Gonzos Shipyard - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gonzos Shipyard

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    Basically what expat said. Everyone is obviously going to have their own preferred formation setup but here's my formations (which I use for testing purposes). I did have an entry for all the carriers both empty and loaded in one formation but it got tiring having 8 carriers sailing along and hopping from one carrier in the fleet to the next!

[formation.10]
    title=USS Bonnehomme Richard CV31
    unit.0=USS_Bonnehomme_Richard, 0, 0

[formation.11]
    title=USS Hancock and Oriskany
    unit.0=USS_Hancock_loaded, 0, 0
    unit.1=USS_Oriskany, 0, 400

Basically just look at the sim.cfg file and copy the entry from the 'title' field for the carrier you want (i.e. title=USS_ShangriLa_loaded) into your aicarriers config (unit.x=USS_ShangriLa_loaded, X, Y)

Cheers
    Gary

How do I make a USS Bonhomme Richard loaded entry? I don't see any BHR loaded texture.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    How do I make a USS Bonhomme Richard loaded entry? I don't see any BHR loaded texture.
    You create a new texture entry in the folder structure and amend the textures accordingly for the aircraft on deck to match whatever you want for markings, and then add a new sim.cfg entry with the loadedmodel and the new texture entry.

You won’t see a BHR loaded texture because I haven’t done it yet hence why I briefly put it up with an ‘as is not finished yet’ caveat.

The folder structure for the next version is different as are the deck configurations.

cheers
    Gary

Would liked to of seen CVW-21 which was deployed on USS Hancock Nov 65- Aug 66 then onboard USS Bon Home Richard-Jan 67 -Aug 67 on either carrier.

I was with F-8 (VF-24) squadron during those times. We had the Spads of VA-215 (Barn Owls)
    After I finish with the Hancock's 64-65 WestPac cruise, I'll do the same for 65-66. Something interesting I found (to me at least) while trying to pin down the correct markings is that VF-24 and VF-211 are related to each other. This web site explains it http://vf-211.my-personal.org/

Looking at the 64-65 cruise book, it seems there were two slightly different marking on the VF-211 Crusaders.

One without a black band at the top of the tail...

(The upper right wing lettering is tough to get looking right, because of the way the textures are mapped between two sheets)

and one with a black band and what appears to be the squadron patch on the tail.

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    After I finish with the Hancock's 64-65 WestPac cruise, I'll do the same for 65-66. Something interesting I found (to me at least) while trying to pin down the correct markings is that VF-24 and VF-211 are related to each other. This web site explains it http://vf-211.my-personal.org/

Looking at the 64-65 cruise book, it seems there were two slightly different marking on the VF-211 Crusaders.

One without a black band at the top of the tail...

(The upper right wing lettering is tough to get looking right, because of the way the textures are mapped between two sheets)

and one with a black band and what appears to be the squadron patch on the tail.

VF-24 was rivals with VF-211 and would refer to them as Brand X and because we (VF-24) had the smaller red checks they would call us bite size.

Recovery Complete

Stoof with a roof.....

Mail Call

Before the internet and cellphones.....

At sea, we got mail thanks be to COD.

Last edited by gray eagle; June 6th, 2020 at 12:29.

Before the internet and cellphones.....

At sea, we got mail thanks to the COD.
    Nice picture!

Also hi-lined along side the oiler / ammo ship when un-reping. The small boys got it that way, but later helos could go from an un-rep ship direct to the cruisers / destroyers with their mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Nice picture!

Also hi-lined along side the oiler / ammo ship when un-reping. The small boys got it that way, but later helos could go from an un-rep ship direct to the cruisers / destroyers with their mail.
    Subs too got their mail via helo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan210a.jpg  

I know Gaz may be changing the models and deck arrangments but having fun plashing some (MS) paint in the meantime . .

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries
    No issue with you creating the textures you want Deke....just keep in mind in my next version that I’m working on, some texture naming and layout may change as I try to address some of the anomalies so if you take another “cut” you may need to rework your original textures accordingly.
    Great to hear, Garay, that the subsequent version is underway - you and the other contributors are doing some great work.

And ex - love those shots!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    This worked straight out of the box for me (adjusted sequence for a stand alone cfg.):

[formation.0]
    title=USS Hancock CV-19
    unit.0=USS_Hancock_loaded, 0, 0
    unit.1=VEH_Robison, -600, -400
    unit.2=USS_CA-68_Baltimore_1950, 600, 400
    unit.3=DD445_ai, 0, -200
    unit.4=Kaman_SH-2C/D_Seasprite, 60, -10

[formation.1]
    title=USS Oriskany CV-34
    unit.0=USS_Oriskany_loaded, 0, 0
    unit.3=DD445_ai, 450,-1200

[formation.2]
    title=USS Shangri-la CV-38
    unit.0=USS_ShangriLa_loaded, 0, 0
    unit.3=DD445_ai, 450,-1200
    When I extracted the files for the Essex Class carriers, I do not have a text file with AICarriers.cfg entries. Should there be one? NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    When I extracted the files for the Essex Class carriers, I do not have a text file with AICarriers.cfg entries. Should there be one? NC
    Pete,

I send you a PM about that.

