Windows 12??

Thread: Windows 12??

Windows 12??

Hey all,

I prefer to replace my gaming PC when a new version of Windows comes out. I have read where MS is going to skip Win11 and go with Win12.

Has anybody with a better ear to the ground than me have any info for who, what, when, & where for Win12? I have read that it will be 2020 but I know several Outhouse members more in-tune with the mechanics than myself. Not that I am anxious to drop the money but planning out the budget and such.

Thanks,
    Odie

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Odie,

I read the following post, and near the end of it, the gist is a April Fool's joke? Pete

https://www.quora.com/Is-Windows-12-coming

Microsoft would prefer to just keep the current model of regular upgrades with a major upgrade every year, so W10 will probably be it for the forseeable....

Microsoft would prefer to just keep the current model of regular upgrades with a major upgrade every year, so W10 will probably be it for the forseeable....

I work in IT and have regular meetings with Micro$oft about their OS and applications. Windows 10 is indeed the definitive denomination of the Windows operating system. There will be upgrades and changes made through new builds being released (a lot like Apple's iOS), but there will be no more releases of new windows.

In short: you buy it, you install it and you upgrade it to the latest build version. (something that I personally am not happy about, but who am I?)

If you have to do a clean install after replacing your system or after some disaster, you can download the media creation tool to make some form of bootable installation media. Your license key will remain valid.

In the future, their business model will change. Even with the operating systems they're moving towards the software as a service model. I.e. you don't own your windows, you rent it or use it for a monthly/yearly fee.

EDIT: stay away from the home version of Windows, try to obtain a Professional version or (preferably) an Enterprise or Education version.

Cheers,

Priller
    Last edited by Priller; December 17th, 2019 at 10:57. Reason: added text

Members +
    Why stay away from the Home version?
    For the majority of users, Windows 10 Home edition will suffice. If you use your PC strictly for gaming, there is no benefit to stepping up to Pro. The additional functionality of the Pro version is heavily focused on business and security, even for power users. With free alternatives available for many of these features, Home edition is very likely to provide everything you need.

F
    eatures like group policy management, Assigned Access, and the ability to join a domain are unlikely to be very useful outside of the workplace. Assigned Access allows an admin to lock down Windows and allow access to only one app under a specified user account. Group Policy meanwhile allows you to restrict access to any number of Windows features and configure any setting within the operating system. While this is great from an admin perspective and a good way to set a co-worker's wallpaper to something fun remotely, it’s not very useful in a home environment.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members who have read this thread: 0