Coral Sea?
    Quote Originally Posted by SiR_RiPPER View Post
    The carrier also presents an opportunity to people to get acquainted first-hand with our carrier tech and its features and maybe set the ground for some freeware carriers using CEX, as hundreds more now have our module.

Very much looking forward to that Essex Gary!!!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I have the same issue with steam on the Karel Doorman!

Cees

Gary,
    I created a Training Air Wing CQ set of deck statics - TA-4 and T-2C with aircraft from Meridian (TRAWING 1), NAS Kingsville, TX (TRAWING 2), and NAS Chase Field, Beeville, TX (TRAWING 3) to go with CIMOGT's payware Lexington. The TA-4J's are from MAIW and the T-2's are FS8/9 aircraft - so neither provide a big hit on frames. I plan on sharing with all. Right now they are set (as i stated) for CIMOGT's Lexington. Depending on the differences in deck height and layout specific to your Lexington, I'd likely have to make some adjustments - but that is not a huge issue. Here are a couple of screenshots:

I didnt bake them into the model, but left that as their own, and then just added them as a "unit" in aicarriers. This is how it looks in my setup:

[formation.10]
    title=USS Lexington TA-4J TRAWING CQ 20Y
    unit.0=CVA-16_USS_LEXINGTON, 0, 0
    unit.1=AIR_WING_LEXINGTON, 0, 0
    unit.2=VEH_SH-3H_Seaking_80s, 200, 100

[formation.15]
    title=USS Lexington T2 CQ 20Y
    unit.0=CVA-16_USS_LEXINGTON, 0, 0
    unit.1=TRAWING T2, 0, 0
    unit.2=VEH_SH-3H_Seaking_80s, 200, 100

Deke
    Navy81
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ModelConverterX 2020-05-23 07-47-59-17.jpg   ModelConverterX 2020-05-23 07-49-11-91.jpg   fsx 2020-05-22 08-11-50-98.jpg   fsx 2020-05-19 15-28-02-93.jpg  

One more thing...
    Your ships look fantastic!

Great to see your progress, while I have been mostly quiet... Models are looking superb
    Henrik

Hey! These are cool to see! I'm trying to make a Lexington (CVA-16 & AVT-16) and need some assistance on textures.

What sort of assistance with the textures do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by lexington1709 View Post
    Hey! These are cool to see! I'm trying to make a Lexington (CVA-16 & AVT-16) and need some assistance on textures.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    What sort of assistance with the textures do you need?
    What I’m after is a flight deck with markings only. No background so I can color the deck itself with the period correct colors.

I've posted on the CVT-16 thread about the textures.

Now - i've had a few PMs asking about Essex and when it'll be done and rather reply to each just thought i'd do a generic thread post (you Crusader drivers are impatient)

I've had somebody testing what i've done so far (he knows who he is) and there are still issues to resolve:

-Transparency anomalies
    -Wake effects (which I think i've nailed i'm thanking Henrik for that)
    -Catapult steam effects
    -Launch and Recovery configurations
    -Alignment issues with deck aircraft
    -Night lighting
    -CVA/CVT-16 and the other SCB-125s
    -Hull colouring
    -Proper IFLOLS (I'm just using default at the moment which as we all know only aligns to a Nimitz sized carrier)

It'll take me a while to get round to finishing stuff....so do you:

-Want to wait
    -I do an interim cut of what i've done to date (warts and all) for you to use.....no complaints on what you get and i'll get round to fixing the things I know about when I finish it for upload with the additional ships (intrepid etc and reconfigured CVT-16).

Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Gary,
    I created a Training Air Wing CQ set of deck statics - TA-4 and T-2C with aircraft from Meridian (TRAWING 1), NAS Kingsville, TX (TRAWING 2), and NAS Chase Field, Beeville, TX (TRAWING 3) to go with CIMOGT's payware Lexington. The TA-4J's are from MAIW and the T-2's are FS8/9 aircraft - so neither provide a big hit on frames. I plan on sharing with all. Right now they are set (as i stated) for CIMOGT's Lexington. Depending on the differences in deck height and layout specific to your Lexington, I'd likely have to make some adjustments - but that is not a huge issue. Here are a couple of screenshots:

Deke
    Navy81
    Hay Deke,

There's an empty deck configuration so you should be able to add your training wing (with some adjustments). I'm doing a CVT-16 1980's version so once your statics are available I could look to align the deck layout for that.

Cheers
    Gary

Type 42 - the ARA Santísima Trinidad D-2

Yes - she was pretty much the same layout as Sheffield....I think i'm right in saying Hercules had Exocet launchers on the boat deck(?) but Trinidad was pretty much the same layout as Sheffield.

I'll see what I can do but shouldn't be difficult....it's probably something Henrik needs as part of his overall package.

Gary

I do an interim cut of what i've done to date (warts and all) for you to use.....no complaints on what you get
    That would be truly outstanding Gary - no complaints from me I promise!!

I'd be happy to look at doing texture work if it's just painting (I only have super basic skills in GMax, though I've been doing solid Modeling in packages like I-DEAS and SolidWorks since 1988). I use Paint Shop Pro ver 8 (the really old one, but every time I look to upgrade, it seems like they made things harder to do, and took away some features?). Since it's 32 bit, it has a tough time with really huge psd's. I'm ok at texture work, and still learning.

I did find some software that converts SolidWorks STEP files into 3DS models though, I started doing some work with that, but got distracted

(I was modeling the Collings' American Heritage Museum, I was working on modeling the whole "airfield" with Hangar and Museum, and was going to populate the Museum with tank models if I could, and the hangar with their planes I have the buildings mostly modeled, but I got stuck on texturing and modelng the grounds (the ground rises around the two buildings. I'll probably have to model the upper field as a solid model...Which will be an interesting learning experience.))

(Yeah, I've got a whole lot of projects going. But this Med Cruise one is one I'm going to finish... I'm nearly there. As I think I previously said, when I discovered you could make the fleet move in AICarriers2, and I stood there on the deck of the FDR and watched the southern coast of Europe go past, it brought a tear to my eye. I would have loved to have shared that with my Dad.)

Members who have read this thread: 0