Scenery Gurus?

Thread: Scenery Gurus?

Scenery Gurus?

I am installing/testing UT's Wake and Marcus. I've tried everything I know, but I stll get thee black texture squares. Any idea on how to get them to display right? If you've seen the screenshots by UT, he doesn't have this problem. I hsve it on both my Win7 and Win10 systems
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EX_047.jpg   EX_048.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Wolf,
    it looks like you have rotated the square. According to NR tutorial it has to be stricly North/South. You can rotate the scenery within the square but not the square itself.
    Cheers
    Achim

Achim

Squares are North-South, it's just SW took screengrabs zoomed in & it's aligned with his airplane direction...

Textures are the usual DXT3 blended backgrounds. I'm on WIN7 & have no display issues. Other beta tester reports no issues too, this scenery will be uploaded very soon.

However, I am concerned that people with "new install" WIN 10 PCS seem to report black squares for airbase backgrounds. Are we losing backwards compatibility as people move to WIN 10 native hardware, & DXT3 textures are the "canary in the mine"?

I don't recall this old sim using DXT3 textures anywhere else, which brings me to another thought - has anyone tried using 444-4 or even 888 format bitmaps for airbase scenery? The 444-4 format seems stable enough, we use it for prop disks all the time. It would offer 4 grades of alpha channel. 888-8 offers 8 grades of alpha, but might be a step too far, process-wise for CFS2 to handle smoothly.
    Last edited by UncleTgt; January 2nd, 2020 at 03:14. Reason: clarity

Hi UncleTgt

Many aircraft are painted using DTX3 including my own and Team Daedalus. It's a good halfway compression point between DTX1 and Extended16 bit 565. The file is 2/3 the size of the 16 bit 565 and the detail is hard to tell apart between those two. I certainly hope that Win10 is not going to be a problem.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    I am installing/testing UT's Wake and Marcus. I've tried everything I know, but I stll get thee black texture squares. Any idea on how to get them to display right? If you've seen the screenshots by UT, he doesn't have this problem. I hsve it on both my Win7 and Win10 systems
    Any possible solutions?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

OK, I can report that DXT3, 444-4 and 888-8 blended bitmaps all work in CFS2 & display OK (for me). The best visual results seem to be with either DXT3 or 888-8, you seem to lose a little subtlety with 444-4, but I'll provide all three texture options when I upload the Marcus & Wake scenery, in case the other texture formats are useful to somebody experiencing display issues in the future.

Hi Shadow Wolf 07,
    I may be of help if I coul have a look into the sca-files of the airfield. Without it is impossible to find out what has gone wrong.
    Cheers

Achim

Achim

Thanks for offering to take a look. FSSC & sca files sent.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Achim

Thanks for offering to take a look. FSSC & sca files sent.
    Quote Originally Posted by achim27619 View Post
    Hi Shadow Wolf 07,
    I may be of help if I coul have a look into the sca-files of the airfield. Without it is impossible to find out what has gone wrong.
    Cheers

Achim
    Thank you guys!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Hooray for UncleTgt et al!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EX_052.jpg   EX_050.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 0