Flying Stations closing shop - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flying Stations closing shop

Can anyone help? I have trouble getting the Buccaneer S2 catapulted. To begin, when you arm it, its tilted backwards. Upon release it flies all over the place and crashes.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Can anyone help? I have trouble getting the Buccaneer S2 catapulted. To begin, when you arm it, its tilted backwards. Upon release it flies all over the place and crashes.

Cees
    In real life it was launched with the nosewheel well off the ships deck. The bridle attachment hooks were positioned so when the catapult took up the slack the Bucc pivoted about the main wheels and ran along the deck nose up to impart a positive angle of attack. It needed all help possible duting launch as the RN cats were quite short and less powerful compared to USN cats.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    In real life it was launched with the nosewheel well off the ships deck. The bridle attachment hooks were positioned so when the catapult took up the slack the Bucc pivoted about the main wheels and ran along the deck nose up to impart a positive angle of attack. It needed all help possible duting launch as the RN cats were quite short and less powerful compared to USN cats.
    Thanks Harry,

I get that, but the aircraft is not going into the air as it is supposed to.

Cees

Are you getting proper thrust, flaps set (if any available), cold cat-shot? Buccaneer S1 pictured. Does yours look similar?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1-launching.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	77956
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Are you getting proper thrust, flaps set (if any available), cold cat-shot? Buccaneer S1 pictured. Does yours look similar?

Yes I'm doing all that. When I rely on the built in launch bar the plane makes a few quirky jumps and crashes. When I use an entry I cooked up I get airborne with a nosewheel that won't retract. I'm on the verge of giving up on this one.

Cees

Cees Which Bucc are you flying? (Or not as the case may be) I've read in real life it seems to have needed strange control and flap settings for launching. I have a book of memoirs of a naval test pilot who saw the Bucc into carrier service, I'll look it up and report back.

Cees Which Bucc are you flying? (Or not as the case may be) I've read in real life it seems to have needed strange control and flap settings for launching. I have a book of memoirs of a naval test pilot who saw the Bucc into carrier service, I'll look it up and report back.
    It's the S2 from Flying Stations. Is there another version, a 32bits one?

Cees

Hi Cees

There is an earlier one from Alphasim which I don't think has the depth of systems like the Flying Stations production. There is also that from UKMil which I think is mainly RAF for land based flights.
    Catapult launches seem to have been with full flap down to get maximum lift with full bleed air blow and 5 degrees of nose down trim set. I'll keep digging.

Mike.

Hay Cees,

Probably a mute point but as per Mikes response did you ensure appropriate wind over deck for launch (carrier steaming into the wind with 20-25 knots or more WOD), select full flaps, blow control to ON, and appropriate nose down trim? (I think from the flying stations notes zero trim for light loading with no stores and for heavier aircraft 3-4 nose down trim or more depending on weight (check the tailplane trim settings gauge lower left in front of the throttle and just below gear indicator).

I've noticed (when i've been using the flying stations S2) that if I don't have this setup correctly (certainly correct nose down trim according to weight) the aircraft tends to over rotate on launch and crashes.

Gary

Reinstalled this one and now it's all peaches and cream!

Cees

Hi Cees

There is an earlier one from Alphasim which I don't think has the depth of systems like the Flying Stations production. There is also that from UKMil which I think is mainly RAF for land based flights.
    Catapult launches seem to have been with full flap down to get maximum lift with full bleed air blow and 5 degrees of nose down trim set. I'll keep digging.

Mike.
    Nose down trim needed to balance the tailplane flaps (yes, the Bucc had FLAPS on tailplane not separate elevators!)

ttfn

Pete

Think I found out what was causing this: the Buccaneer is not compatible with the RFN gauge! Or have people other insights? As soon as I changed back to the original panel.cfg, everything was okay again!

Cees

Members who have read this thread: 1