Why are we still running FS2004? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are we still running FS2004?

Yaki-dah Mal!

I think it's as with CFS2. It's relatively easy to get good results in all aspects, therefore more people understand and contribute, so there is more content and maybe a community contribution feel about it all. The more complicated sims that require a lot of tweaks and processes such as CFS3, FSX, P3D and IL-2 etc, there is less content and fewer contributors. Yes when done well they look stunning and better than Fs9, but I think Fs9 is that sweet-spot of input effort and achieving good results, certainly for me it is.

Cheers

Shessi

I would second that. One of the main attractions of CFS2/FS2004 is the simplicity. While it is theoretically possible to build aircraft, and make other changes to/for an FSX installation, the learning curve is steep, and the time required is prohibitive. I enjoy building virtual aircraft, but I barely have enough time to do this for CFS2 (and by extension FS2004). There is no way I'd ever be able to do this for FSx, and CFS3 is just, well, disappointing on so many different levels.

It may around 20 years old, but the flexibility and adaptability of these sims make it as relevant today as it has been all along.

Paul

Good posts guys. I am with you still with an active FS9. I also still have FS8 running from an external drive; still works fine.
    FSX also works beautifully on my 12 year old system that txnetcop built for me back in 2007.

I have backed off all the modeling activities as my eyes struggle too much with the details so maybe I can enjoy flying again. :-)

Enjoy the holidays.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Why fs2004?

Milton,

I have so many years installing and flying your amazingly enjoyable and fulfilling flt sim models in FS 2004. Like you my eye-sight is degrading (not to mention the rest of the chassis). But a good pair of glasses gets me by. With your skills, I was expecting you to go to FSX a long time ago. You and your team's contributions have been huge.

Huub, I fully agree with you on your 'you can have it all' line, and I must make it clear that I did not intend to snipe at you(or indeed anyone else) for your past move to FSX. As you state, you can have the best of both worlds, and the recent PC hardware is upping performance all the time.

FS2004 has become like a well worn pair of hiking boots. Yes, it is well-worn and old - but so easy and comfortable to slip into for some therapeutic flying time. The loss of real-time weather was a recent sad loss. Maybe some enterprising entrepreneur will give us a fix? Like FSUIPC, I would pay for it .

Thanks again to all those that have kept the old sim alive - AND KICKING!

Mal

Members +
    Thank you, ALL, for not forgetting us.. Your addons be it aircraft, textures, whatever, live on.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members who have read this thread: 0