What do we want to see/need in CFS2 in 2020? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do we want to see/need in CFS2 in 2020?

I would like to see more jets for this sim. I know its not popular but I like what we have already but a lot is dated. I for one would like to see anythign from Saab like the Draken viggen and gripen and all their variants. Also helicpter stoo-preferably a Hind -35 model and all hind variants. Just sayin!

SOH-CM-2020

windows10 and cfs2 mission builder

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Hi. and Happy New Year:

Was the problem with the bases and MB or with your MB in general? If Mission Builder. what OS are you using?

I can't get my MB to work on my PC - it's a pure Win10, not an upgraded Win10 from another OS. I was just wondering if we might have a common problem.

Cheers
    SW
    Hi ShadowWolf/everyone,

I remember having a problem with getting the MB to start in windows10. If memory serves me correctly, it came down to _not_ having any spaces in the path - for example a working path would be:

C:\FlightSims\CFS2_SWPA_43-45\cfs2.exe /BUILDER:

as opposed to:

C:\FlightSims\CFS2 SWPA 43-45\cfs2.exe /BUILDER:

... and run it as administrator.

Having said that, I can only now get it to run on my vanilla install of CFS2 so I've broken something else in the meantime! Anyway removing the spaces might be worth a try,

cheers,

SW

I would really like more WWI area scenery and campaigns. A Halberstadt CL II would be great!
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    I would really like more WWI area scenery and campaigns. A Halberstadt CL II would be great!
    Stoney,
    Flanders is just about ready, although we could go on tweaking for ages! There are already new German hangar sheds and Robert John has created a set of Bessonneau hangars which will go to the library soon.
    After a few binned efforts I am just about finished a Western Front UIRES set for the Royal Naval Air Service and the German Naval Air Service. More "countries" will come in time (RFC, Luftsreitkrafte, Aviation Militaire, USAS, AFC, Aviation Militaire Belge, RAF and USNAS). The country.cfg is complete for all of these.
    BTW, I agree about the Halberstadt CLII. I'd also love to see a Caudron VI and a Short Bomber.

SW..........

........sorry I missed your reply. It is not your bases, it is this rig and the CFS itself. I think when it was reloaded, somehow, I reloaded it without the MB. Besides this rig is gasping for bytes. It is a old Dell Dimension 9100, running win xp sp3. Keep planning on buying a new one and real life throws curves and derails those plans.

WHOOPS! Forgot there is a "SW" and a "Shadow Wolf". Guess I will have to stop some abbreviations in the names!

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    ........sorry I missed your reply. It is not your bases, it is this rig and the CFS itself. I think when it was reloaded, somehow, I reloaded it without the MB. Besides this rig is gasping for bytes. It is a old Dell Dimension 9100, running win xp sp3. Keep planning on buying a new one and real life throws curves and derails those plans.

WHOOPS! Forgot there is a "SW" and a "Shadow Wolf". Guess I will have to stop some abbreviations in the names!
    LOL I forget myself sometimes.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Just because they are multi-lod doesn't necessarily mean they are frame-rate friendly. Witness his German Dorniers. And the Yaks are serviceable. The P-51D Mustang isn't really accurate either, though AcWai's new version did redress this to an extent.

Happy New Year!

I would like to know if there are any frame rate issues with some of my aircraft that were released last year. I have found a new way to make it run faster by switching in the lowest multi-lod model sooner at a distance four time closer. For example, with 16 P-51D in the sky running in the window mode at 1600 X 1200, I could see frame rate of over 125 fps, but it fluctuates wildly between 50-150 fps. I like to use the full frame mode, which has a consistent frame rate of 58-62 fps.

Anyway, here is my new FW-190A8 before it is painted by Alessandro.

We need a more accurate Hellcat. Current models are reasonable facsimiles but not accurate.

AcWai has a good FS2004 model but it has a very heavy poly count, no LODs, and isn't frame rate friendly - wasn't meant to be. But it is beautiful.

Andrew kindly offered it to Team Daedalus to reduce the poly count, add LODs plus of course some other updates to get it working for CFS2. We've not been able to get to it because of the work load queue on the Bf109 family and maybe even getting to an Me 262. It could be more than a year out.

Shessi and AcWai, perhaps if Shessi is willing, it might make more sense to transfer the project?

