Adding Klaus' battleships to ORBX FTX_AA_Honolulu

Thread: Adding Klaus' battleships to ORBX FTX_AA_Honolulu

Adding Klaus' battleships to ORBX FTX_AA_Honolulu

Hi Guys,I bought the new ORBX Honolulu during the ongoing (I think) sale. If you haven't looked at it - you are overlooking a spectacularly well done Oahu (it covers the entire island). I had a brainstorm to add appropriate battleships (from Klaus) around Ford Island. Yes - I know I am mixing era's - but they are just too dxxn good looking to resist!My problem is that I have not been about to get the battleships into the ORBX scenery. I don't have any problem doing this with "normal" scenery, so it is something to do with ORBX. Is there anyone who would care to try this (or otherwise educate me on how to do it)?I am actually using P3Dv4, but I don't think that is pertinent. Best regards,Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Hi Guys,I bought the new ORBX Honolulu during the ongoing (I think) sale. If you haven't looked at it - you are overlooking a spectacularly well done Oahu (it covers the entire island). I had a brainstorm to add appropriate battleships (from Klaus) around Ford Island. Yes - I know I am mixing era's - but they are just too dxxn good looking to resist!My problem is that I have not been about to get the battleships into the ORBX scenery. I don't have any problem doing this with "normal" scenery, so it is something to do with ORBX. Is there anyone who would care to try this (or otherwise educate me on how to do it)?I am actually using P3Dv4, but I don't think that is pertinent. Best regards,Bill
    Bill,

I would be most interested in this as well. I bought the Orbx Honolulu scenery last week, and it is indeed beautiful! Klaus's battleships would be a perfect addition! NC

Hi guys, not sure what your using to place the battleships (Instant Scenery or similar object placement tool?) Either way it is the way ORBX does it's scenery and priorities. First ORBX have a habit of building into their scenery various objects etc and you cannot effectively get rid of them. The only method I have found that works is to create a special CVX file using Instant Scenery or ADE to place the objects i want or need and then making that scenery as an addon it's own directory and at a higher priority than all the other ORBX scenery in the scenery cfg file. I guess I structure my scenery differently to most and have no addon scenery in the FSX addon folder. I use a completely separate directory outside for absolutely everything and that way you can control the priority and layering easily. FSX does not care where the scenery files reside as long as it knows where to find them. ORBX actually do the same thing in a round about way. The other thing I have discovered with ORBX is they layer the configuration priority in reverse to what is commonly stated so the go mesh, lc, libraries, then locality for each area separately or in bulk.

They also cleverly use FSX stock airports and add to them but for more general non airport areas no so easy because you cannot easily identify what is the area but they will prioritise their mods over yours here also, so as I said the only trick I know that works is to get your addon scenery in a different folder to ORBX and to place it number 1 above any ORBX scenery. You may have to disable or quarantine some files if they rely on airports or stock airports to get what you want over the top.

Check out the forum on third party scenery addons and ORBX at their website and forums.

Wouldn't it be easy and better to enjoy a lively AI traffic with routes and times for these ships instead of static objects?
    The ships would be drawn up in this respect, the routes are located at the various piers and from there make small voyages. This creates movement and is much better to look at than only statically anchored ships. That is only a suggestion. I would do it in this way.

greetings
    Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    Wouldn't it be easy and better to enjoy a lively AI traffic with routes and times for these ships instead of static objects?
    The ships would be drawn up in this respect, the routes are located at the various piers and from there make small voyages. This creates movement and is much better to look at than only statically anchored ships. That is only a suggestion. I would do it in this way.

greetings
    Klaus

I think the intention is to try and re-create "Battleship Row" as it was just prior to Dec. 7, 1941..... but I agree that AI traffic is much more interesting to see.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

You could try converting them to scenery objects using ModelConvertX and then use the appropriate scenery tools.

I have been using ModelConvertX to add shipwakes to all Klaus's new ships since the adding them to the sim.cfg so it will be visible in P3dv4 (see the thread on Lexington and Saratoga for more info), and it's been a pretty easy process.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    I think the intention is to try and re-create "Battleship Row" as it was just prior to Dec. 7, 1941..... but I agree that AI traffic is much more interesting to see.

I would be happy, just to have the ships cruising in formation, say into or out of the harbor? NC

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post

I somehow missed the boat, what "battleships" are we talking about..?
    I've seen a lot of posts about carriers....

