Mysterious Mis-Credited Upload

Thread: Mysterious Mis-Credited Upload

Mysterious Mis-Credited Upload

This morning I looked at he latest downloads page and was amazed to find a package of skins for the old Aeroplane Heaven model of the Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket. There was my own Avatar with my name next to it as the uploader. In the commentary it said that I was the painter. But I did not paint nor upload the package!

Since it was uploaded under my name I was able to delete it from the library, but I am still rather angry that this happened and very curious about how it was possible?

I sent Rami a PM asking if he had any ideas, but I know he's got plenty of more important stuff on his mind with is surgery coming up soon.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Does anyone have a clue how it could happen?

For years developers have grumbled about people who use their work without credit. This is the flip side - someone blaming me for their work.

Very strange and I hope Rami is able to provide an answer. Even I as admin can't upload under an other name/userid than my own. As librarian Rami might be able to upload as somebody else, but I don't expect he will do this without consulting the member involved first.

A puzzled Huub.

Erm Mick, you did do a set of repaints for the AH Skyrocket, you said so yourself here...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post250966

I think the file table had a glitch over weekend, as a couple of old files showed up as new

Ttfn

Pete

Icon9 Reply...

Mick,

My bad, you can blame me, was trying to do a little library cleanup. Check your PMs.

Others...Because I loathe separate fixes, patches, and updates, often I work diligently to combine them to make archiving and searching easier. The last couple of days I’ve been rooting around in the library attic with a flashlight. Usually when I do, I reset the date and time to “kick” it up to the front of the library to make it available in case members need it.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Mick,
    My bad, you can blame me, was trying to do a little library cleanup. Check your PMs.
    Others...Because I loathe separate fixes, patches, and updates, often I work diligently to combine them to make archiving and searching easier. The last couple of days I’ve been rooting around in the library attic with a flashlight. Usually when I do, I reset the date and time to “kick” it up to the front of the library to make it available in case members need it.
    Ah ha! That explains it! It looked like someone was uploading with my member ID. I had no idea that it was something so innocent. I'm relieved!

Now that's sorted...can you re upload them please Mick?

Thanks

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Now that's sorted...can you re upload them please Mick?
    Thanks
    Ttfn
    Pete
    Yep, I just did that. I guess Rami must do the librarian thing before they show up on the download page.

I was about to add a comment that one reason I was primed to be annoyed by what appeared to be someone using my identity - as if that wasn't annoying enough - is that no long ago someone dug out something I'd uploaded myself a long time back and re-uploaded it under their own name. Even though I've pretty much stopped worrying about piracy of freeware, that sure was annoying!

Reply...

Mick,

I completely understand. Normally, these are usually updates where the original uploader is long since departed from the sim world. But even with active members, this usually isn't an issue. In the world of cyber security, I appreciate users that are hyper vigilant.

As I said in the PM, I think these files of yours were originally uploaded as part of the SOH library restoration project years back after we had that massive server crash. The cattle call went out to upload all files which users had either uploaded themselves or had backed up and uploaded on behalf of other users to restore the files. It was then my job to go in and match the upload to the user; these two files looked like part of this effort.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Mick,

I completely understand. Normally, these are usually updates where the original uploader is long since departed from the sim world. But even with active members, this usually isn't an issue. In the world of cyber security, I appreciate users that are hyper vigilant.

As I said in the PM, I think these files of yours were originally uploaded as part of the SOH library restoration project years back after we had that massive server crash. The cattle call went out to upload all files which users had either uploaded themselves or had backed up and uploaded on behalf of other users to restore the files. It was then my job to go in and match the upload to the user; these two files looked like part of this effort.
    Rami,

Well, I sure do appreciate your efforts. I'm sure plenty of others do to.

Prayers and good wishes for your surgery!

Mick

Good job rami for fixing this issue

and good luck with surgery

Members who have read this thread: 0