IRIS FSX Phantom best AB effects to use

Thread: IRIS FSX Phantom best AB effects to use

IRIS FSX Phantom best AB effects to use

Hi All,

I've recently been playing with the Native IRIS FGR.2 Phantom for FSX. Among other things I have removed all the AB effects from the model and I am looking for a replacement does anybody have any ideas of the best effects to use. (BTW I have messaged IRIS regarding this model to find out if there are still plans to release a completed FG.1/FGR.2 model for FSX. If the answer is no i was going to pitch for permission to release some of the amended Variants of the existing model that I have altered for my own personal use.) At the present time i am asking for personal use.

Just a few preview shots of what I've been working on (NOTE: just to re-iterate I have Cannot release these without Okay from IRIS. Unless someone knows something I don't)

Many Thanks,

Hooky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yf-4K.jpg   f-4K_full_tanks.jpg  
    Last edited by Hooky722; December 16th, 2019 at 14:16. Reason: I Dunne Spell Good

I'll post up a picture later

Ttfn

Pete

Righto, above are two picture taken at the same location (an airbase in South Wales ) where I worked at the time

Top one is well known around 'the web' ; Sqn Ldr Guy Pearce the unit test pilot at the time, doing his thing
    bottom one is of one of jets at full reheat on the tie down.

Best approximation of this I have seen 'in sim' is one of the freeware F18 packs (for fs9 .. but FX files are same) effect.
    The Phantom Spey had a distinctly 'orange' hue as can be seen.

ttfn

Pete

I remember those days as the aircraft of tornadoes and phantoms and some time buccaneers flying between 76 hanger and 78 hanger. We used to get on the top of the hangers and look down as the aircraft flew through.

Paul Day.
    ex Tornado 10 Sqn. Rigger St. Athan 1983-2010

Quote Originally Posted by paul day View Post
    I remember those days as the aircraft of tornadoes and phantoms and some time buccaneers flying between 76 hanger and 78 hanger. We used to get on the top of the hangers and look down as the aircraft flew through.

Paul Day.
    ex Tornado 10 Sqn. Rigger St. Athan 1983-2010
    Guy Pearce had gone by then, late 82 IIRC, his replacement was a bit, er, more restrained. Best one ever was in 1981, one lunchtime, he asked why no one was out to watch it go as usual....er, its lunchtime sir....everyone is in the mess...cue one LOW beat up of airmans mess.

Ttfn

Pete, rigger, St Athan 80-82, then again 84 -89. Canberra, Phantom, Buccaneer, Harrier and Sea Harrier... don't live that far from you either Paul..

Ive just installed the old Donationware F100C Hun, updated by Henk to FSX, Im using a version with extra work by Lazarus, Im not sure who's responsible for the AB effect, but its very good, maybe a contender

I do hope you get permission to share, even though i have the Milviz and SWS F4's, the old Iris FGR still holds up well, And i dont think the payware company's will provide us with a dedicated FGR anytime soon if at all, so i think your doing valid work

Thanks Ian,

No reply as yet sadly but I appreciate your kind words. The model really isn't bad as is yeah sure some if the animations are a bit rough and the wings don't fold (they seldom folded them anyway on fgr.2's I'm told) the only thing that stops it passing for an fg.1 is the lack of a telescopic nose leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky722 View Post
    Thanks Ian,

No reply as yet sadly but I appreciate your kind words. The model really isn't bad as is yeah sure some if the animations are a bit rough and the wings don't fold (they seldom folded them anyway on fgr.2's I'm told) the only thing that stops it passing for an fg.1 is the lack of a telescopic nose leg.

Yes we did... FG1 was easier as it had hydraulic wing folding by a switch in landing gear bay, (next to redundant switch for extending noseleg btw), some of first FGR2 also had hydraulic fold, most FGR 2 had manual wing fold, either way both sets had to be manually unlocked before folding.

When first delivered to RN, wing fold was completely hydraulic, but after a series of events where the hydraulic locking failed, that part was rendered inactive and manual locking had to be employed.

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Yes we did... FG1 was easier as it had hydraulic wing folding by a switch in landing gear bay, (next to redundant switch for extending noseleg btw), some of first FGR2 also had hydraulic fold, most FGR 2 had manual wing fold, either way both sets had to be manually unlocked before folding.

When first delivered to RN, wing fold was completely hydraulic, but after a series of events where the hydraulic locking failed, that part was rendered inactive and manual locking had to be employed.

Ttfn

Pete
    Thanks Pete, I stand corrected, Thanks for the insight

Hooky

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky722 View Post
    Thanks Ian,

The tailplanes were different, too. Those on the FG.1 were slatted, while those on the FGR.2 weren't.
    It's amazing where you could find a use for Araldite (epoxy resin).

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    The tailplanes were different, too. Those on the FG.1 were slatted, while those on the FGR.2 weren't.
    It's amazing where you could find a use for Araldite (epoxy resin).

Dave
    And had a degree or so extra movement nose up IIRC,
    So that the slat would be effective during launch.

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 1