Gonzos Shipyard - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzos Shipyard

do you have any config file for AICarrier you could share with us?
    This worked straight out of the box for me (adjusted sequence for a stand alone cfg.):

[formation.0]
    title=USS Hancock CV-19
    unit.0=USS_Hancock_loaded, 0, 0
    unit.1=VEH_Robison, -600, -400
    unit.2=USS_CA-68_Baltimore_1950, 600, 400
    unit.3=DD445_ai, 0, -200
    unit.4=Kaman_SH-2C/D_Seasprite, 60, -10

[formation.1]
    title=USS Oriskany CV-34
    unit.0=USS_Oriskany_loaded, 0, 0
    unit.3=DD445_ai, 450,-1200

[formation.2]
    title=USS Shangri-la CV-38
    unit.0=USS_ShangriLa_loaded, 0, 0
    unit.3=DD445_ai, 450,-1200
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Basically what expat said. Everyone is obviously going to have their own preferred formation setup but here's my formations (which I use for testing purposes). I did have an entry for all the carriers both empty and loaded in one formation but it got tiring having 8 carriers sailing along and hopping from one carrier in the fleet to the next!

[formation.10]
    title=USS Bonnehomme Richard CV31
    unit.0=USS_Bonnehomme_Richard, 0, 0

[formation.11]
    title=USS Hancock and Oriskany
    unit.0=USS_Hancock_loaded, 0, 0
    unit.1=USS_Oriskany, 0, 400

Basically just look at the sim.cfg file and copy the entry from the 'title' field for the carrier you want (i.e. title=USS_ShangriLa_loaded) into your aicarriers config (unit.x=USS_ShangriLa_loaded, X, Y)

Cheers
    Gary

Scrounged up an optional paint job for the Shangri-la Scooters. Surprised there are not many old FS2002 Alphasim A-4 and F-8 repaints around . .

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Many thanks Gary and Expat for your swift replies!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Scrounged up an optional paint job for the Shangri-la Scooters. Surprised there are not many old FS2002 Alphasim A-4 and F-8 repaints around . .

Flightsim and Simviation are about it for sites that are left from those days. Avsim suffered that horrible attack, so it's library is not what it was back then for the older files. I'm imgining SOH was mostly CFS back then? Not to mention the hobby wasn't as sophisticated back then, nor was the internet.

Blog Entries
    Hi Gary et al,

First, a huge thanks letting me take a look at these a few months back, and for releasing them to the community last week. They're nothing short of lovely gems, and even as they are, it's palpable how much work and attention they took.

Everything critical works as it should; I personally don't find the IFOLS offset too big a deal, though obviously if it could be addressed, that'd be great. Night lighting is about all that I'd really hope to have working, but even that's for roughly a third of my flying states, so not the end of the world if it never materializes.

If there is any appetite to do a simple alternative deck layout/mod, here's my suggestion. the 1972 USS Oriskany cruise. If the Guy Diotte A-7 can be adapted (not sure if a folded wing model exists, I've only seen the extended wing variant. The VA-153 Blue Tails are a nice scheme, and it would match that of the RAZBAM A-7A/B (pack 2). And the existing RFN F-8 paints.

Alternatively, if someone finds any paints for the AS F-8 or A-4 that Gary used here, we could do up our own Hancock early 70s decks. I just can't find any of those Alphasim paints (the ones for the FS2002 era model).

Anyway - still loving this carrier project, Gary - many thanks.

PS - your Ark IV reference intrigues me. With a "new" reboot version of the lovely AS F-4 coming, I'd be keep to see something that is a bit more up to date than the Flying Stations boat from what, a decade ago? It was nice for it's time, but something a bit newer from which to fly the RN FAA - F-4K would be delightful.

Equally intrigued about the Forestall reference. Hope you and Wombraider come to a positive conclusion.

cheers all,

dl

Hello everyone,
    I have been working on flight deck statics for the CVS folks. Also, i played with Gary's textures (seeking permission and forgiveness at the same time) to come up with Essex, Intrepid, and Wasp. So right now i have completed in MCX the design and placement of some early '60's CVSG (CVSG-60 on ESSEX for now - but will retexture the aircraft to CVSG-52 (WASP) and CVSG-56 (INTREPID) a little later. I may also swap out the guppy Spad's with Willy Fudd's to provide mid-late '60's CVSG variants.

Have to test in sim what frames are like, but here are a few screenshots from MCX.
    After completing the AntiSubmarine Air Wings, i will return to the Training Air Wings (TA-4 and T-2)

Cheers and thanks Gary!

