The 461st Bomb Group is open for business!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 461st Bomb Group is open for business!

The 461st Bomb Group is open for business!

The 461st Bomb Group is now open for business and accepting applicants! We will attempt to recreate many of the actual missions that the 461st flew during WWII using FSX/P3D, Tacpack, JoinFS, and FSX@War. I have been working on a custom FSX@War pack while Richard has been busy working on the website. We are flying the Virtavia B-24 (Payware) or the Alphasim B-24 (Freeware) while awaiting release of the Flight Replicas B-24.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 461bghliberaidersbkobv_540x364.jpg  

As an option for people that are unwilling or unable to purchase payware, I have converted the Alphasim B-24 Freeware to FSX Native and added Tacpack weapons to it. While quite old, it is functional and works in P3Dv4.5.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-24 Freeware.jpg  

Very nice website. It is about time someone honored the Liberator. Great aircraft. Now with Flight Replicas B-24 on the drawing boards very appropriate. Thanks
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Very nice website. It is about time someone honored the Liberator. Great aircraft. Now with Flight Replicas B-24 on the drawing boards very appropriate. Thanks
    Thank you for the compliment. Come and join us. If you don't have the Virtavia B-24J you can download the Alphasim B-24J on our website that edakridge just converted to FSX/P3D all versions native with Tacpack if you are waiting for the FR B24. For an "ol' timer" (like me LOL) its not bad for an interim to fly.

Working today on finishing up the FSX@War pack. (The first 15 targets anyway)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Target #15.jpg  

Getting in some mission testing

Flying with an AI group, expecting to get jumped by BF-109's.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSjJIsI.jpg   muRp7UR.jpg   uX43yyA.jpg  

Getting Closer

Ed and I have been making our way from the U.S. down through South America and next week will cross the South Atlantic to Africa the last stop before Italy. As you can see above he has done tons of work in FSX At War for the missions that were actually flown by the 461st starting in April of 1944. Anyone who wants to can fly the FSX/P3DV4x B-24 that Ed has updated to the sim and made TACPACK ready and join us. We both are looking forward to the FR B-24 but in the meantime having a really great time together.

Hey Tgycgijoes, out of curiosity how do you pronounce your name ..lol

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    Hey Tgycgijoes, out of curiosity how do you pronounce your name ..lol
    TonkinGulfYaghtClubGIJoes ?
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

TGYCGIjOEs

Yes except yaght should be yacht LOL! I am a Navy Vietnam Veteran serving two tours in Vietnam aboard the USS America CVA66 with Airwing 6 and Airwing 9 emparked aboard. In 1966 CIC Surface Warfare and in 1970 ComCarDiv 2 Staff as the Air Warfare Coordinator for the Admiral. That's my history.

It all started out my personally creating a 1:6 scale aircrew for a S2F RC Aircraft and it ballooned into a business. I was in a forum for 1:6 collectors. As photos were posted of custom items, others asked if they could buy them. I setup us up a website and the rest was history. For 10 years my wife and I created custom-made uniforms for 12 inch action figures to replicate our clients uniforms right down to medals/ribbons and buttons all miniaturized with our CAD mills, special printer and embroidery equipment. We served all five services and loved it. The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club GI jOEs was the flagship for U.S. Navy and Coast Guard then Easy Company which was US Army; USAAF; USAF and finally Parris Island Creations obviously for USMC. I had sub contractors I worked with but it was primarily my wife and myself. She learned her skills from her 28 years with a company renowned for creating the Academy Award "Oscar". Sadly Black Friday ended it all for the business, but God had a plan just like Job in the Bible we thought we lost it all and we have even more now than then. When he closes one door he opens another. I loved all the joy we brought to a lot of servicemen, servicewomen and their families. We were in the process of creating a U.S. Navy female officer for her husband and daughters to give her for Christmas in 2001. On September 12th, the day after 9-11 we got a telephone call from her husband to know if it was any way possible for us to complete and ship it that week. As it turned out we were just finishing up early. She worked at the Pentagon and her office was spared from the destruction of the terrorist plane but a lot of her friends weren't and she was in a really bad place. We sent it out to them by Overnight Flash UPS so that it got there the next morning. I still have the note her husband and kids sent to us. Of all the uniforms we made that one is the most special and the ones we did for a team of 4 USAF Honor Guards were the coolest. We had all the Honor Guard Equipment to serve as reference for miniature duplication. I cast the buckles by hand and sewed real leather belts from kangaroo leather which for miniaturists is the material of choice. I found out about it from the miniature horse collectors who use it for saddles and tack. We had special software for our embroidery machine to be able to reduce the artwork and digitize it for the multiple colors of unit patches and rank insignia. We produced the cording on a special loom for every branch of U.S. Army service in the exact colors to go on overseas caps . My Marine coworker at Parris Island Creations, his name for the division, who is gone now a Desert Storm vet gave us our motto: "WE DO IT RIGHT OR WE DON'T DO IT". We kept to that promise with every order. Life goes on but all the memories of good times still remain. All that to answer a simple question. We are very proud to have been able to serve a lot of vets.

