The 461st Bomb Group is open for business!

Thread: The 461st Bomb Group is open for business!

Hybrid View

The 461st Bomb Group is open for business!

The 461st Bomb Group is now open for business and accepting applicants! We will attempt to recreate many of the actual missions that the 461st flew during WWII using FSX/P3D, Tacpack, JoinFS, and FSX@War. I have been working on a custom FSX@War pack while Richard has been busy working on the website. We are flying the Virtavia B-24 (Payware) or the Alphasim B-24 (Freeware) while awaiting release of the Flight Replicas B-24.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 461bghliberaidersbkobv_540x364.jpg  

As an option for people that are unwilling or unable to purchase payware, I have converted the Alphasim B-24 Freeware to FSX Native and added Tacpack weapons to it. While quite old, it is functional and works in P3Dv4.5.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-24 Freeware.jpg  

Very nice website. It is about time someone honored the Liberator. Great aircraft. Now with Flight Replicas B-24 on the drawing boards very appropriate. Thanks
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Very nice website. It is about time someone honored the Liberator. Great aircraft. Now with Flight Replicas B-24 on the drawing boards very appropriate. Thanks
    Thank you for the compliment. Come and join us. If you don't have the Virtavia B-24J you can download the Alphasim B-24J on our website that edakridge just converted to FSX/P3D all versions native with Tacpack if you are waiting for the FR B24. For an "ol' timer" (like me LOL) its not bad for an interim to fly.

Working today on finishing up the FSX@War pack. (The first 15 targets anyway)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Target #15.jpg  

Getting in some mission testing

Flying with an AI group, expecting to get jumped by BF-109's.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSjJIsI.jpg   muRp7UR.jpg   uX43yyA.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post

The 461st Bomb Group is now open for business and accepting applicants! We will attempt to recreate many of the actual missions that the 461st flew during WWII using FSX/P3D, Tacpack, JoinFS, and FSX@War. I have been working on a custom FSX@War pack while Richard has been busy working on the website. We are flying the Virtavia B-24 (Payware) or the Alphasim B-24 (Freeware) while awaiting release of the Flight Replicas B-24.

Does anybody know why the motto is "Al ataque", written in Spanish?

Spanish Motto

Quote Originally Posted by jagl04 View Post
    Does anybody know why the motto is "Al ataque", written in Spanish?
    I will find out the answer for you from our historian and post it here.

Al Ataque

According to the our historian the president of the 461st BG Reunion Group, our motto is Latin not Spanish though they are close and it means TO THE ATTACK.

Sorry, both "al" and "ataque" are Spanish. Latin would be "Ad Oppugnatio" or any one of about a dozen synonyms for attack.

Not A Scholar

I am repeating what the real 461st historian says their motto is. I studied Latin about 60 years ago now and really don't remember much. Since I just Googled it (the world-wide accepted authority on everything LOL) yes it's Spanish not Latin. In any case it's their 75 year old motto from where, sadly there isn't but a handful of the hundreds of guys who survived left who I would guess probably really don't remember where it came from. Thank you for the question and for the correction. Since the motto is on a banner on their Group Patch it was possibly designed by someone in the Bomb Group. Alas again, 75 years later who designed it is unknown.

seeing that old A2A model made me think of my old B-24 paints, so I had a look, and lo and behold, I painted a 461st aircraft for the Alphasim B-24 as well:
    14-1065

Richard, as for the nose of Squeezie being yellow, I'm not so sure. I have looked at lots of old Mustang shots for all my P-51 paints, and quite often, red will look really light in these old photographs.
    Also, I don't think the droptanks have a yellow front, the darker part is dark because of the shadow of the wing, I'm sure the front of the tank is just bare metal. I've never seen painted drop tanks.
    As for the checkers, I know they can be a pain to do! But if you look at the picture, you'll see they line up along the front of the tail, and I don't think yours do? The good news, if you decide to redo them, is that are less of them I think...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Thank You

After all of them merging together in my old eyesight, LOL, I agree you are right. Photoshop is so cool!!! Each row or some individuals are each a layer so not difficult to correct. I counted the squares on the horizontal stab and will carefully count them on the vertical stab and the fuselage better. I thank you for your observation and I will be correcting this to be more accurate. I do not have ANY other reference that does not show the nose and spinner anything but red so will correct that too. My mentor when I was a shipmodeler and restorer of the Smithsonian Institute taught me that you do it right or you don't do it because you are preserving history. Your model (repaint) may be all that's left in the future. Again thanks and its back to the paintshed. At least I don't have to do the P-47. I just downloaded Tom Weiss repaint for the 325th at the A2A Forum. Great job on the Alphasim B-24 for the 461st, if you PM me a link, with your permission I will share it on the website.

Members who have read this thread: 1