BTW Andrew, your Fw is looking good, although I was kind of hoping your Focke-Wulf would be an A-3 or A-4. We have many good A-8s already but absolutely none of the earlier versions
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

We have quite a few anti-aircraft guns which happily fire with no gunnery crew. It would be good to see a project upgrading AA guns so that each has at least a gunner. Alternatively, a set of figures would be useful if one was seated and one loading. Robert John's excellent Maxim 37mm cannon and Pen32Win's Bofors gun need no such upgrade.
    Last edited by Ravenna; January 1st, 2020 at 21:44.

I need a Me-410 with breaking parts

SOH-CM-2020

Re: What do we want to see/need in CFS2 in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    That's a great idea - much better than having more & more obscure aircraft that will hardly ever get used. Of course what REALLY needs doing is to bring some of the Asian scenery up to modern standards first, & there's a much smaller pool of resources willing to tackle scenery projects ...
    I may have misinterpreted Shessi's original request, but do we need to limit what is on the want/wish list to things that are not obscure? No-body is suggesting that all wanted/wished for aircraft/scenery/campaigns etc etc have to be built??

Can I make the observation that obscurity depends very much on context? For example we have available in CFS2 the Do335, which AFAIK never became operational, and while some may have been seen by allied pilots airborne, the Do335 never engaged in combat. There are many other examples of really obscure aircraft that have made it into CFS2, even some fictitious aircraft.

Similarly, in a different context, Hungarian members of SOH would (I think) not say that Solyom was obscure, used as it was by the Royal Hungarian Air Force in various roles throughout the war.

On my wish list I would submit that these aircraft are not obscure (except the Hendon!)- all of them were operational in WWII except the Vampire and Hendon:

Weiss Wm 21 Solyom - Operational (Royal Hungarian Air Force), used in combat sorties, 128 built

Repulogpegyar Levente II - trainer/liaison (Royal Hungarian Air Force), 100 built

Letov S 328 - Operational (several air forces including the Luftwaffe), used in combat sorties, 412 built

Lockheed Lodestar - Operational with multiple air forces, 625 built

Douglas DC2 - Operational with multiple air forces, used in combat sorties, 192 built

Supermarine Spitfire VI - Operational (RAF), used in combat sorties, 100 built

Hawker Nisr - Operational, used in combat sorties, 34 built

Fairey Gordon - Operational, used in combat sorties, 186 built

DH Vampire F.1 - missed WWII but of the might-have-beens included in CFS3 it was the one most likely to have been actually used in an extended WWII - over 3,000 built

Bristol Bulldog – Operational (with Finnish air force in WWII), used in combat sorties, 443 built

Me 262A-2a Schwalbe - Operational, ""Sturmvogel" Definitive bomber version retaining only the two lower 30 mm (1.181 in) MK 108 cannon." All the existing CFS2 Me 262s are fighters I believe.

Junkers Ju 88P - Operational, used in combat sorties, more than 40 built

Junkers Ju 86 - Operational with multiple air forces, used in combat sorties, around 900 built

Fiesler Fi 167 – Operational with Croatian forces, used in combat sorties, 14 built. JR Lucariny FS2004 version has been converted for CFS2 by Misson, Peperez and Phil Perrot - but no Croatian skins that I know of.

SM79 – twin engine variants - this has been done by IS4G (I4JRS79B.ZIP), but no Iraqi skins that I know of. Operational with Romanian and Iraqi air forces, used in combat sorties, around 100 built

HP Harrow - operational with the RAF, used in transport sorties, around 100 built - "Seven Harrows were destroyed by a low level attack by Luftwaffe fighters of JG 26 and JG 54 on Evere airfield as part of Operation Bodenplatte"

Fairey Hendon - OK, I admit it, this one is obscure. Operational with the RAF but retired before WWII. 15 built.

... so based on operational status, number built, combat engaged in, I'd say these are all better than the Do335 (etc etc). I'm aware that not everyone will agree!

Anyway ... if I have understood the original question by Shessi, let everyone feel free to say what is on their wish lists!

SW

Shessi made a Ju-88P-4.
    Last edited by Roxane-21; January 2nd, 2020 at 13:39.

brace yourselves, here's my ideas.

Here are my ideas for new cfs2 planes.
    DE: Ju-290/Ju-390, a He-177B and/or a much improved Heinkel HE-100
    IT: Caproni-Vizzola F.4 and/or F.6
    FR: a cfs2 native conversion of Erwin Welker's Bugatti P110
    JP: Nakajima G5N and G8N or fully gmax J7W1 Shinden with vc
    GB: cfs2 native Avro Lincoln and Shackleton, Slingsby Hengist, and/or Spiteful and Seafang
    SE: FFVS J-22 and/or Saab J-21 piston fighter
    FI: Mörkö Morane... why not?
    RU: more accurate Yak-3 with radial engine, Petlyakov Pe-8, Pashinin I-21, Moskalev SAM-13 (not a surface to air missile) or improved Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1
    US: Lockheed XB-30, Boeing B-50, cfs2 native seversky P-35, gmax P-43 Lancer (sorry), Bell P-63 KingCobra, NAA P-64 and/or Gmax P/F-82.