Thank You

Thank you for letting me share this here by asking the question. Its been a while since I brought up the memories which are good ones.

And I'm proud to be working side by side with you on the 461st venture.

Thank You

Me too. Its going to be great!!

FSCAI/FSX@War/JoinFS Testing

We did a little mission testing today and things are moving in the right direction. Many thanks to Dutch for his FSCAI program and his help in coding this mission. It does work as you can see from my #1 engine. LOL

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EFWW6U6.jpg   7rrYM6J.jpg   ruR1TJ2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post

The 461st Bomb Group is now open for business and accepting applicants! We will attempt to recreate many of the actual missions that the 461st flew during WWII using FSX/P3D, Tacpack, JoinFS, and FSX@War. I have been working on a custom FSX@War pack while Richard has been busy working on the website. We are flying the Virtavia B-24 (Payware) or the Alphasim B-24 (Freeware) while awaiting release of the Flight Replicas B-24.

Does anybody know why the motto is "Al ataque", written in Spanish?

Spanish Motto

Quote Originally Posted by jagl04 View Post
    Does anybody know why the motto is "Al ataque", written in Spanish?
    I will find out the answer for you from our historian and post it here.

Al Ataque

According to the our historian the president of the 461st BG Reunion Group, our motto is Latin not Spanish though they are close and it means TO THE ATTACK.

Sorry, both "al" and "ataque" are Spanish. Latin would be "Ad Oppugnatio" or any one of about a dozen synonyms for attack.

Not A Scholar

I am repeating what the real 461st historian says their motto is. I studied Latin about 60 years ago now and really don't remember much. Since I just Googled it (the world-wide accepted authority on everything LOL) yes it's Spanish not Latin. In any case it's their 75 year old motto from where, sadly there isn't but a handful of the hundreds of guys who survived left who I would guess probably really don't remember where it came from. Thank you for the question and for the correction. Since the motto is on a banner on their Group Patch it was possibly designed by someone in the Bomb Group. Alas again, 75 years later who designed it is unknown.

SOH-CM-2023
    The translation is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Latin.jpg  

Motto

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    The translation is:
    thank you but we know that already. Our historian the Group CO from 1943-46 is going to email one of the last living veterans who were there from the formation of the Group here in the USA and see if he remembers its source.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    thank you but we know that already. Our historian the Group CO from 1943-46 is going to email one of the last living veterans who were there from the formation of the Group here in the USA and see if he remembers its source.
    That would be great to know. I bet there's a story there.

Lost In History

I'm afraid that it still may remain a mystery like so many others lost in the past but here is what we DO know according to our 461st Historian whose father was the commanding officer and spoke several languages he says:

It does appear to be Spanish. I checked with Google myself and discovered
    something interesting. Starting with "Al Ataque", the detection is that
    it's Spanish, but the translation to English only says "Attack". I get
    nothing from Italian or Latin. If I start with "To the Attack" and asked
    for a translation to Spanish, Italian and Latin, the only one that comes
    close is Spanish which gives me "Al Ataque". Looks like it's definitely
    Spanish.

As to who came up with it, I still think my father did, but I can't prove
    it. I did talk with a veteran, but he can't remember that level of detail.
    He was there, but all he remembers is it suddenly appeared. He said he had
    come up with the lightning bolt that was on the bomb. The details about who
    was involved after that is lost in time.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I'm afraid that it still may remain a mystery like so many others lost in the past but here is what we DO know according to our 461st Historian whose father was the commanding officer and spoke several languages he says:

It does appear to be Spanish. I checked with Google myself and discovered
    something interesting. Starting with "Al Ataque", the detection is that
    it's Spanish, but the translation to English only says "Attack". I get
    nothing from Italian or Latin. If I start with "To the Attack" and asked
    for a translation to Spanish, Italian and Latin, the only one that comes
    close is Spanish which gives me "Al Ataque". Looks like it's definitely
    Spanish.

As to who came up with it, I still think my father did, but I can't prove
    it. I did talk with a veteran, but he can't remember that level of detail.
    He was there, but all he remembers is it suddenly appeared. He said he had
    come up with the lightning bolt that was on the bomb. The details about who
    was involved after that is lost in time.

Thanks a lot for your interest and your inquires. "Al ataque" is the most common war cry of the Spanish troops when we charge against our enemies. It is not surprising to find Spanish words in many states of the USA (in fact, "los Angeles", "Florida", "Colorado" and "Nevada" are Spanish words, as a few examples), but it was more surprising for me to see a Spanish war cry as the motto of a modern bombing group founded in Utah in 1940.

Members who have read this thread: 1