Deke

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ModelConverterX 2020-06-01 12-07-13-13.jpg   ModelConverterX 2020-06-01 12-07-27-27.jpg   ModelConverterX 2020-06-01 12-07-53-27.jpg  

Here are some pix of the difference in the shape of the deck of the Intrepid. I'm not sure where I got the model (MCX pix) I used for the Intrepid. All I did was change the deck and island number. The model is okay but doesn't have the detail of the other Essex ships.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-jun-1-Bonnie Dick.jpg   2020-jun-1-Intrepid.jpg   2020-jun-1-Intrepid3.jpg   2020-jun-1-Intrepid2.jpg   2020-jun-1-Intrepid1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have been working on flight deck statics for the CVS folks. Also, i played with Gary's textures (seeking permission and forgiveness at the same time) to come up with Essex, Intrepid, and Wasp. So right now i have completed in MCX the design and placement of some early '60's CVSG (CVSG-60 on ESSEX for now - but will retexture the aircraft to CVSG-52 (WASP) and CVSG-56 (INTREPID) a little later. I may also swap out the guppy Spad's with Willy Fudd's to provide mid-late '60's CVSG variants.

Have to test in sim what frames are like, but here are a few screenshots from MCX.
    After completing the AntiSubmarine Air Wings, i will return to the Training Air Wings (TA-4 and T-2)

Cheers and thanks Gary!

Deke
    No issue with you creating the textures you want Deke....just keep in mind in my next version that I’m working on, some texture naming and layout may change as I try to address some of the anomalies so if you take another “cut” you may need to rework your original textures accordingly.

Looking good though!

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Here are some pix of the difference in the shape of the deck of the Intrepid. I'm not sure where I got the model (MCX pix) I used for the Intrepid. All I did was change the deck and island number. The model is okay but doesn't have the detail of the other Essex ships.

Joe, that Intrepid "looks" like CIMOGT's version - not the payware one with Bon Homme Richard, Hancock and Lexington, but his freeware rebuild of Gary's original Oriskany.

Anyhow, for all, here are screenshots of my in-sim test of Gary's new set, modified to Essex and Wasp. Have not yet done Intrepid, but plan to do so in the near future. The Stoofs and fudd's are Milton Shupe's fantastic freeware aircraft. Right now, it is a bit heavy on texturing (one gets the momentary black texture pops in the ocean when close enough for the LOD/textures of the statics to be in view. Besides that though, frames in VC are 22-23, and outside are 28-30. Those come down if you are recording in FRAPS though. So, trying to reduce the drawcalls and textures without sacrificing too much of the static aircraft.
    Essex with CVSG-60 has VS-34 and VS-39 Stoofs, HS_9 Seaking, and VAW-33 Guppy Spads. Wasp with CVSG-52 has VS-28 and VS-31 Stoofs, HS-11 Seakings, and VAW-121 Fudds.

For Gary, no worries on any changes you make to the final version. I will stay in step with you if you are agreeable.
    Cheers all,
    Deke

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Essex with Stoofs, Spads, and Seakings.jpg   Essex taxi.jpg   Wasp with Stoofs, Fudds, and Seakings 1.jpg   Wasp with Stoofs, fudds, and Seakings 2.jpg   Wasp launch.jpg  

Type 42 - the ARA Santísima Trinidad D-2

Yes - she was pretty much the same layout as Sheffield....I think i'm right in saying Hercules had Exocet launchers on the boat deck(?) but Trinidad was pretty much the same layout as Sheffield.

I'll see what I can do but shouldn't be difficult....it's probably something Henrik needs as part of his overall package.

Gary
    Definitively - and sorry for being slow in responding, but I haven't been that much online lately.

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Joe, that Intrepid "looks" like CIMOGT's version - not the payware one with Bon Homme Richard, Hancock and Lexington, but his freeware rebuild of Gary's original Oriskany.
    Deke,

You are correct. I went back and looked through my zipped downloads and I have CIMOGT's payware Essex boats. Looks like I bought it a long time ago -Feb 2020. I must be getting a little forgetful (or whatever you want to call it).
    I then went and looked at the .mdl file in the Intrepid folder and it is the Hancock .mdl. I had only installed the Hancock and changed the textures to Intrepid's hull number.
    The B&A crane is still wrong for the Intrepid. I hope Gary can do the Intrepid's deck shape someday.

Those CVS deck layouts look great! CVSG-56 1963 - HS-3, VS-24, VS-27 and VAW-33 Det. 11 (EA-1E).
    Do you want the 1963 HS-3 paints - dark blue & dayglo?

Joe

Boy, I didn't realize how tight the flight deck space was on these Essex boats.
    Working on textures for Hancock's 1964-65 WestPac cruise.
    I think the Razbam A-4C (converted to P3D & Tacpack) really looks on it too.

Only issue is the hump-backed A-4F's on deck..... should be A-4C's.

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Yes, the Razbam A-4C would be ideal for conversion to static scenery bgl's, particularly because of the repaint options that could be applied easily by all as they choose (easier for many than using MDX). Don't know if permission is needed for this or if Ron is still around to ask.