NAS Norfolk - June 1964

All set to move aboard the Intrepid (CVS-11) for the Med Cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post

Interesting, never knew my old squadron (HS-3) looked like this. We had a Trident symbol on the squadron patch.

Last edited by gray eagle; June 15th, 2020 at 10:41.

Gray Eagle,

I didn't know you were a 'Sea King'. When were you there? I was in HS-3 from 3/62 to 6/65 (electronics/sonar/aircrew) and from 2/69 to 1/70 (aircrew). Got 'selected' to be one of the ones to populate the reactivation of HS-7 in Quonset Point in 1/70. Sort of a shock to going from Norva to Quonset in January.
    Yep, second time around the name and patch had been changed from 'Sea Kings' to 'Tridents'. And the helos had been painted white over grey. I was crew on the 1964 pickups of 'Gemini 3' - Grissom and Young. Somewhere in my junk I have the toggle off of Gus Grissom's life vest.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan134.jpg  

I was crew on the 1964 pickups of 'Gemini 3' - Grissom and Young. Somewhere in my junk I have the toggle off of Gus Grissom's life vest.
    That's a piece of some serious history. Great story.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Icon14

navy81, my great-grandfather was aboard the Wasp between 1965 and 1966, they had only Stoofs, Spads, and Seakings. When do you think you'll be done with that project? It looks very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    navy81, my great-grandfather was aboard the Wasp between 1965 and 1966, they had only Stoofs, Spads, and Seakings. When do you think you'll be done with that project? It looks very nice!
    My apologies to all - just got behind on real world stuff, then picked up other ideas and working them simultaneously.

I will package this up - already got permission from Milton Shupe to use his aircraft. For this package, you will need CIMOGT's essex class carriers - he generously provided his permission for me to modify one to create the WASP (CVS-18). Because it is payware, I cannot provide the ship, but can provide the substitute textures. Once Gonzo finishes his Essex class decks, I will gladly reconfigure the CVSG's to his deck height and layout.

On another subject, i purchased from SIM MARKET CIMOGT's P3D Forrestal (which has air wing assignments from the 60's and 1992). With his permission, I was able to successfully convert it for FSX. Some of the animations work, some don't, but since I don't have P3D, and do not plan on obtaining it, I am less concerned with that. The Forrestal class was the one remaining class of US Carriers that we were missing (for those who like flying around the boat). I added a new Air Wing scheme for the 1992 version - you can use it with or without the gauge generated Air Wing (like all of his other great work). More info to come with that, and it is a very nicely done model. Anyone who wants Forrestal, Sara, Indy, or Ranger in their boat folders, this is an excellent one to go with. I am working on the substitute textures for Sara, Indy, and Ranger, along with substitute Air Wings. Will post some pictures later today if time permits.

Meantime, i will gladly get the two CVSG's for Essex and Wasp that I have completed packaged and loaded.
    All the best to all.
    Deke

Navy81

Gray Eagle,

I didn't know you were a 'Sea King'. When were you there? I was in HS-3 from 3/62 to 6/65 (electronics/sonar/aircrew) and from 2/69 to 1/70 (aircrew). Got 'selected' to be one of the ones to populate the reactivation of HS-7 in Quonset Point in 1/70. Sort of a shock to going from Norva to Quonset in January.
    Yep, second time around the name and patch had been changed from 'Sea Kings' to 'Tridents'. And the helos had been painted white over grey. I was crew on the 1964 pickups of 'Gemini 3' - Grissom and Young. Somewhere in my junk I have the toggle off of Gus Grissom's life vest.

Joe
    Also wanted to mention that i had created Quonset Point Naval Air Station (circa 1972), when I lived there (9th grade) and my father was the Commanding Officer of the base. I don't have the capabilities like Ed (Falcon 409) does as far as making objects, but i just used existing buildings from other freeware bases and made some other changes via ADE. I give it a "C+", but it is way better than the stock version. I will try to package that up as and load as well (separately).

ATB,
    Deke

Oh, so this "CIMOGT's essex class carriers" is all I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Oh, so this "CIMOGT's essex class carriers" is all I need?
    Along with the air wing model. I will provide instructions.

Members who have read this thread: 1