(Whew) my mouth is now mush.

Been away for awhile but, has the ‘AI aircraft landing, and stopping, on an aircraft carrier riddle’ ever been solved?

there are two Me-262 of 1% Team. Me262A-1A and Me262B-U1 all breaking parts.they need to rework the damage setting in .dp meaby I will work in it.

Team Daedalus

As Captain Kurt mentioned, we have our plate full with the Messerschmitt Bf 109 family, and are deeply involved in the "Emil" version right now. We also have an Me 262 that is largely complete, except for the cockpit/VC. As I think may be obvious from our work on the 109F/G, when we get to the 262, we will be doing a number of versions, including fighter, bomber, trainer, nightfighter, as well as the Me 262C-1a.

So, with a little patience, you should be seeing these in 2020. I do not work fast, so it limits the Team output (though other Team members work a lot faster, and do a lot of work outside projects). A lot of the "wish list" items are very interesting, and hopefully others will find the time to do them justice.

Considering that CFS2 was released almost 20 years ago, it is a testimony to it's resiliance and adaptability that it is still around, and going strong......

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    We need a more accurate Hellcat. Current models are reasonable facsimiles but not accurate.

AcWai has a good FS2004 model but it has a very heavy poly count, no LODs, and isn't frame rate friendly - wasn't meant to be. But it is beautiful.

BTW Andrew, your Fw is looking good, although I was kind of hoping your Focke-Wulf would be an A-3 or A-4. We have many good A-8s already but absolutely none of the earlier versions

Shessi and AcWai, perhaps if Shessi is willing, it might make more sense to transfer the project?
    The Hellcat model was designed by Warbirdlover - Jerry. If anyone wants to have the model, he is welcomed to it. I have now found a way to increase the frame rate on a model with heavy poly counts, you just need to build a low poly MLOD model and set it to activate at a setting of 1 meter=4 pixels. It will be activated when a typical fighter becomes approximately 50 pixels.

Thanks for your comments on the FW-190. When I started to build the FW-190, the only good 3-D drawing in the Internet that I could find was a FW-190A8. I also like the 4 cannons on that model. I like to build fighter aircraft and not targets (i.e. bombers and transport aircraft).

Quote Originally Posted by AcWai View Post
    The Hellcat model was designed by Warbirdlover - Jerry. If anyone wants to have the model, he is welcomed to it. I have now found a way to increase the frame rate on a model with heavy poly counts, you just need to build a low poly MLOD model and set it to activate at a setting of 1 meter=4 pixels. It will be activated when a typical fighter becomes approximately 50 pixels.

Thanks for your comments on the FW-190. When I started to build the FW-190, the only good 3-D drawing in the Internet that I could find was a FW-190A8. I also like the 4 cannons on that model. I like to build fighter aircraft and not targets (i.e. bombers and transport aircraft).
    Check your PM, buddy
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Paul,
    Nice words there mate, brought a small tear.... ha ha.

No, you and TD are doing sterling work for CFS2 and Fs9, and personally it warms my heart about the 262's. My all time fave ac, and the model you have is superb, as I've told you it's almost as good as Mike Cyul's Fs9/FSX 262, and we can get the 'pit looking superb as well..

SW,
    No you haven't, thanks for the lists. It's all interesting, relavent and thought provoking. A few things with the list. Several have already been done for CFS2, you've missed my Ju88P here at SOH then? (as Rox's says), the Me262 see above Pstrany, the Ju86 is on my list as I want the P and R models as well. There are also others that will convert to CFS2 such as the Bulldog. As for textures, well you could try asking.

Maxstuka, sorry pal, when hell freezes over....

CK,
    Your Hellcat idea poses a question for me. Is CFS2 a flight simulator or a combat flight simulator. Obviously both, but mainly it's for a CFS. So what level of ac detail do we really need for that purpose? Can we have both, to a certain extent, but will there have to be compromises as the better details the more polys that will/can be a hit on FR's. Take your example, I'm no Hellkitty expert, but there are some pretty good looking F6's in CFS2, even the default one is not that bad (maybe not too accurate, but with good tex and excellent FR's) certainly for combat purposes. Is the one you are suggesting, would it ever be the 'right' one for CFS2 or only as a player ac. If so, then why not save time effort and just convert an FS2004 beauty, use that as a player ac, and use the default F6 as the ai. Absolutely not saying you're wrong in suggesting or wishing, or criticising anything.