So - i've got a mix of static A-4C's F's, F-8's, A-7's and a document which lists the WestPac and Vietnam carrier strike deployments from 64-75 with the different aircraft types deployed. What I could do is create a generic layout of say, a 65, 67 and 71 deployment with a rough range of aircraft types of deck for that period (for example)

Bon Homme Richard (CVA 31) with CVW-5 (18 Mar 1969— 29 Oct 1969)
    VF-51 F-8J
    VF-53 F-8J
    VA-22 A-4F
    VA-94 A-4E
    VA-144 A-4E

Oriskany ( CVA 34) with CVW-19 (18 Oct 1973—5 Jun 1974)
    VF-191 F-8J
    VF-194 F-8J
    VA-153 A-7B
    VA-155 A-7B
    VA-215 A-7B

I wouldn't do all the repaints but i'd leave generic textures to allow someone to amend appropriate markings as required. I'd need to think about how I structure the various folders and models accordingly for ease of editing....i'll go and have a think about that...

I think the Razbam A-4C (converted to P3D & Tacpack) really looks on it too.
    Wait a minute - is there a P3D conversion of the Razbam A-4C available somewhere?

Only issue is the hump-backed A-4F's on deck..... should be A-4C's.
    Where did you find the VA-216 paints - or did you make them? Are those the FS202 AS or Razbam models as statics?
    Last edited by expat; June 4th, 2020 at 06:49.

Yes, the Razbam A-4C would be ideal for conversion to static scenery bgl's, particularly because of the repaint options that could be applied easily by all as they choose (easier for many than using MDX). Don't know if permission is needed for this or if Ron is still around to ask.
    The Razbam team is still very active, I think mostly designing for DCS, but I just had them help me re-download some of the packages I've purchased, and they responded.

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    These Essex class carriers are very nice. Great job!

I took the liberty of adjusting textures _auto_7.dds and _auto_10.dds to better reflect 60's vintage crew uniforms and MD-3 Flight Deck tractors though.

Unless someone objects, they will be available here for anyone else interested in using them: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oC...HI1NlmdtBtXL65

Looking at the two dds files, IMHO these two files look the same as the originals.

The new files replace the white deck tractors with yellow ones, and change or modify some deck crew uniforms, I think.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

The original files had the crew wearing camouflage trousers and the tractors were white.

The modified files I made changes them to blue trousers and yellow tractors.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Looking at the two dds files, IMHO these two files look the same as the originals.
    Current System Specs :

I converted the A-4C to work with P3Dv4 and Tacpack. The VC still needs work and Tacpack is about 80% working.....but I'll share it as a "DIY" kit once I get it finished.

The static models are the ones that came with the carrier model, so I don't know where they were sourced. They are a little under scale in size, but look OK....especially since they are free

I made the VA-216 paints for the statics as well as the Razbam A-4C.

Wait a minute - is there a P3D conversion of the Razbam A-4C available somewhere?

Where did you find the VA-216 paints - or did you make them? Are those the FS202 AS or Razbam models as statics?
    Current System Specs :

The original files had the crew wearing camouflage trousers and the tractors were white.

Good call - the trousers were heavy denim, normal tractors were yellow. A few tractors were white, but had auxiliary PKP powder bottles in a rack for acting as auxiliary firefighting vehicles. They also had a red diagonal stripe on the sides as I recall. They could tow if necessary, but normally not used routinely.

That would be great to have.

For the 1964 to 1967 time period, we would need some Skyraiders in the mix though...

This site gives a nice breakdown on the Carrier Air Wings (CVW) and the assigned squadrons: http://www.wings-aviation.ch/24-Nava...3-Basis-de.htm

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601
    So - i've got a mix of static A-4C's F's, F-8's, A-7's and a document which lists the WestPac and Vietnam carrier strike deployments from 64-75 with the different aircraft types deployed. What I could do is create a generic layout of say, a 65, 67 and 71 deployment with a rough range of aircraft types of deck for that period (for example)

Bon Homme Richard (CVA 31) with CVW-5 (18 Mar 1969— 29 Oct 1969)
    VF-51 F-8J
    VF-53 F-8J
    VA-22 A-4F
    VA-94 A-4E
    VA-144 A-4E

Oriskany ( CVA 34) with CVW-19 (18 Oct 1973—5 Jun 1974)
    VF-191 F-8J
    VF-194 F-8J
    VA-153 A-7B
    VA-155 A-7B
    VA-215 A-7B

I wouldn't do all the repaints but i'd leave generic textures to allow someone to amend appropriate markings as required. I'd need to think about how I structure the various folders and models accordingly for ease of editing....i'll go and have a think about that...
    Current System Specs :

Would liked to of seen CVW-21 which was deployed on USS Hancock Nov 65- Aug 66 then onboard USS Bon Home Richard-Jan 67 -Aug 67 on either carrier.

I was with F-8 (VF-24) squadron during those times. We had the Spads of VA-215 (Barn Owls)

On second look, I did see the change to blue (dungaree) trou and yellow tractors. Looks better, Nice Job.

Those camo trousers might work on those Marine Gator Freighters (LHA/LHD).
    Last edited by gray eagle; June 5th, 2020 at 05:06.

Members who have read this thread: 0