Shooting at NAS Pensacola this morning

Thread: Shooting at NAS Pensacola this morning

Shooting at NAS Pensacola this morning

Am sure most have heard/read the news about the tragedy at NAS Pensacola this morning. Details, of course, still to come. Four dead, including the shooter, who (from some news outlets reporting), was a pilot from Saudi Arabia, and was training here. At least 8 other people were injured. Shooter shot & killed by Escambia County Sheriff Deputy.

The shooting is being investigated as a act of terrorism. Navy Chief

P.S. I am currently in Houston. Came here with my wife for our grandsons first birthday. Woke to see the news of the shooting this morning. Sidenote: last I read, the base is (or was) on lockdown. I expect ALL of the other Navy bases here (Corry Station, Saufley, and Whiting Field) will be on high security too. The VA clinic as well. We return to Pensacola next Monday. I won't be in a rush to go down to NAS Pensacola for a while.
    Last edited by Navy Chief; December 6th, 2019 at 12:12.

It's getting weird, Chief! Second Navy shooting in 2 days. Pearl Harbor yesterday
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    It's getting weird, Chief! Second Navy shooting in 2 days. Pearl Harbor yesterday
    It is weird. Ironic, here at NSA Millington, we had a practice lock down a couple days ago. Gates closed.

As usual, the networks get a lot of info wrong. Pensacola NAS is mostly classroom training, not flight training per se - that is done at Primary outlaying sites in the greater area complex.

However the Blues are there, joint flight officer (non-pilot) flight training,and the Naval Aviation Museum.

Training for prospective pilots is classroom, very intense and thorough. The foreign students mostly get trained in helicopters by the Navy. The Air Force picks up most of the jet training for foreign students.

A sad event though - it will be interesting to see if the real motive is unearthed.
    Last edited by Mike71; December 6th, 2019 at 16:40.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    It is weird. Ironic, here at NSA Millington, we had a practice lock down a couple days ago. Gates closed.
    ACK! Not only RTC Sandy Eggo, but now NATTC, Memphis/Millitngton, Tenn. 9 months of AFUN P school, AFU 'A' School, and AT 'A' School.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Appears to be done by a Saudi covert terrorist.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

I have a lot of questions about this incident. For starters...
    (1) Where did he get the gun?
    (2) Why were Escambia County Sheriff's Office deputies the first responders and not Base Security?
    (3) How thoroughly are foreign military students vetted by OUR agencies before being allowed to enter the country and attend service schools?
    I fear we may be seeing the start of organized jihad terrorism here in the US. A naval base this week, maybe a shopping mall or airport terminal next month. The recurring connection to Saudi Arabia ever since 9/11 is suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I have a lot of questions about this incident. For starters...
    (1) Where did he get the gun?
    (2) Why were Escambia County Sheriff's Office deputies the first responders and not Base Security?
    (3) How thoroughly are foreign military students vetted by OUR agencies before being allowed to enter the country and attend service schools?
    I fear we may be seeing the start of organized jihad terrorism here in the US. A naval base this week, maybe a shopping mall or airport terminal next month. The recurring connection to Saudi Arabia ever since 9/11 is suspicious.

Regarding Escambia County Sheriffs being the First Responders....... I can't say with all certainty, but I do not believe the base security is capable or trained for such situations. ECSO is, however, and very capable. As an aside, Sheriff David Morgan is highly regarded in our county. He has been reelected four times! There's almost always one of their Suv's near the gate. Am not surprised they were the responders. Base security "guards" the gate and does traffic enforcement etc... But situations like this? Er, no. NC

Also....the security at the gate isn't (or wasn't) very tight. They used to ask, "Do you have a firearm in your vehicle?" As if anyone would be dumb enough to admit it. For a long time now, they hadn't even done that.....

6 saudis questioned

Saw on Fox news this AM that six Saudi Nationls were detained and three of them allegedly were taking video of the shooting at the time.

I can imagine that all Mil gates will either do a random vehicle search (they use to do that) or search more often then that.

https://www.foxnews.com/us

Saw on Fox news this AM that six Saudi Nationls were detained and three of them allegedly were taking video of the shooting at the time.
    This can be seen every day anywhere on this planet. When something happens, the first thing many people do is using their smartphone to take pictures/videos.

I can imagine that all Mil gates will either do a random vehicle search (they use to do that) or search more often then that.

I predict ECSO will have a increased presence on all bases in the Pensacola area, at least for a while. NC

saw on fox news this am that six saudi nationls were detained and three of them allegedly were taking video of the shooting at the time.

Now THIS...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/naval-air...nation-of-evil

WTF. Grrrrr...Navy Chief

Fox-Bloody-News??
    Not worth turning your TV on for!
    As for Saudi Arabia, a nation that should be shunned, however, as they hold a monopoly on Oil one could say the West is firmly in their grasp.
    Or as we Aussies might put it, 'They gotcha by the short and curlies!'

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Never thought about a shooting while stationed there for 4 years and we had foreign students, but I don't ever remember having an active shooter drill. Fast-forward to the Ft. Hood, TX shooting (glad I took an early lunch), active shooter drills were the priority.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 0