So are we asking too much from CFS2, should we be playing other sims/games for such detail? Should we reflect more on what we have and use that to better effect. Thinking laterally to new texs, tuned/accurate airfiles/ac.cfg's and missions/campaign, which would make current ac more accurate, acceptable and usable? Rather than spend huge effort in re-doing the same thing? I'm not saying no we shouldn't, BUT I do think people don't look enough at what we've already got and try and improve those ac (eg UT and his huge range of new texs for old ac, looking superb. And Rami and team with their immersive missions and campaigns). What do you really want and expect out a 20+ year old CFS? Just posing the questions!

BvA,
    Yes the 177B is on my distant list, as is the Ju290/390. As for the weird and wonderful and very rare, it's Fs2004 really or get converting and bring it into CFS2.

AcWai,
    That FR seems to be the standard FR in full frame mode, and if your ac are at that, then great. BUT it's with scenery/external ordinance AND combat effects that you'll see the real effect of your ac, if there are any issues.

Cheers

Shessi

SOH-CM-2020

Thanks Shessi and Roxanne-21

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    done for CFS2, you've missed my Ju88P here at SOH then?
    Hi all/Roxanne-21/Shessi,

somehow I had missed the fact that I'd downloaded your Ju 88P at some time in the past Shessi, after looking at SOH and then on my HDD I found it - now installeD!

so thanks to Roxanne-21 for pointing it out, and thanks to you Shessi for pointing it out and making it in the first place,

cheers,

SW

My wish list is to see Allen make:

Typhoon MkIb (Early/"car door")

Typhoon MkIb (Late/"bubble top")

P-40b (With USAC, British North Africa, and Flying Tiger liveries)

A "Checkertail Clan" paint for his P-47D Razorback

I like Allen's planes as they are very frame rate friendly on my old laptop. Thanks for all you've done so far!

I would also like to thank Shessi for his wonderful Kawanishi E7K1/2 Alf! This is my favorite Japanese float plane!

Very respectfully,

Typhoon Willy
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon Willy View Post
    My wish list is to see Allen make:

Typhoon MkIb (Early/"car door")

Typhoon MkIb (Late/"bubble top")

P-40b (With USAC, British North Africa, and Flying Tiger liveries)

A "Checkertail Clan" paint for his P-47D Razorback

I like Allen's planes as they are very frame rate friendly on my old laptop. Thanks for all you've done so far!
    Maybe we could add to this list more versions of planes Allen already released:

- Spitfire Mk.Vb with non-clipped wings (both standard and "Trop" versions)

- Spitfire Mk.Vc (with clipped and non-clipped wings, both standard and "Trop" versions)

- Hurricane Mk.IIb Trop

- Hurricane Mk.IV

- Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib and Mk.IIc

- B-25G and B-25H gunships

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Is CFS2 a flight simulator or a combat flight simulator. Obviously both, but mainly it's for a CFS. So what level of ac detail do we really need for that purpose? Can we have both, to a certain extent, but will there have to be compromises as the better details the more polys that will/can be a hit on FR's. Take your example, I'm no Hellkitty expert, but there are some pretty good looking F6's in CFS2, even the default one is not that bad (maybe not too accurate, but with good tex and excellent FR's) certainly for combat purposes. Is the one you are suggesting, would it ever be the 'right' one for CFS2 or only as a player ac. If so, then why not save time effort and just convert an FS2004 beauty, use that as a player ac, and use the default F6 as the ai. Absolutely not saying you're wrong in suggesting or wishing, or criticising anything.
    I totally agree with that. We need more frame rate friendly aircraft to be able to recreate great air battles with many aircraft on the screen. And IMHO having two different models of each aircraft (highly detailed player aircraft and low-poly AI aircraft) is not a good solution because of CFS2's infamous 100-aircraft limitation.

Icon22 Reply...

Hello,

Others in this thread will continue putting the aircraft we do have to good use in missions and campaigns. You kids have fun.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Hello,

Others in this thread will continue putting the aircraft we do have to good use in missions and campaigns. You kids have fun.
    ... says the man who requested

TBD Devastator

glass-nosed Mosquito

Ki-21 Sally

SM-79 Sparviero

BR-20 Cigogna

Ju-87D

Members who have read this thread: 5