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    They are included with Klaus's Yorktown Class Carriers download. Get Yorktown, Enterprise, and Hornet and you get the BB's too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    These are the ships in the package:

Ships within the package: 3 Carriers

CV-5 USS Yorktown
    CV-6 USS Enterprise
    CV-8 USS Hornet

9 Battleships

USS_BB-26_South Carolina
    USS_BB-32_Wyoming
    USS_BB-35_Texas
    USS_BB-39_Arizona
    USS_BB-40_New-Mexico
    USS_BB-44_California
    USS_BB-45_Colorado
    USS_BB-48_West Virginia
    USS_BB-60_Alabama

Go to the third page of new files, and its about 3/4 way down the page. NC

I had Bob Lacy make a P3Dv4 placement of four of the battleships around Ford Island as a test. I put his ship"scenery" above my ORBX Honolulu in the scenery Library. Did NOT work! I could not get into "Honolulu" unless I deleted his "Battleship scenery". I would really like to see someone try this again - or do as Klas suggested and make a traffic plan that encompasses the battleships around Ford Island. The best scenario would be to have say three battle individually leave their moorings one after the other and then individually traverse the Pearl Harbor channel to the open sea, Go somewhere together for a few daylight hours and then individually traverse back through the channel to their Ford Island moorings again. In order to accomplish this in would be VERY advantageous to remove 1/ the present day bridge from Ford Island to the mainland (Oahu), and 2/ the present day USS Missouri and it's VERY long visitors platform. I was stationed on Ford Island when both the New Jersey and Enterprise visited Pearl Harbor. Turning around is not feasible in the narrow channel between Ford and the inlet into the destroyer and submarine squadrons. The present day era depicted in the "Honolulu" scenery (with Missouri) takes up TWO of the original battleship mooring spots (both of which normally had two battleship tided up along side each other). I am not talented enough to either remove what is necessary - or the write the required traffic plan - but I will provide the photo references and experiences to anyone who does have the talent. I sure hope someone volunteers! Bill

AI Boat Traffic

I don't know if this works in P3DV4x or just FSX but (please don't take offense being called a "Dummie" by the pdf LOL) This is what I used to program my carriers and ships to come and go from NAS Alameda when I created that elaborate scenery a few years ago. It is really not hard to do and a lot of fun and satisfaction when accomplished. You have the right idea about AI Ships. Like AI Aircraft they are in their locations until they get underway(take off). If you want them to be there all day then you program their departure at night or very early like 02:00 local time and come back at say 07:00 local and then they will stay there all day. You could do this with more than just the BB's but a carrier and Aegis cruiser too. They are available free online.

https://return.mistymoorings.com/faq...%20Dummies.pdf you will also need Google Earth.

Success

Bob Lacy and myself have been able to install a full set of battleships around Ford Island, along with the USS Lexington (CV-2). We are very fortunate that Klaus' gorgeous battleships include the USS West Virginia in her configuration that we need. Screenshots will follow as soon as I can add the applicable new cruisers, destroyers and the USS Neosho added. I need some help: 1/ I have been unable to locate the modern Arleigh Burke destroyer that appears and moves in the channel along Ford Island. I need to delete it. 2/ I need to identify which of the ORBX Honolulu texture .agn files is the one that shows Ford Island. 3/ How wide was the NAS Ford Island runway? Any help will be most appreciated, Best regards to you all, Bill

I think 4 or 5 Busses wide
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wide.jpg  

Any more information on this?
    Rob Schreiber

Honolulu 1940?

It seems here that you are creating Honolulu in 1940-41 before December 7th but the above 2 screen shots are Google current day. None of that was there then so I'm confused. You need to Google search for Hawaii maps from then and work with them. 91st BG has WWII scenery you can find by Google Honolulu 1941 FSX https://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com...oadshangar.htm

Calclassic Scenery has Honolulu and all the other Hawaii Airports as they were in 1959 though I know is a lot later, the island is still much simpler than today and includes Hickham AFB.

Hope this helps you guys.

Calclassic has PHNL for 50's-60's era scenery, but the 91st BG has a scenery for Pearl Harbor 1941. (https://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com/) You might contact them for a copy. (I do NOT advocate joining just to rob sceneries!) While the Calclassic scenery is for FS9, I am not sure what sim the 91st scenery is for. Beware! Any FS9 scenery will have to be modified to work in P3Dv4! You will have to convert the scenery libraries to at lest FSX Native, exclude and redo the airport backgrounds and landclass. (At a minimum) FS9 Lanclass shows as BLACK in P3Dv4. MAIW has a pretty good tutorial for getting started (https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing...ges-to-fsx-p3d) and as always Google is your best friend.

Members who have read this thread: 0